I get so bored running..

Options
So let me start out with a little about myself I'm in the army so I run about 12 miles a week if I'm running with a bunch of people I'm in formation I won't stop running because I'm like oh that's joe smoe he's overweight and smokes if he's still running I need to be running so that gets me through those days; but running on my own I just get bored and end up walking. I need help what gets you guys by on long runs? I'm like the ADHD runner here. What do you guys do to stay entertained.

Replies

• GetSlimEquestrian
    Options
    Try listening to music
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Music if off post (AR 385-10 prohibits headphones most places on post) ....a group that pushes you ... or a little discipline and self motivation to do what you know you need to do. Pick one.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Switch up your route. If I am too familiar with how much farther I still have to run, I get bored and discouraged.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I listen to music, but even still, I get SO BORED. Outside, inside, any kind of music, podcast, tv show... I've tried it all, but I still get bored. I just try to stay as focused as possible on the goal. I still keep music going, but I try to get lost in my own thoughts (what happened that day, what I need to do that night, planning my dinner, general self reflection, etc).
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    then don't run
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I listen to music and trail run. Obstacles on the trail force me to pay attention and keeps my brain occupied.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Try a running club.

http://running.meetup.com
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I listen to music if I must run. But I much prefer to chase something, like a soccer ball, tennis ball, or small groups of terrified children.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I get bored sometimes too. When I feel like walking I count backwards from 100. I find running the same route helps me, it seems faster somehow, probably because it is predictable.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Audiobooks. I use my running time to catch up on the books everyone is talking about
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    then don't run

You suck
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    music. what about apps? zombies, run is fun to me. its got a storyline and then you can have zombies chase you.. so then you would want to outrun them.
  • SInder2
    SInder2 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I listen to music but I also time myself. I have several routes I take and know how fast I can do each one so I "race" myself to see how much time I can knock off. Sometimes I go exploring and look for different routes. I also run trails. It also helps if you have an event to train for, maybe push yourself to do longer distances and you can always try to improve your times on 5ks.
  • leslime8
    leslime8 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I focus on something way up in the distance and try to predict how many series of steps it is away. (I was a percussionist in high school, so I'm used to counting "ONE two three four, TWO two three four, THREE two three four as if I'm counting measures in 4/4 time.) I make little bets with myself like, "I'll bet I can reach that tree in 300 steps or fewer." Sometimes that makes me run even faster than I would.

I also vary the route (as others have said)--hills, streets, lots of turns and variations--sing to myself, make up stories or work on challenges in my professional or personal life.

Sometimes also I just focus on the sound of steps and get into a kind of hypnotic, "zen" state!
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    play games with yourself while running.. dedicate miles to certain important people in your life and concentrate on why you are grateful for them, concentrate on breathing, form, checking in with certain body parts, doing a head to toe scan , singing (in your head or outloud), coming up with weird retirement plans, playing the what if i had a million dollars... so many things to keep your mind occupied :)
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In addition to the things suggested above, try to switch up your exercises. Add interval sessions spontaneous sprints to the next tree or street light to keep things interesting. I can't switch up my running route much (I run alone and in the dark, so I stick to well lit residential areas for safety) but changing the type of training keeps things interesting. As a bonus, interval sessions burn more calories :happy:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I do language lessons, memory games, music, body scans on form, visualize work issues ... then bring it down to observing and allowing the world to flow through me, both external and internal.

Suggested reading Zen and the Art of Running.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So let me start out with a little about myself I'm in the army so I run about 12 miles a week if I'm running with a bunch of people I'm in formation I won't stop running because I'm like oh that's joe smoe he's overweight and smokes if he's still running I need to be running so that gets me through those days; but running on my own I just get bored and end up walking. I need help what gets you guys by on long runs? I'm like the ADHD runner here. What do you guys do to stay entertained.
    Most of the time I really couldn't tell you what I think about. My mind wanders I take in the scenery concentrate on the rhythm of my run even put together shopping lists. I find running everything but boring. It's a time to relax and zone out. I ran 10 miles yesterday and in that 90 minutes I do not know what I thought about. It's hard to tell people how to think (which is what your really asking) but just try to fall into a rhythm and let your mind wander because once there stopping and walking wont even enter your thought process
  • IoZacharis
    IoZacharis Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    then don't run

You suck

he actually has a point, you may need to try something different to get your cardio, jumping rope, bike around, there are tons of things you can do. Is there a particular reason you NEED to run?
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My first two miles I think about problems, issues projects and what I call my inner crapola.

My next two miles I think about good stuff, enjoy the day and feel proud I am there

My last two miles are all mine. I listen to my awesome playlist. Sing if I can (if no one else is out there!) I get so pumped.

Running or walking doesn't have to be boring. Make it what you want it to be.