What exactly is "Clean Eating"?

Options
I've heard of clean eating but don't really know what it means exactly.
Does it mean for example, that if you're making a Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce, you make it using actual Tomatoes and not ones in the Can?
So No Canned or Packaged foods, right?
If so, that's not so easy or cheap to do! :noway:
Would love to see some Meal idea's.

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    The problem is, clean eating means different things to different people, but usually it means cutting out all junk food, including the pasta you mentioned. Essentially it is eating only whole foods. And suprisingly its not that expensive if you dont try and buy the organic foods, just stick to single ingredient foods and you should be on the right track.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Ask 25 'clean eaters' and you'll get 25 different answers. It's a nonsense term that means nothing
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Does it mean for example, that if you're making a Pasta/Spaghetti Sauce, you make it using actual Tomatoes and not ones in the Can?

I think it means different things to different people.

Someone just posted this link the other day and I thought it was a good read.

Check it out...

http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-perils-of-clean-eating/
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    The problem with "clean" is that everyone has a different definition. However you choose to define it, it's not a bad way to eat most of the time but don't feel like you need to be 100% with it. There's nothing wrong with "dirty" foods in moderation either. Here are some clean eating websites I reference sometimes:

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • morehealthymatt
    morehealthymatt Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was told it was washing your cookies before eating them.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Really?
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My doctor defines it as avoiding anything with a label.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There are so many different definitions.

"Clean" and "moderate" are words that are frequently tossed around, but have no actual definition that is common to all who use the words. You kind of have to guess...or ask the person, "How do you define that?"
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

If you search in the MFP database you will probably find a couple of hundred threads on the subject and in case that is not enough you could always google. I really don't think that anyone could say anything new on the subject in this thread.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I consider clean eating as a food with just one ingredient. For an example, Chicken, beef, tuna, spinach, lettuce, almonds, rice, potatoes, etc...
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in clean eating I recommend the book Clean Eating Recharged by Tosca Reno. I think it is an excellent guide for beginning clean eaters and it explains the concept very well. The book is available for online download. It includes some recipes ideas and a grocery list. Edited to add info
  • TestingFun01
    TestingFun01 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think it means you wash the food with soap or bleach it to get all the buggers off people smear on it while handling it...

Pretty clean stuff.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    My doctor defines it as avoiding anything with a label.
    My bag of apples have a label....So do my carton of strawberries and my chicken breasts...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I consider clean eating as a food with just one ingredient. For an example, Chicken, beef, tuna, spinach, lettuce, almonds, rice, potatoes, etc...

Do you just eat all those foods straight up with no seasonings, salt, or dressings?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    A general definition would be eating whole, unprocessed foods, but each person has their own definition of what fits into those categories and what is an acceptable level of processing for a food to still be considered clean. Often the categories and acceptable processing levels have more to do with the individual's personal beliefs than any actual science.

The best eating philosophy I can offer you is to eat foods you like and want to eat, which do not cause you physical pain, fit into your personal philosophical beliefs about food sources/animal cruelty/GMO/organic/whatever, which can be easily procured within your financial means, and realistically match your actual lifestyle and not the lifestyle you pretend to/want to have, all while helping you meet and stay within your calorie, macro, and micronutrient goals.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I personally think clean eating is rinsing my produce and meat before I cook/eat it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Washing your food before you eat it.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    a general definition would be cutting out random entire food groups for no particular reason. (except hydrogenated trans fats)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I just thought it was eating more or mostly unprocessed/whole foods. No idea why people make such a fuss about it, even if you dont like or dont agree with the idea.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Not something I am particularly interested in but as far as I understand it's something that involves eating mainly fruit, veg and pulses and avoiding processed packaged foods and fast food. But that's just what I've gathered.

Also, it's something that makes everyone on here argue and repeatedly crack 'hilarious' jokes about washing their food or having a shower before they eat (seriously, the same comments over and over).

Oh and plenty of people telling the person who asks about it how they eat pizza, cake, pop tarts etc. and are still able to lose weight. I eat pizza and icecream, chocolate etc. and lose weight, don't know why people feel the need to gloat about it. ;-)

Do a search for 'clean eating' in the forums here and you will get plenty of information (and see lots of.b*tching and the aforementioned comedians:-P ). Good luck!