I have a cold...

Options
and all i want to do is lay in bed and eat cookies. Any ideas on how to cope with being ill and craving comfort food while trying to lose weight?

(I am aware that when ill my body will need more calories to recover and by starving myself i will delay recovery etc... just wanted to know what others find comforting that wont completely throw off the diet)

Replies

• Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My go to is the tried and true chicken noodle soup (homemade if you can get it!) and crackers! Oh, and definitely hot toddies!!! Hot tea with 2 shots of whiskey and honey......,makes everything feel better! Home you feel better soon :(
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is a cold and it will pass. In the meantime, take some short walks.
    Everyone has their own comfort foods. Once of mine is white rice with cheddar cheese and a little bit of soy sauce.
    Ginger tea with honey is nice.
    So is a bowl of cut up fruit.
    I hope you feel better.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of fluid and remember the work you've put in thus far. Feel better soon
  • amehh91
    amehh91 Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I am just finishing a cold and felt the same as you (cookies and bed) but bed is a no no, my son would never let me have a rest day! (He is nearly 3) and I actually found once I got past the first day of feeling really rotten I wasn't actually very hungry and have struggled to hit my calorie goal, have just scraped over 1000 calories on to couple of days. For me it was habit I think, when I have been ill before I used it as an excuse to treat myself excessively because I felt rubbish.

I have had soups and nice warm foods (no salads) that have still be low cal and in the evening I have had something sweet, a low fat chocolate yogurt, a biscuit or even one day I got a mini Milky Way bar! I think by waiting until after dinner I have been able to delay this "treat" by knowing I can have it and then been satisfied with just one because I am full from a warm dinner, if that makes sense. Oh and going to bed early :)

Don't know if that helps! I have also been drinking a crazy amount of fluids, so keep the fluids up! Hope you feel better soon
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Cold medicine like Robitussin cough and ibuprofen. Broth, preferably homemade chicken broth. Puffs Kleenex with aloe vera. Taking a hot shower or bath every day helps a lot. Get better! :flowerforyou:
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sleep, Tea with honey, Sleep, Orange Juice, Sleep...

Depending on what exactly is wrong with you, my BF's "miracle mixture" is pseudofed, mucinex, and cold-ease (zinc supps). It really works!