Soy protein - ok for women?

Options
So there's countless videos on YouTube, mainly American body builders, saying this stuff is evil. The main reason being that it can make some men produce Estrogen, it's not sourced well, and it's no good for you.
Well, I'm in the uk, can source organic soy protein, and a female and just want it as an easy way to meet my protein needs (not body building). So is it still bad? Anybody have any experience with it?

Replies

• elinegri
    elinegri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Soy protein has the highest estrogen levels in any edible food source, however, it is only damaging if eaten in large quantities and people who are more at risk showing effect from this is pre-menopausal or post-menopausal women. Where in pre-menopausal it can somewhat act as a precursor to early onset puberty, and for post-menopausal women it is said to decrease the symptoms of menopause (no studies I know of have confirmed or denied it).

So in my opinion, use the soy protein at the recommended dosage, and maybe only a few times a week. Overall it's safe if used in moderation, just like anything.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Soy protein has the highest estrogen levels in any edible food source, however, it is only damaging if eaten in large quantities and people who are more at risk showing effect from this is pre-menopausal or post-menopausal women. Where in pre-menopausal it can somewhat act as a precursor to early onset puberty, and for post-menopausal women it is said to decrease the symptoms of menopause (no studies I know of have confirmed or denied it).

So in my opinion, use the soy protein at the recommended dosage, and maybe only a few times a week. Overall it's safe if used in moderation, just like anything.
    Most of what you've written here is nonsense (other than it is as safe as any other source of protein). Soya contains phytoeostrogen known as plant oestrogen the only relationship it has to the human hormone oestrogen is the name is similar. There is no evidence that it has any effect on human hormone levels.

You probably more at risk from the hormes added in meat production than you ever will be from Soya

This is a useful article

http://freefromharm.org/health-nutrition/vegan-doctor-addresses-soy-myths-and-misinformation/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Only one additional comment from the Messina paper.

For people with thyroid issues, it's important to assure they are they get enough iodine - soy may influence the risk of the appearance of clinical hypothyroidism in these individuals. Otherwise, doesn't seem to be an issue.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's safe.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    "Males also possess estrogen receptors and estrogen to some extent and levels in the male blood are higher than post-menopausal women. Estradiol has been found to be responsible for initiating spermatogenesis or formation and maturation of sperms in men. It helps in bone strength, sexual maturation and cholesterol metabolism."

SOURCE: http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-Does-Estrogen-Do.aspx
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about soy protein but if you're worried about it and want to use a protein powder other than whey, a few studies have found brown rice protein to be comparable to whey in terms of effectiveness.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    "Males also possess estrogen receptors and estrogen to some extent and levels in the male blood are higher than post-menopausal women. Estradiol has been found to be responsible for initiating spermatogenesis or formation and maturation of sperms in men. It helps in bone strength, sexual maturation and cholesterol metabolism."

SOURCE: http://www.news-medical.net/health/What-Does-Estrogen-Do.aspx

Is it random quote day?

What do you intend to demonstrate or share with this info with regards to soy protein (for women)?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna snack on some tofu and edamame while listening to how this stuff is gonna keel me
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna snack on some tofu and edamame while listening to how this stuff is gonna keel me

It won't kill you, honey, you'll just grow some boobs.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One way to minimize the problems with soy is to eat it in fermented form such as tempeh or nato. Supposedly that is better for you. It is also delicious.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    From what my doctors have told me, it's safe for the typical woman. However, it is NOT recommended for those of us who have had breast cancer, especially hormone receptive cancer. Thankfully, we're in the minority...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

It won't kill you, honey, you'll just grow some boobs.

if anyone believes that I have some breast milk to sell them
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I'd bet that the countries with the latest puberty are those with the most soy.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

Which women are you saying it is ok for then?

All women are either pre menopausal or post menopausal ( or I guess going through menopausal)

If it is acting as a pre cursor to early onset puberty, then that is not an issue for women at all - but for pre puberty girls.

Personally, although I don't use soy myself , I think it is safe for everyone and no issues at all unless taken in absurdly high amounts.