What kind of butter/margarine/oil do you use?

Options

Replies

• Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't use margarine; very very seldon use rendered fat (i.e., bacon grease). Depending on the circumstances, I'll use butter (usually unsalted), olive oil, canola oil, or grapeseed oil (mainly for grilling).................
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    CO for cooking.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I use the spray, zero calorie oil when needed, such as Pam.

Otherwise I avoid all margarine, butter and oil. I add flavor and moisture to my food using tea... There are so many flavors of tea out there, 1/4 cup of hot tea, added to my onions as they simmer in a fry pan just helps them get a caramelized texture and flavor. Then I throw 4-6 oz of fish or chicken in the pan, saute and I have a delicious dinner.

I avoid fried food all together! To me, butter and margarine is an unnecessary fat and wasted calories. I poach many foods, eat my toast dry... yes I have found many ways to avoid butter.

For me, this diet works, obviously it will not work for everyone. :smile:
  • TechNerd42
    TechNerd42 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Land O Lakes Salted Sweet Cream Butter.... yummmmmm... I've been using real butter, and I actually bumped my milk and ice cream up from no/low fat to higher amounts, because I wasn't making my fat goal. I also started using butter to cook my eggs. yummy.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Margarine has not been outlawed yet?
  • jasati
    jasati Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Organic unsalted butter, organic100% Coconut Oil, organic Olive Oil & occasionally "Biona Organic Sunflower Vegetable Spread".
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've always used and will always use real butter. Or olive oil depending on what I'm eating/cooking.

I agree here. Real butter is MUCH better for you than margarine. I use olive oil if the food choice is right.
  • eurick33
    eurick33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is the best. Especially for cooking. It adds great flavor to food and it is really good for you.:smooched:
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Butter for flavour, coconut oil for baking or in dishes where the coconut flavour is welcome. olive oil in salads or as a spray for most cooking, duck fat where the coconut oil doesn't work, and a very good roasted peanut oil for some delicious asian meals.
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We have a dairy near us that sells raw milk and they separate the cream and I buy it to make my own butter. If they sell out before I can get there, I like Land O Lakes unsalted sweet cream butter.

I normally use EVOO, but there are times when coconut oil is perfect for a recipe.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    On my everyday food (toast, veggies etc,) I use real butter.

When I bake my favourite muffins, I replace 2/3 of the oil with applesauce and it makes no difference to the taste or texture with this recipe.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Is there a difference between margarine and plant oil spreads? I don't think we can get margarine in the UK anymore. Is it the stuff "they" put pink dye in, in the USA, to put people off eating it years back?
  • Carlywiese
    Carlywiese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I found a really great organic coconut oil spray at costco yesterday that worked perfectly on my thai turkey meatballs lastnight to keep them moist and get them golden while baking off and it was only about 5.50 for a 2 pack of them :)
  • BlueLadyBug22
    BlueLadyBug22 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I use parkay light or cooking spray, I rarely use actual oil but if I do I use canola.
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    Options
    Flora

Fry Light spray
  • HamptonPhoenix
    HamptonPhoenix Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerant so I had to say goodbye to butter. Such a sad sad day. I use olive oil or bacon grease! Baconnnnnnnn. :drinker:
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Cow butter... occasionally sheep butter.. camel butter is available here but I have never tried it because I hear it gives you the trots.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Real butter and olive oil. Old habits die hard, was raised on these. yum.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I use real butter -- usually Kerrygold (but if I'm baking I use Land o Lakes unsalted) and olive oil