Eating 6 small meals throughout the day

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    OP, if 6 smaller meals works for you, then go with that. I know people that do this as well as others that do 5 meals and at least one that just does 2 large meals (with no snacks in between).

This. It's not about metabolism, it's that lots of people find it easier to cut calories if they eat more often.

I dislike having a bunch of small meals or snacks, so I just eat 3 normal-sized meals and have lost fine. My metabolism appears to be operating normally.

On this topic, it is important to separate the physiological issues from the behavioral. Physiologically, there is no beneft to eating numerous smaller meals--no increased TEF, no increased metabolism, etc. Behaviorally, there are a number of meal patterns that people can use to increase their adherence if necessary. They are more jedi mind tricks than anything else, but they do no harm, and might help someone if they believe in the pattern.
    THIS. Habitual behavior has helped many a lean/fit person stay in the shape they are for years. However they did it, DOESN'T mean it's going to work for someone else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Concerning calories, the amount of meals per day does not matter at all but the nutrient timing does. For instance you can better use protein if it is spaced out every 4 hours for muscle growth. And its better to eat higher carb levels for breakfast and around your workout time than at night.
    Broscience. Need to look more at actual peer reviewed clinical studies than the muscle magazines. They tell you what you should do so that you as the consumer spend more on their products.

IDEA Fitness member

I am no expert, but when I search this and limit my response to .edu sites, it seems they all say for optimum performance, timing is important. That said, I personally follow the process of having a realistic goal of what your end result should be and take just the steps necessary to get to that level. So......if my goal is to finish a marathon, I will do (this) but if my goal is to qualify for Boston, I will do (this.)
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I plan out 3 small meals and 3 snacks. Some days I'm hungrier in the morning, other days in the afternoon. Some days I space out all 6 meals perfectly.... other days I'll eat a snack with one of my meals. It all depends on how hungry I am. I say eat when you're hungry.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Concerning calories, the amount of meals per day does not matter at all but the nutrient timing does. For instance you can better use protein if it is spaced out every 4 hours for muscle growth. And its better to eat higher carb levels for breakfast and around your workout time than at night.
    Broscience. Need to look more at actual peer reviewed clinical studies than the muscle magazines. They tell you what you should do so that you as the consumer spend more on their products.

IDEA Fitness member

I am no expert, but when I search this and limit my response to .edu sites, it seems they all say for optimum performance, timing is important. That said, I personally follow the process of having a realistic goal of what your end result should be and take just the steps necessary to get to that level. So......if my goal is to finish a marathon, I will do (this) but if my goal is to qualify for Boston, I will do (this.)

You should limit it to peer reviewed articles and clinical studies. Google scholar can help with that. Edu websites are more reliable than most but not quite up there and can hold conflicting information.

In regards to OP. I personally only eat once a day. Have had no issues with my crossfit training and am continuing to lose weight. I am also not hungry throughout the day.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    You should limit it to peer reviewed articles and clinical studies. Google scholar can help with that. Edu websites are more reliable than most but not quite up there and can hold conflicting information.

In regards to OP. I personally only eat once a day. Have had no issues with my crossfit training and am continuing to lose weight. I am also not hungry throughout the day.

Thank you for the information. I will look with google scholar