your diet wisdom.. let's share

Options
2»

Replies

• Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    go to thrift stores so you don't spend on a lot of $$ on a whole new wardrobe while still in progress.

Just to add to that, don't throw away all your fat clothes either till you've been your new size for a few months. You might need them again :grumble:
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    1) Find out what motivates you:
    When i first started i lost weight (water weight?) pretty quickly and when that rate of loss slowed i found it hard to keep going. Find all the things that motivate you and keep them around. Even little things like logging food before you eat it can help you decide if the cake is worth it (or how much of a walk you need to make it fit into your calories).

2) Have a friend to work out with:
    Having someone else on the same journey not only helps with motivation, but also gives you someone to chat with when you get really excited about elements of exercise, food, or weight that other friends will be bored by.

3) Eat less, move more and don't stress about the macros:
    I believe that the majority of weight loss comes from taking in less calories than you expend. There are further benefits to working with macros if you are bodybuilding, but to be honest i feel that keeping it simple helps.
  • Thamantha
    Thamantha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't compare yourself to others! Particularly not others who are much taller than yourself.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eat the food you want/love/crave in moderation

eat less/move more

The more you move the more you want to...but rest is important too.

don't try and ram your belief's down others throats...it's just rude....you can have your own opinion and it be fine for you but guaranteed someone will disagree with it ....

No food is inherently bad

Strength/resistence training is one of the most important things to start asap...

Scale weight is not the end all to be all, neither is bodyfat % nor are measurments...take all measurments and statistics and make your own judgement call...

No one can tell you what you should weigh, how much you should eat or what you should do for exercise...they can make judgement calls but it is ultimately up to you to make that decision.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Don't take yourself too seriously. It will all happen in due time as long as you put in the effort. If you mess up, keep it moving. One mistake won't destroy all of your efforts.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I never thought I could lose weight but I didn't have a plan, didn't know what I was doing. I am just starting but it is exciting seeing the scale actually move.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Eat (real) food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
    Paraphrased from my favorite book about diet/food ever:

http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Slumps are all but guaranteed. Just keep recognizing any problems you run into and solving them and you will reach your goal

MFP app rocks! Is there anything it can't do - nope. It even made me a ham sandwich once

Just about any question you could ever think to ask about diet and exercise has been asked and answered on MFP. Searching is your friend. I say this not to complain about repeat posts, but you could easily read five or six topics on your one question and really come out feeling informed. I use google rather than the MFP search. Like, "how often do you exercise site:MyFitnessPal.com" (without quotes).

Thank you. I know I have asked a lot of repeat questions. I will try searching more
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's surprising how many people get most of their calories from liquids, easily taking them into excess calories without a thought. My mom and I were both shocked when we realized how much we were getting from sodas and juices and milk. My mom has had a lot of success just cutting back on sodas and juices. She still enjoys them sometimes, but drinks water or tea more often. I would say that's a good place to start.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Eat (real) food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
    Paraphrased from my favorite book about diet/food ever:

http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/
    My favorite as well.

I add the "real" because it's what he meant, of course, but it bears explicating here.
  • Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't go "on" a diet cause you will go "off" a diet. It's just food, and is intended to nourish our bodies. If we can maintain a healthy lifestyle, it just doesn't seem so bad.
    :flowerforyou:

1 di·et
    noun \ˈdī-ət\

Definition of DIET

1 a: food and drink regularly provided or consumed

b: habitual nourishment

c: the kind and amount of food prescribed for a person or animal for a special reason

d: a regimen of eating and drinking sparingly so as to reduce one's weight <going on a diet>

2: something provided or experienced repeatedly <a diet of Broadway shows and nightclubs — Frederick Wyatt>