Question for other lifters

Options
I've been lifting for about a month and a half, and now that I'm deadlifting more than my own weight, I've got blisters on my calluses. So I was thinking of getting some lifting gloves. But first I wanted to get the opinions of some other lifters who've been at it longer than I have. Is it better to use gloves, or not use gloves?

Replies

• trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No to the glove.
    From Medhi:
    Gloves Kill Grip Strength – thicker bars are harder to grip. Gloves add inches to the bar which will kill your grip strength on pulling exercises like Deadlifts, Rows or Pullups. And if you can’t hold it, you can’t lift it.

Gloves Screw Your Technique – the thickness of the gloves will make it impossible to keep the bar close to your wrists on the press and bench. Your wrist will roll back as a result and this can cause wrist pain. Gloves Don’t Prevent Callus - the fact is that you will get callus on your hands whether you wear gloves or not. You’re actually much more likely to get callus because you won’t be able to Deadlift with the bar correctly in your hands. So then why lift wearing gloves? The only situations where gloves are okay is if you want to train with a ripped callus, or when it’s freezing -13°C like in my home gym. Temperatures like these are rough on the hands so I will wear gloves in the winter until the bar “warm-ups”. But once I reach my work weight, I always remove the gloves because as I’ve explained above: gloves will mess with your technique. Remember gloves aren’t allowed at powerlifting competitions, so better to build good habits from the start.

Lose the gloves and instead… grip the bar correctly on Deadlifts, Rows and Pull-ups use chalk – or an eco ball if your gym doesn’t allow chalk take care of your callus – shave them bi-monthly and moisturize

Read more: http://stronglifts.com/3-reasons-deadlifting-wearing-gloves-sucks/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting consistently for over a year. No gloves

If you find your hands are suffering get some chalk (either liquid or powder) which helps when you are dragging it over bare legs as well.

I lift at home with a 1inch bar and I did tape my DL bar but I still chalk up....I do have callous on my hands but not too bad.
  • VegFit72
    VegFit72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Personal preference really. I like gloves--thinner ones with fingers that come just past the knuckles. I think it has helped me to not have as bad of calluses and I can't tell any difference in grip strength. I'm not a power lifter either. They make lots of styles--just try a few on at the store and go to where they have some dumbbells for sale and lift those up and see how they feel.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about a month and a half, and now that I'm deadlifting more than my own weight, I've got blisters on my calluses. So I was thinking of getting some lifting gloves. But first I wanted to get the opinions of some other lifters who've been at it longer than I have. Is it better to use gloves, or not use gloves?

Nope to gloves for me. A couple reasons:
    I'm not going to use gloves "in real life" if I need to pick something up.
    Secondly, it's all part of the conditioning of your hands.

Finally, I don't feel as if I have a good a grip or a good a feel of the bar with gloves on.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the advice. That's why I asked before clicking "buy". I don't want to waste money on something that won't help. :smile: Thanks again!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try Versa Gripps.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I take a lot of ras from other BB, but ya, I'm a p&ss and wear gloves. I do think I get a better grip and secondly, I don't know where these other guys paws have been...so they act like hand condoms.

Trust me, if you lift the heavy weight, you still have calluses.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I use gloves. They don't help me lift weight in any way, shape, or form, other than helping the textured bars not cut into my skin. Like another poster said, they haven't completely prevented my calluses. I still have a couple, though they aren't as bad, IMHO, as they would be if I didn't use gloves. Before I started using them I did bit of reading about it, and it seems to really just come down to personal preference.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I bought gloves. I hate them for deadlifts. I have really skinny hands. I bought smalls (the smallest I could find at ****'s), but the gloves just are not tight enough. They ruin my grip. If you aren't already, use a mixed grip. This helped me tremendously when I got over bodyweight. My husband uses chalk, but it can be so messy I haven't used it yet.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I bought gloves. I hate them for deadlifts. I have really skinny hands. I bought smalls (the smallest I could find at ****'s), but the gloves just are not tight enough. They ruin my grip. If you aren't already, use a mixed grip. This helped me tremendously when I got over bodyweight. My husband uses chalk, but it can be so messy I haven't used it yet.

Try liquid chalk. Put a little bit on and let it dry. Less mess and works great.

I don't use gloves because they slip and cause pinched skin or blisters. I use chalk since my hands are sweatty. On deadlifts I use overhand grip until my grip fails then I switch to mixed grip.
  • knittinlady
    Options

I do use a mixed grip; a guy at the gym recommended it. But then I read today that you should use an overhand grip until you get higher than bodyweight, and then switch to mixed grip. My warmup for deadlift is at 135, and I weigh 154. So I'm going to go back to overhand grip for warmups and up to bodyweight, to make my grip stronger.

I'll check and see if my gym allows chalk; I haven't seen anyone using it.
  • digistyle
    digistyle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've almost always used gloves when I lift. The exception being during basic training. I haven't had any problems using them and they cut down on the blisters and calluses.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    - common wisdom is that gloves hurt your grip
    - I agree with it insofar as poor fitting gloves will mess with your grip. If you need gloves buy very tight ones. Did I mention they should be tight?
    - that said, if you can use chalk in your gym then, use chalk. It works better than gloves.
    - oh, make sure you are gripping the bar in the first knuckle of your fingers rather than in your palm
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    So we finished setting up a home gym a little over a month ago and I got an eco ball this week and the grip tape for my chin up bar arrived today (that thing was KILLING my hands). The eco ball has made a HUGE difference with my grip strength and that combined with mixed grip on my heaviest lift today was *amazing* during my deadlift so I would definitely recommend the eco ball and mixed grip if you need it as you go heavier.

I saw someone mention taping their bar and I was actually thinking about this today... Any thoughts on taping the bar itself? I haven't had a major issue with my bar, yes, I've got some nice calluses going, but the bar doesn't really hurt my hands as is, but if it would help with grip as I work heavier I have some tape left....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    So we finished setting up a home gym a little over a month ago and I got an eco ball this week and the grip tape for my chin up bar arrived today (that thing was KILLING my hands). The eco ball has made a HUGE difference with my grip strength and that combined with mixed grip on my heaviest lift today was *amazing* during my deadlift so I would definitely recommend the eco ball and mixed grip if you need it as you go heavier.

I saw someone mention taping their bar and I was actually thinking about this today... Any thoughts on taping the bar itself? I haven't had a major issue with my bar, yes, I've got some nice calluses going, but the bar doesn't really hurt my hands as is, but if it would help with grip as I work heavier I have some tape left....

I didn't tape the bar initially for grip...it was an older bar with some rust and I didn't want it coming off on my hands...just basic hockey tape...but that vs my bar without tape (which I use for Rows now) I did find a difference even tho my new bar has the criss cross grips...but after a year I find that I will have to replace the tape it's getting quite smooth from from use and chalk and well just basic ickiness...
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Gloves suck for deadlift.

Use this at the gym:

liquid.jpeg?w=1000

I put some in a travel tube of hand lotion that I emptied out. People think I'm putting on hand lotion. Then my hands turn white and I'm sure that cornfuses them.

Chalk at home if that's where you lift.

I still get calluses on top of my calluses but I never get blisters.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't use gloves- I never have. I find they are pinchy and don't give me a good feel on the bar.

I file down my callouses occasionally to keep them from ripping to deep.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to get gloves (I wouldn't) just rub your callous down every now and again so they don't rip. I rub mine with a pumice stone about once a week, use cream every day and chalk when I'm lifting.
  • knittinlady
    Options
    So I asked at my gym; they don't allow chalk. Some of y'all had mentioned eco-ball as an alternative to chalk. What exactly is that?

I did adjust my grip today; I was gripping the bar with my palms, so I moved it to the first knuckle of my fingers. That seemed to help a lot. I was able to get a new personal best! :smile: And my calluses didn't seem any worse for wear afterward. I really appreciate all the advice!
  • kinect21
    Options
    Eco ball http://www.amazon.com/Metolius-Non-Marking-Chalk-Substitute-colors/dp/B000212TGA

And oh... congratulations on your new PR! :flowerforyou: Keep doing what you're doing.