Anyone heard of the Dolce Diet (by Mike Dolce)?

Options
What is the premise behind this diet? (example: Atkins being low carb). I'm hesitant to buy any of the books because I don't really understand what the "program" is about.

Thanks!

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no idea but you shouldn't have to pay a dime to lose weight, as far as weight loss goes. Weight loss is math, you burn more than you consume. So, you set your calories up for a moderate deficit. For body composition (maintaining lean mass, ideally losing body fat. Macros come in to play protein, typically 1g per pound of lean body mass, a good amount of fats for hormone control and balance, vitamin absorption, fiber, and then letting carbs fall where they may. Unless you have a medical condition, carbs can be wherever makes you feel best). For health, focus on hitting your proper calorie goal and get your micronutrient, your vitamins, minerals, etc.

For fitness, find an exercise you enjoy. Resistance training, ideally weightlifting can aid in body comp, and retaining muscle. It will help you look leaner as you lose. Promise you, you won't get bulky ;). If you cannot have access to that, body weight exercises are nice, too.

It really doesn't have to be complicated :D I lost 53 lbs this way. I kept the foods I loved and portioned them into my day, and found some awesome new foods that help me meet my nutrient needs. Here's a good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

good luck! You can do it :flowerforyou:
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Bombshell said it all. Nothing more to add. We can all go home now.

Really, that was spot-on and complete. OP, just print it out, clear off some of the kid's art work from the fridge, and tape it up there.

-- edit --
    Hanna, I see you have been here a while and tried many good things - lifting, etc. (Google reveals all) You know your stuff. Here is a review of the Dolce Diet from 2011 (Google reveals all):
    http://www.chicagonow.com/katalin-fitness-health-driven/2011/10/the-latest-diet-dolce-diet/

About 1/3 of the way into it, the reviewer lists the important points:

Basically this is a recap of what Mike did 3 weeks up until his fight. Three weeks out he was at 198 pounds and cut down to 170 pounds. Then one day after weigh in, he was fighting at 198 pounds. However, he makes the claim that he went down from 213 pounds.

Huh? Dolce uses a different kind of math than the rest of us.

"This is by no means a lifestyle guide on how to eat healthy but rather a recount of a gifted athlete that wanted to make weight for a fight.

I can easily sum up this diet in one short sentence: it’s largely useless. Unless you are a fighter trying to make weight, little else can be taken from this diet. "

I agree with the reviewer. Mike Dolce was a totally ripped, shredded, whatever-you-want athlete and dropped a little to fit into a different weight class. Then ate a bunch to bounce up again. Like high school wrestlers. Snore. Snore louder.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The premise of this diet is that if you are a world class athlete doing two world class training sessions a day and eating at a caloric deficit, you will lose crap loads of weight, fast.

It takes an EXTREME level of dedication and commitment to pull this off.
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    Actually, there is no need to buy anything. He has an android/itunes app, The Mike Dolce Show, where he talks about the diet and takes people's questions. Additionally, he has a social media website where you can talk to other folks that are interested in the diet(Free to join). He also answers questions via twitter on Sundays. While Mike's success is mostly with MMA fighters who have to cut weight, you can do "the diet" without and still lose weight.

The basics of what he preaches are:
    Eat earth grown nutrients (no powders, pills, or magic) ie. organic, locally produced
    Eat every 2-3 hours, eating for what you have just done or are going to do.
    Don't focus on counting calories.

"Three Weeks to Shredded"(3W2S) outlined his weight cut for a fight in 2007 or 2008. Since then he has released "Living Lean" and the "The Living Lean Cookbook". I have purchased the cookbook because they are some great recipes in it. If you're not an athlete that needs to cut weight don't bother with 3W2S.