So much different advice!

Options
Hi,

Info: Age - 26, height - 5ft6, SW - 11 stone 11, CW - 10 stone 12, GW - ??? 10 stone something... From using online calculators with measurements, I think I'm about 25% body fat and would like to be more like 20%.

I've been using MFP for over 5 weeks and have been successful so far - I've lost 13lbs! I just want to keep going and get to my goal soon so I can start maintaining (and being able to eat more!). But from reading the forums there's so much different advice for different people and I was hoping to get some that's specific to me.

I have always had quite a muscular build in terms of arms, calves and thighs (did a lot of swimming and dance as a kid and dance to an advanced standard as a teenager/early 20s), and have always been heavier than I look - people thought I was slim even when I was technically overweight because my weight is evenly distributed and I go in at the waist.

I am currently eating about 1,500 calories per day, or more on days when I exercise so my NET is 1,500. I tend to have one day per week when I eat over (1,800ish) and don't exercise (I read on here somewhere that having one day where you eat a more normal amount can help stop your metabolism adjusting and slowing). I eat a low calorie breakfast (oats, 0% fat Greek yoghurt, berries), a wrap with chicken and salad, or something like that for lunch, and a proper dinner (eg: tonight was chicken and spinach curry with basmati rice, tomorrow will be salmon fillet with boiled new potatoes, broccoli and peas). I have at least one snack per day, usually banana with peanut butter. If I have spare calories I spend them on dessert or sometimes a glass of wine.

In terms of exercise, I've been swimming a mile once per week, and at the weekend I normally either cycle or walk for an hour or so. Now the weather is turning I might not do that so much, so I did some Wii Zumba today instead.

I keep seeing a lot of posts about the importance of lifting, to build muscle, as otherwise you can lose muscle when dieting (or will just end up skinny but flabby). But I already have a fair amount of muscle, and I'm happy to keep it, but I don't want to gain any more (especially not on my arms) - I just need to lose the fat.

I've started doing more sit ups and squats (holding some small weights), pushups (not many - I've gone from not being able to do one at all to being able to do 2 in a row, which sounds kind of pathetic, but it's progress!) and some arm exercises with weights - does that sound OK? Or should I be doing more?

I can't get my diet up to 30% protein - I'm mostly around 50:25:25 which seems good to me (I'm definitely eating way more protein then I ever did before).

Basically I'm looking for reassurance that I'm doing it right, or advice on how to improve.

Does eating 1,500 calories per day (of which around 25% protein), cardio twice per week and small amounts of strength exercises a few days per week sound like a good way to reduce body fat and maintain the level of muscle I already have?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds fine. At 5'6", 140lbs., you're at a healthy weight so losses will be slow and take careful calorie estimating. Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There is tons of advice. Whatever you want to do, some fitness guru on google will support it.

If you don't want to lift weights, don't. Swimming will always keep you nice and toned, all over.

If you want to try lifting, do it. Can't hurt to see if you enjoy it.

It sounds like you're doing very well to me! Just don't flip when the weight loss slows down. The more you lose, the harder it gets! That's just how it goes. There are SO MANY posts from people struggling with the last five to fifteen pounds that I almost dread getting there.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great! I love lifting, but if you don't want to, the cross-training you're doing is fine for your goals.

You don't have to worry about gaining too much muscle. That doesn't usually happen by accident, especially if you're dieting. If you want to lift, just make sure you've got the right program for your goals. Circuit training is great for general strength and tone. The bodyweight stuff you're doing is perfect as well.

Great job, keep it up!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    try reading the book by JJVirgin. she has good advice.

:smile:
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks everyone! :)

I just keep seeing all these posts saying that if you're not eating crazy amounts of protein and doing loads of weight training you'll end up losing muscle not just fat. So thanks for the reassurance.

For the person who thought I was 140lbs, I think you just misread my post. I currently weigh 10 stone 12, which is 152 lbs. So I am now within the healthy weight range for my height (started at 165lbs which is overweight) but definitely at the top end still. According to a BMI calculator, the ideal weight for my height is 124-155 lbs. Given my build, around 124 would be ridiculous and look unhealthy, so I'm aiming for about 140 (12 more lbs to lose).
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    What your doing now sounds perfectly healthy and reasonable. If its working and you can maintain it as a lifestyle its probably a perfect fit for you :) Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    To ME, lifting is important. To you it may not be. Everyone is different, do what works best for you!