HELP! low weight lots of belly fat (apple body)

Options
Help! ive been on my fitness pal for about 4 or 5 mo or sooo. height 5' 4.5. started bout 140 lb. lost most of it and my goal weight was 115. iv hit that goal about a month ago. my problem is my weight is at the lowest I should be for my height but I still have inches of body fat left. its frustrating because I look like a twig sept for my tummy :(. iv upped my cals to 1780 and I workout around 4-5 times a week 15-30 min at a time I do little cardio (cuz im lazy) and mostly do videos I see on youtube. like circuit training.

I am confused on what to do because I should not lose any more weight. im not sure if I should eat at maitnence. I do not feel that I should do a bulk and cut because I don't feel small enough to do that and terrified to gain it all in my tummy since I am a pure apple body type. as u can see in my picture I do not look 115. I am skinny fat! yay. please help and advice!!!!! :(:(

ninalol_zpsed884042.jpg

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot of belly fat. It looks more like bloat, standing weirdly (such that your stomach sticks out) or a lack of stomach muscles. But honestly, not a lot of fat. What I would suggest is weight lifting - Stronglifts or something like that.
  • bebenevaeh
    bebenevaeh Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lol thank u for the reply. I am doing a 3 mo program right now which mostly consists of curcuits. Then yes i do realize i should do more weights. I played around w the stronglifts. I am wondering if since im not eating a surplis if thats why i cant progress in muscle. I was hoping to shed more fat before i tried to obtain more muscle. Any advice on the calorie intake? Small deficet? Matinence?
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    Bump
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem! I'm 5'1" and have been maintaining between 103 and 105 lbs for a few months (currently at the top of that range and trying to lose a little). My tummy has always been my problem area, one that I've focused on disliking a lot. I keep meaning to start weight training, since I know that would likely be a really good solution, but my summer has been intensely busy so I haven't gotten organized to start lifting (I even bought some heavy, adjustable-weight dumbbells and "New Rules of Lifting for Women").

I've decided I'm going to lose a couple more pounds and get back to my lowest weight, 102, where I had less belly fat. Any fat I gain really seems to concentrate on my stomach and hips, ugh. While I am losing weight, and once I get to that new goal, I am going to do some weights and some cardio (because I love running, hiking, and so on). So my solution is to get lighter. . . but it sounds like you can't really get lighter. Try the weights. Cheap-ish adjustable dumbbells can be found on eBay for $95 for a set that can go from 5 lbs pre dumbbell all that way to 50-something lbs, and the New Rules of Lifting for Women book is pretty cheap and really good. Those two things would cost a heck of a lot less than going to the gym, and for me, being able to work out at home is very important since I wouldn't go to the gym at the end of a long day.

It feels terrible to get to your goal weight and not be happy with your body! I know the feeling, I struggle with it all the time. I'm hoping that once I lose a little more and commit to the weights that problem will go away a little more.

Also, do you eat a lot of salty stuff often? Processed food/restaurant food contains far more salt than one would think, and salt of course leads to water retention. I find that I retain water mainly in my belly, as well as holding the fat there, and if I've eaten too much salt or it's that time of the month, it looks and feels worse than at other times.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'd kill for your body. LOL

Weight training and core exercises to help your posture.
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    I have a similar problem! I'm 5'1" and have been maintaining between 103 and 105 lbs for a few months (currently at the top of that range and trying to lose a little). My tummy has always been my problem area, one that I've focused on disliking a lot. I keep meaning to start weight training, since I know that would likely be a really good solution, but my summer has been intensely busy so I haven't gotten organized to start lifting (I even bought some heavy, adjustable-weight dumbbells and "New Rules of Lifting for Women").

I've decided I'm going to lose a couple more pounds and get back to my lowest weight, 102, where I had less belly fat. Any fat I gain really seems to concentrate on my stomach and hips, ugh. While I am losing weight, and once I get to that new goal, I am going to do some weights and some cardio (because I love running, hiking, and so on). So my solution is to get lighter. . . but it sounds like you can't really get lighter. Try the weights. Cheap-ish adjustable dumbbells can be found on eBay for $95 for a set that can go from 5 lbs pre dumbbell all that way to 50-something lbs, and the New Rules of Lifting for Women book is pretty cheap and really good. Those two things would cost a heck of a lot less than going to the gym, and for me, being able to work out at home is very important since I wouldn't go to the gym at the end of a long day.

It feels terrible to get to your goal weight and not be happy with your body! I know the feeling, I struggle with it all the time. I'm hoping that once I lose a little more and commit to the weights that problem will go away a little more.

Also, do you eat a lot of salty stuff often? Processed food/restaurant food contains far more salt than one would think, and salt of course leads to water retention. I find that I retain water mainly in my belly, as well as holding the fat there, and if I've eaten too much salt or it's that time of the month, it looks and feels worse than at other times.

Yes its quite frustrating! I do love my salt but i have toned it down a bit. I do have some heavy weights id start once im done w this program
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Lifting will do wonders for your core strength and you will lose inches (where it counts) :o)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also reccomend strength training. Strong Curves could be good for you. bretcontreras.com
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I also reccomend strength training. Strong Curves could be good for you. bretcontreras.com

^This and honestly, it looks more like a posture problem too.
  • bebenevaeh
    Options
    Thank u! what kind of calorie intake should i have since i am at the lowest weight i should be for my hieght?
  • bebenevaeh
    Options

^This and honestly, it looks more like a posture problem too.

Yes i know. I have flat feet so i do stand funny....booo lol
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thank u! what kind of calorie intake should i have since i am at the lowest weight i should be for my hieght?

Assuming you are following MFP (which uses the NEAT Method) - re-enter your goals in there (maintain or gain) with the appropriate activity level picked. Then NET the calorie goal it gives you (meaning eat the base calorie number + exercise calories).

Do that for about 4-6 weeks and see how that goes. It can be a little trickier if you don't know your maintenance calories so you may have to adjust manually after 4 weeks to put it higher or lower.

Work on strength training but realize that body recomposition is a long goal commitment. I wouldn't expect drastic results after a month.

If you follow the TDEE method, you'll just eat a set number and no exercise calories back (if you log your exercise, change the cal burns to 1 cal). Again, give things 4-6 weeks before making any adjustments. You can use the calculator on IIFYM.com to figure out a starting point if you like.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    That's not a lot of belly fat. It looks more like bloat, standing weirdly (such that your stomach sticks out) or a lack of stomach muscles. But honestly, not a lot of fat. What I would suggest is weight lifting - Stronglifts or something like that.
    This. Weight lifting is definitely the answer.
  • JennJenn740
    JennJenn740 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ...........................We have the same problem, hip and stomach. How?
  • JennJenn740
    JennJenn740 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was 146, 5'2", .......want to be 120. My weight is 134.
  • tugica
    tugica Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you tried belly dancing?
    I mean you don't have to go to a class or something like that, just put some 'Shakira' music on and pretend, that is what helped me the first way 'round.I am apple shaped too and found it really hard to loose that muffin top.So I would suggest you dancing, it is a cardio workout as well.And it will do wonders for your posture :D
    Hope I could help
  • bebenevaeh
    Options

Assuming you are following MFP (which uses the NEAT Method) - re-enter your goals in there (maintain or gain) with the appropriate activity level picked. Then NET the calorie goal it gives you (meaning eat the base calorie number + exercise calories).

Do that for about 4-6 weeks and see how that goes. It can be a little trickier if you don't know your maintenance calories so you may have to adjust manually after 4 weeks to put it higher or lower.

Work on strength training but realize that body recomposition is a long goal commitment. I wouldn't expect drastic results after a month.

If you follow the TDEE method, you'll just eat a set number and no exercise calories back (if you log your exercise, change the cal burns to 1 cal). Again, give things 4-6 weeks before making any adjustments. You can use the calculator on IIFYM.com to figure out a starting point if you like.

Im sorry u really confused me. Tdee says 1790 is my cals i burn along w my activity. Mfp says eat 1780 to lose .5 lb a week.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Im sorry u really confused me. Tdee says 1790 is my cals i burn along w my activity. Mfp says eat 1780 to lose .5 lb a week.

Why are you trying to lose weight? You should be maintaining or even doing a small gain.

And what are you picking for the activity level for both MFP and the calculator (assuming you are using the IIFYM one)?
  • bebenevaeh
    Options

Why are you trying to lose weight? You should be maintaining or even doing a small gain.

And what are you picking for the activity level for both MFP and the calculator (assuming you are using the IIFYM one)?

Thas y i need help. Confused how can i lose fat w out a deficet. I think i picked activity level 4 days a week
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Thas y i need help. Confused how can i lose fat w out a deficet. I think i picked activity level 4 days a week

And what activity level did you pick on MFP?

You can lose body fat without a deficit by working on recomping, which is done through strength training.