Do you live in an "active" neighborhood

Options
ilfaith
ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
Any time I go out in my neighborhood, there are always people out walking, jogging, or riding bicycles. Our community fitness center is always busy. Kids' sports are huge around here. I would say that for the most part, the people in my neighborhood are pretty active, and are probably in better shape than the average person I see at the shopping map or supermarket.

I live in neighborhood where home prices range from the mid 200s to over a million, which is fairly upscale for the area. It is a gated, golf club community with everything from condos and townhouses to high-end executive homes on large lots.

So I am wondering if you think your community is more or less active than average, and whether you think socioeconomics have anything to do with whether people in a neighborhood place more of an emphasis on fitness. If you do live in an "active" neighborhood, do you feel pressured (or motivated) by your neighbors to stay in (or get in) shape?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ours is definitely active. It's an urban residential area, with lots of folks out walking, walking dogs, running, cycling etc. There's tai chi and yoga in the park on the weekends...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    im from a trailer park

theres always people being insane but not very "active" might see an old lady walk her dog once in a while though
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    This might be interesting.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Yes it plays a part, but it has more to do with the location.

I live by the beach in Southern California- the weather is typically gorgeous and people move there to BE outside and enjoy the outdoors. Otherwise, you could move farther inland 10 miles and get a home 4x the size for the same money.

You also see many people travel to the beach on weekends or early mornings to surf and jog....So it's also attracting active people outside of the neighborhood.
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Active area.

Lots of parks, health clubs and yoga studios
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't live in a neighborhood as I am quite happy being in the middle of nowhere with lots of land. That being said, whenever I go running (whether it is on the Greenway in town or just down the road near my house) I always pass other runners, bicyclists, dog walkers, rollerbladers, etc. I'm glad that it's not as busy and active as more urban areas, but it is also nice to see others out and about staying active.
  • alliemay1024
    alliemay1024 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Our neighborhood has people walking the sidewalks, there is an elementary school down one street and the jr hig/high school up the other street. I would say my neighborhood is VERY busy! Especially when school is in session!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Not really.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    If property value determines ones level of activity, I'm lucky to be getting off the couch.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In the ghetto, I see people running from the cops all the time. Does that count? :huh:
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I see people in our neighborhood walking, running, biking, and walking dogs from 5:30 am to 10:00 pm. I have never lived in a neighborhood of such physically active people before now and I love it.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I live in a rich neighborhood too. Mostly it's just people swimming in pools of money. *nods* true story
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a bad neighborhood, the "ghetto" that earlier poster talked about facetiously. You would see people walking to the convenience store or something, but never exercising. I wasn't allowed to play outside because there were shootings every week or so. So no, it was not an active neighborhood.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I see lot of runners, walkers, cyclists, rollerbladers, people out playing basketball or doing boot camp, also a lot of fitness studios, gyms, and some gyms/schools/rec centers that have pools.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I'd love to live out in Cali or Hawaii, just so I can be outdoors a lot, go to the gym, swim, do fun stuff, etc, and because I love beautiful weather. Though in the winter skiing and snowshoeing would be cool, and I can still go to the gym, or workout at home as well.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I live in an active neighborhood as well. Everyone is either running, walking or cycling. I live in a beach community and I don't think we have any form of housing that starts at 200 anything. Think rentals or purchasing like that of NY...
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I live in the middle of nowhere with nice bit of land. I always see other walkers, runners, cyclists, & horses w/riders when I go running. We share the road or use local trails because there are no sidewalks here. In winter there are fewer walkers & runners, but folks ski/snowboard, snowshoe & hike.
    As far as economics go the area is really a mixed bag. I pass a half-million dollar home 3 doors down from a 30grand fixer-up regularly. Those new estates are being built in the middle of farmland, orchards, forests- everywhere. I don't think those people are necessarily more active than the locals though. Why would having money to waste on a McMansion make a person more likely to exercise?
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    if you're smart enough you can see "shady" stuff going down where I live lol
  • princessmommy122
    princessmommy122 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I live in an extremely active neighborhood. Constant bike riding, dog walking, running, etc.. And, yes, absolutely, socioeconomic factors play a role. More leisure time. More safe spaces. More community planning for activity space, ie sidewalks, parks, rec centers, etc.. It is a shame everyone doesn't have the space, time or safety to enjoy exercise more.