Exploding Squash

Options
HeidiCooksSupper
HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
Many years ago, in the late 80s to be exact, I was introduced to spaghetti squash by a co-worker. I cooked one yesterday after a 25+ year span of avoiding them. I did it this time with fear and trepidation but all was well.

I lived in a small apartment with a tiny kitchen so my microwave was on a cart at one end of the living/dining room. The apartment had gold, sculpted shag carpet, about the color of spaghetti squash innards. As instructed by my co-worker, I poked many holes in the spaghetti squash, placed it in the microwave, turned it on and went to the other end of the room to watch TV. Suddenly, BOOM!!! The door of the microwave flew open and the spaghetti squash did what a spaghetti squash does for a distance of about 10 feet in all directions! Once my heart resumed beating, I alternated laughing hysterically, crying and picking spaghetti squash threads out of the shag carpet.

This time, I used my favorite way to cook slow-cooking vegetables: whole, wrapped in foil, in the oven. I made the holes with a steak knife and made sure to poke all the way to the center to avoid explosion. It worked fine.

Replies

• kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    funny... whew.. that's really going all in for your vege
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    *Like*. :)
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I'm thinking it's best it exploded before you ate it, than after, eh? A similar thing happened to me trying to "warm" a peeled boiled egg. Blew the microwave door open with a loud BOOM, too! What a mess.

On a positive note, I've had good luck cooking spaghetti squash in a microwave . . . if you cut it in half first. Also, oven roasting with cut side up gives the squash a nice roasted flavor and texture, too. On a final note, microwave first, then roast in the oven combines the quickest and tastiest of them all. . . cut in half first, of course :)