New, over 50, and struggling

Options
Hello! I'm so glad to have found this site. I've been using the food and exercise logs for a couple of weeks now. So much better than trying to keep a paper journal.

I'm really, really struggling to drop weight (fat). The scale is not moving for me. My daily food consumption is around 1350 calories which is right around basal metabolism level. My diet is balanced, lots of fiber, moderate protein with each meal, I exercise 5 days a week for around 50 minutes. No I did not overeat during Christmas. My diet was awesome.

Over the past few years I've tried over and over again to loose. I usually give up after a few weeks when the weight will not budge. It get's discouraging. Just a little success would be enough to see me through.

Today the scale said I'm back up to 178 (gained the 1 pound I lost), but that may be just a normal daily fluxuation. So I'm not going to despair yet.

Any advice or encouragement would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Replies

• momzyvee
    momzyvee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would love to give you some encouragement, but, alas I am in the same place. i go for a couple of months, faithfully eating healthy, keeping calories down and exercising, (brisk walking) and nothing moves. Then I get discouraged. I think it is an age related thing, am going to discuss with my doctor when I finally get around to going to see her. Hopefully someone out there will see this and give us both some encouragement. However on a good note, the healthy eating and exercising is keeping my blood pressure under control.
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    I love this site also! I think you are doing great, I think you just gotta be patient. I stayed off the scale until I saw visible changes. That scale can be a beast! Hang in there and keep doing this..........sharing your feelings. Get them out and in the open so you can look back later and see how far you've come. Hang in there! hugs
  • marniehodges
    Options
    Just curious, what types of exercises are you doing? Getting that heart rate up? And one thing you should definately do is get a tape measure and log your measurements! I saw inches coming off even before drop in pounds. That really encouraged me that I was doing something right and egged me on to keep pushing :smile: . Make some good friends on here...that is what has helped me the most. It is amazing what great ideas my friends have for exercise, diet, meals and just all around moral support! Feel free to add me! Good luck to you!
  • johnallen12
    johnallen12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the person who said to take measurements. I started being able to fit into clothing that had been hiding in the back of the closet. My scale was saying that I was losing weight, but it was nice to have extra confirmation. I wish that I had taken careful measurements before I started so I wasn't so dependent on the scale. One thing that did change for sure was my blood pressure which has steadily started back on the road to normal. So remember, the scale isn't the only thing to pay attention to. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • yana6
    yana6 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you all for responding and for the encouragement!!!

For exercise I am doing short hikes, cross country walking with hills and snow shoeing. Yes I'm getting my hear rate up there (sweating). The hiking is like interval training, with higher bursts of energy needed for the hills and more moderate exercise on the straight away. Usually this type of workout is most effective in loosing fat.

Your suggestion to record my measurements is a great one!! And I will start doing that.

The concepts behind fitness and eating healthy are not really new to me. Several years ago I was certified as a personal fitness trainer. That's how I know that I should be loosing considerably more than I am loosing. I must assume the reason it is so difficult for me (and others like me) is metabolic. I know my sluggish thyroid and menopause are a factor. It's way more difficult.... But it must still be possible to loose weigh!! Even if it does take much more effort. It must be possible Yes??
  • yana6
    Options
    I don't know how to friend people. Can someone tell me how. Thanks!
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yana6, I agree stay off the scales for a while a take your body measurements and I promise you will see improvement because I was in the same boat the scale would not move but my clothes fit better. I also have a question I notice you spoke on your food intake but what about your water intake, If you are drinking regular soda try and switch to diet and drink your 8 glasses of water a day. Now to get friend go to your Community tab at the top of the page and invite friends.
  • yana6
    Options
    LWatson. I usually drink 8 glasses of water and also herbal tea. Occasionally I forget though. I agree water very important! I don't drink any soda at all. I'm trying to eat clean, whole foods as much as possible. Gave up white flour and sugars, refined food (95% anyway). I'm finding I don't feel hungry when I eat a lot of fiber and a balanced diet. That's huge! Thanks so much for the tip on how to get friend.