purplespeckle
purplespeckle Posts: 652
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
my hands swell up when i walk on the treadmill. ?! :(
thoughts?

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I was in a group training to walk a 5K this past summer and that happened to me a few times. The trainers there recommended moving my arms more (power walking!) or even shaking them above my head a bit while walking if I needed to. I can't remember what the exact reason it happened was though!
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    I'm not sure what causes it, but I used to have the same problem. Staying well hydrated seemed to help me. Also, doing some movements that involved my hands while walking helped too. Hope you find something that helps!
  • jhdh
    jhdh Posts: 9
    You are losing circulation in your hands when you walk because your hand are down. Try walking with light weights, like 1 pound in each hand and that will help.
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    mine do it too...i drink probably 3 bottles of water while i walk.....and i use some hand weights a little too...seems to help keep them moving..dont know the cause though..
  • Keep them moving & raise them over your heart occasionally during your workout. It's a circulation issue :)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    It is very common and probably happens when you walk normally. My hands do it when I have extended walking times on a treadmill or not. I have several friends I walk with whose hands do the same thing.

Imagine your hands are in a cintrifuge over and over you are slinging them back and forth it is only likely the blood and fluid will start to build. That is why you see so many people holding their hands up arms bent in a walking "fast" type position.

it is a blood flow thing.
  • thanks everyone for the info. i'll give those things a shot. and someone on this thread mentioned walking with 1 lb weights...my treadmill CAME with 1 lb weights! thats so great! thanks for all the tips everyone!
  • jeorwa
    jeorwa Posts: 92 Member
    Mine do it too if I let my arms swing, or rest them on the treadmill. I have to curl my arms up and keep my hands chest level to get my hands not to swell.
This discussion has been closed.