Really intense flavours for snacks. How?

Options
Wildstorms
Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
I'm falling back into some bad habits (eating through a bad time at work), I'm snacking on crisps again. What I've realised is that it's partly for the crunch, but mostly for the impact of the deep, intense flavour.

Is there any way of replicating that do you think? A healthy dip? A spice mix?

Replies

• Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Try crystallised ginger, physallis berries, marmite.... Not all at the same time p'raps....
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    nuts!

I love almonds.. I get almonds or pistachios .. portion it out.. get some grapes to go along with it.. and water! the secret I learned to not needing as much "snack" foods is making sure you get lots of water with it!

anything with a crunch will help.

baby carrots, cucumbers, broccoli.. you get the idea.

I'm a HUGE snacker!! this is what helped me.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I used to have carrot batons on my desk at all times, possibly with broccolli or cauliflower - they can be reasonably intense flavours. Marmite seem to have hit the snack world in a bit way, so anything with marmite added will be intense - or as used to, dip the carrot straight into Marmite! Unfortunately the flavouring of most crisps these days are designed to give you that instant hit to get you snacking and to crave it again!!
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You can air pop some pop corn, give it a little spray of coconut oil and then toss with cayenne pepper, curry seasoning, salt. Tasty, crunchy and Potent!
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Make Kale Chips!!! So delicious and perfect crunch.

Preheat oven to about 300. Wash & Dry Kale, cut out stems. Spritz with oil, sprinkle with garlic, salt, pepper, cayenne, or any other spice you like, bake on parchment for about 6 mins, flip, bake 4-6 more. Take out of oven, let sit to cool. Store in airtight container (up to about 3 days). Crunchy, light, and (depending on the amount of oil you use) guiltless!!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I second the air popcorn and kale chips. I pop my popcorn in a brown bag in the microwave, drizzle or spray with a healthy oil and season with a spice blend. BBQ rub is so good!

Sweet and Spicy Rub

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
    1 teaspoon Cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

In a small bowl, mix all the rub ingredients until combined.

By the way both spice blends are delicious on chicken or pork. The Sweet and Spicy Rub makes a great BBQ seasoning for popcorn.

Try Jicama sliced into chips or cut into stick and sprinkled with Chili Lime Salt.

Chili Lime Salt

1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/8 cup lime zest (zest of 2 lg limes)
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder

Combine all ingredients in a food processor or spice grinder. Process until well combined. Store in an airtight container.

Here is a link to Baked corn Chips with Chili Lime Salt: http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/chili-lime-salt-and-baked-corn-chips.html
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers with hot sauce or sriracha and rice vinegar. It's extremely low calorie, spicy, and has a great crunch.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    strong kind bars! yum
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Doritos spicy sweet chili chips. I could eat a value size bag in one sitting easy. So I decided to start making zucchini chips and sprinkling them with paprika, chili powder, and splenda. Tastes almost exactly like the Doritos and satisfies my craving. If I want a dip with them ill mix ranch powder in with Greek yogurt.

Just take snacks you like and tweak em!
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! Thank you. :drinker:
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been doing popcorn without butter spraying some 0 calorie cooking spray on it, and then sprinkling ranch or white cheddar flavoring powder.
  • Angellaree
    Angellaree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :smile:
  • sunnydaysagainz
    Options
    I'm also quite a snacker! While trying to kick the bad habits of eating cream biscuits and chips, I am having pretzels and lentil chips instead. 20 pieces of pretzels and 22 pieces of lentil chips around 100 calories each. Crispy and satisfying! Of course not very healthy though
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump