Diagnosed/Living With PCOS? READ ME!

Replies

• Magadelana
    Magadelana Posts: 12 Member
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    Dezzie1180 wrote: »
    Hmmm...my reply partially showed up. I can live with taking one pill a day and a good pair of tweezers. Yes, since becoming gluten free my life has changed drastically. Before I had zero energy and always felt sick. I think changing to a gluten free and grain free lifestyle saved my life. I feel so much better. Not to mention my brain fog cleared up

I wish we didn't have to live with the tweezers and all of the other things that go with the hair problems. I think that's just about the only thing that everyone seems to have in common. I am thrilled for you that your quality of life has improved so dramatically! This is wonderful news! :D

Ha ha, I always just try to play it off that I am always well prepared. I keep a little kit with me at all times. Tweezers, nail clippers and an array of sizes of tampons. You just never know what size you (or a friend) is gonna need! ;)
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS two months ago. I am 38 years old. After having my tubes tied 7 years ago, my body apparently couldn't handle no birth control . For five years I begged drs to find out what was wrong with me. I was gaining weight no matter what I was trying to do, I had horrible cramps all month long, heavy heavy periods leaving me anemic and more tired than I already was. On top of that, horrible aches and pain all throughout my body. There were other signs, but a dr finally tested me hormones and gave me a diagnosis.

He started me on bc pills. And you know what? I've lost 10lbs in the last two months. My acne has gone away. My period last week was light with very little clotting (hallelujah!). I still have the achiness, but it is diminishing. I am working out every morning and not being completely exhausted by afternoon. I finally see a light in my tunnel and let me tell ya, I am running at it full force. LOL Because of the pcos diagnosis, I did a bunch of research and I have cut sugar out of my diet by a lot. I limit my carbs and check all the packages. I am sure that is also helping with how I feel.

Wonderful! I am SO glad you're finally starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel! I know it can really be a challenge, and especially when you go for so long without knowing what's wrong and not having a diagnosis! But I'm thankful that you've got a treatment that is working well for you, and that you're on your way to feeling better! Keep us posted on how you're doing!

[/quote]

Ha ha, I always just try to play it off that I am always well prepared. I keep a little kit with me at all times. Tweezers, nail clippers and an array of sizes of tampons. You just never know what size you (or a friend) is gonna need! ;)[/quote]

Trust me, I feel you there! That's one of those essentials that you've got to have on you at all times! :D

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited October 2014
    I've been dealing with what I think is PCOS for several years now. I've had irregular periods since day one, and gaining a boatload of weight has made it such that I haven't had a period in, like, two years. My doctor's suggestions? Lose weight and take birth control. When I took BC faithfully for a year (with her assurance that it would regulate my period)... nothing happened. No period. She did blood testing (I told her "I think I have PCOS") and she confirmed that my testosterone levels were high but always skirted around actually confirming if I do or don't have it.

I'm wanting to switch doctors but I'm so afraid of getting another doctors whose only advice is "lose weight", as if my weight were the only problem and as though I didn't have these same problems when I was a thinner teen :/

I keep seeing that gluten-free and low-carb diets are a good bet for ladies with PCOS/insulin-sensitivity. I'm a bit antsy because I'm a vegan and I apparently don't handle soy well... so how does one go about doing a low-card higher-protein diet with no soy, no meats, no fish, no soy, and no/few wheat/carbs? Low-carb... veggies?
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    I have lived with PCOS since age 16 (now 24). Still looking for the answer. I have lost over 20lbs and it has been a struggle, i did best on the keto diet but find it unsustainable long term. I have acne on and off and all drs do is switch me from birth control to birth control in hopes of finding a suitable one.

I have currently stopped taking birth control (my own decision), 8 years of birth control is not good for anyone (in my opinion), i will be seeking a more holistic approach in the future. I eat well but have terrible skin, hormones are doing this for certain.
  • AnutChelle
    AnutChelle Posts: 51 Member
    I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago, but several doctors told me they suspected that I had it but only my current doctor bothered to test me to find out. She wanted me to try eating better and light exercise before starting any medication and it definitely seems to be helping. I am really glad to have read this post because the only symptoms that I knew about were the cysts, hair growth, slow weight loss, and irregular periods. I didn't realize that my acne, skin tags, and fatigue might be a symptom of PCOS as well. Thank you for posting this information!
  • Miss_1999
    I've been dealing with what I think is PCOS for several years now. I've had irregular periods since day one, and gaining a boatload of weight has made it such that I haven't had a period in, like, two years. My doctor's suggestions? Lose weight and take birth control. When I took BC faithfully for a year (with her assurance that it would regulate my period)... nothing happened. No period. She did blood testing (I told her "I think I have PCOS") and she confirmed that my testosterone levels were high but always skirted around actually confirming if I do or don't have it.

I'm wanting to switch doctors but I'm so afraid of getting another doctors whose only advice is "lose weight", as if my weight were the only problem and as though I didn't have these same problems when I was a thinner teen :/

I keep seeing that gluten-free and low-carb diets are a good bet for ladies with PCOS/insulin-sensitivity. I'm a bit antsy because I'm a vegan and I apparently don't handle soy well... so how does one go about doing a low-card higher-protein diet with no soy, no meats, no fish, no soy, and no/few wheat/carbs? Low-carb... veggies?

Ok, what I would recommend doing, since you are exhibiting some of the symptoms, and you know for a fact that you have high testosterone levels, look into making an appointment with an endocrinologist. They are specialized in disorders such as PCOS, and will run more thorough tests. Their only advise won't be to simply "lose weight" and everything will go away. They will test all of your hormone levels as well as your insulin levels to find out what's going on.

In the introduction post above, there are host of symptoms listed as well as some *not limited to* common treatments for PCOS. There are natural alternatives for PCOS, and one of the most common, and usually the first tried is altering diet and exercise. Being a vegan, this may pose a challenge. I will be honest, not living a vegan lifestyle, I don't know the first thing about how one would go about a lower carb lifestyle doing so- however, this is a great question, and one I'm glad you asked!

It is something you definitely need to speak with your doctor or endocrinologist about. He/she will most likely refer you to a nutritionist to speak about healthy vegan friendly options for women living with PCOS.

Please keep us posted and let us know how you're doing and how things go!

• Miss_1999
    I have lived with PCOS since age 16 (now 24). Still looking for the answer. I have lost over 20lbs and it has been a struggle, i did best on the keto diet but find it unsustainable long term. I have acne on and off and all drs do is switch me from birth control to birth control in hopes of finding a suitable one.

I have currently stopped taking birth control (my own decision), 8 years of birth control is not good for anyone (in my opinion), i will be seeking a more holistic approach in the future. I eat well but have terrible skin, hormones are doing this for certain.

I can most definitely understand that, and there are more natural alternatives out there for treating PCOS. There are so many things ranging from making changes in your diet and exercise routine, to incorporating the use of cinnamon capsules with your daily meal and other natural supplements, to the medicinal route. It all depends upon the severity of your PCOS. Every woman is different and every case is different. No two treatments will be the same for the same woman, and no case of PCOS is exactly the same in any woman.

It's definitely a good thing that you are eating well, that does make a big difference, and it makes a difference that you're eating in a way that you can live. I know you'd mentioned the keto diet, and don't get me wrong- I have absolutely NOTHING against something that is helping a person, but like you said, it wasn't sustainable long term, and for those of us with PCOS, that's not a good thing. We need something that we can stick with for the long haul. We're going to live with this for the rest of our lives. It doesn't mean that we have out punish ourselves, or deprive ourselves, but at the same time, we've got to find something that we can live with.

You're right, hormones will mess up your skin, and everything else with PCOS. It wrecks our bodies. I'm hopeful that you'll be able to find the treatment that you're looking for. Please keep us posted!

• Miss_1999
    AnutChelle wrote: »
    I was diagnosed with PCOS two years ago, but several doctors told me they suspected that I had it but only my current doctor bothered to test me to find out. She wanted me to try eating better and light exercise before starting any medication and it definitely seems to be helping. I am really glad to have read this post because the only symptoms that I knew about were the cysts, hair growth, slow weight loss, and irregular periods. I didn't realize that my acne, skin tags, and fatigue might be a symptom of PCOS as well. Thank you for posting this information!

You are most welcome! I'm so glad this could help, and glad that you seem to be doing well! :D

• Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member

Ok, what I would recommend doing, since you are exhibiting some of the symptoms, and you know for a fact that you have high testosterone levels, look into making an appointment with an endocrinologist. They are specialized in disorders such as PCOS, and will run more thorough tests. Their only advise won't be to simply "lose weight" and everything will go away. They will test all of your hormone levels as well as your insulin levels to find out what's going on.

In the introduction post above, there are host of symptoms listed as well as some *not limited to* common treatments for PCOS. There are natural alternatives for PCOS, and one of the most common, and usually the first tried is altering diet and exercise. Being a vegan, this may pose a challenge. I will be honest, not living a vegan lifestyle, I don't know the first thing about how one would go about a lower carb lifestyle doing so- however, this is a great question, and one I'm glad you asked!

It is something you definitely need to speak with your doctor or endocrinologist about. He/she will most likely refer you to a nutritionist to speak about healthy vegan friendly options for women living with PCOS.

Thanks! I've been meaning to try to get myself a doctor's appointment soon... I never considered seeing an endocrinologist but that does sound like a really good idea! :>
  • Miss_1999

Thanks! I've been meaning to try to get myself a doctor's appointment soon... I never considered seeing an endocrinologist but that does sound like a really good idea! :>

Absolutely! Unfortunately a lot of regular GP's and even often times OB/GYN's just don't have enough knowledge about PCOS to give the diagnosis and/or treatments to keep PCOS under control. They may *know* about PCOS, or be able to give the diagnosis, but just aren't up to date on the latest treatments or as knowledgeable as perhaps someone who specializes in endocrine disorders (which PCOS is) like an endocrinologist, which is why many women who are diagnosed tend to turn to endocrinologist for treatment. Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

• toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    I found out I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance in April of 2012 and was hitting the scales at 265 lbs.

My doctor recommended a book called the Insulin Resistance diet after explaining to me what eating a high carb diet was doing to my body. The book taught me how to eat to a 15 carb to 7 protein ratio that didn't exceed 30 carbs at any meals.

Although that sounds very difficult, it just taught me how to properly portion my foods and eat healthy. After 16 months of being on the diet, I lost 101 lbs and reversed my Insulin Resistance and PCOS. I've maintained my weight loss for over a year and hope to have children next year.
  • Miss_1999
    I found out I had PCOS and Insulin Resistance in April of 2012 and was hitting the scales at 265 lbs.

My doctor recommended a book called the Insulin Resistance diet after explaining to me what eating a high carb diet was doing to my body. The book taught me how to eat to a 15 carb to 7 protein ratio that didn't exceed 30 carbs at any meals.

Although that sounds very difficult, it just taught me how to properly portion my foods and eat healthy. After 16 months of being on the diet, I lost 101 lbs and reversed my Insulin Resistance and PCOS. I've maintained my weight loss for over a year and hope to have children next year.

This is WONDERFUL! Congrats to you! So you were able to get your PCOS/IR under control with diet/exercise alone? That is WONDERFUL news!!! Honestly, they call that a "diet", but for us, it's a lifestyle. You change the way you eat and look at food, and it does become a way of life for those of us living with PCOS/IR. I am so happy your IR has been reversed! Best of luck on TTC! Please keep us posted on how things go, and congrats on your weight loss!

• texas_state11
    texas_state11 Posts: 18 Member
    I am so happy to see so many different stories on here because with PCOS it is such a diverse problem so I thought I would share my story. When I was about 6 years old I was diagnosed with Precocious puberty. I was to young to really understand what was truly going on but my mom took me to an endocrinologist when I began "budding" at 6 and my growing breast hurt. I was also continuously getting yeast infections. After some bloodwork thats when we found out I had precocious puberty. I immediately began taking steroids to slow the growth of my hormones which really helped and eventually got off them when I was about 9. By this time I was 5'6 which is my adult height and I was extremely heavy. When I started my period at 11 my body seemed to even out... I lost a ton of weight I was curvy but still skinny, I also began dancing at this time as well. When I got into high school (my freshman year) my mom made me get on birth control pills even though my periods were normal and I never had any problems with pms. During high school I was extremely skinny mostly because I danced constantly on my high school dance team but towards the end of my Junior year of high school I began to feel extremely lethargic and had virtually no energy, I couldn't keep up in dance anymore so I had to quit. During my Senior year I began packing on weight very fast. From the time I started my Senior year in high school to the time I started my Freshman year in College I had gained 100 lbs. I couldn't believe it. None of my doctors could figure out what was wrong with me. Finally concerned about my weight coming on so quickly I asked my gyno to test me for diabetes but she also tested my thyroid. Luckily no diabetes but my thyroid levels were so level she told me that my thyroid was dead. It took me 2 years to get into an endocrinologist to find out I have hypothyroid disease. She also asked me if I had PCOS which at the time I had never heard of and then just brushed it off. Anyway I found out that I have insulin resistance and extremely irregular periods since going off bc but I have only had a cyst once and it was small and went away on its own. I also think that my hypothyroid disease and PCOS coincides with my precocious puberty from when I was younger. What do yall think? Can anyone relate? I don't anyone with any of these health problems and am worried for what my future holds...

P.S. I'm sorry my story was so long and rambly... thanks for listening :)
  • Miss_1999
    I am so happy to see so many different stories on here because with PCOS it is such a diverse problem so I thought I would share my story. When I was about 6 years old I was diagnosed with Precocious puberty. I was to young to really understand what was truly going on but my mom took me to an endocrinologist when I began "budding" at 6 and my growing breast hurt. I was also continuously getting yeast infections. After some bloodwork thats when we found out I had precocious puberty. I immediately began taking steroids to slow the growth of my hormones which really helped and eventually got off them when I was about 9. By this time I was 5'6 which is my adult height and I was extremely heavy. When I started my period at 11 my body seemed to even out... I lost a ton of weight I was curvy but still skinny, I also began dancing at this time as well. When I got into high school (my freshman year) my mom made me get on birth control pills even though my periods were normal and I never had any problems with pms. During high school I was extremely skinny mostly because I danced constantly on my high school dance team but towards the end of my Junior year of high school I began to feel extremely lethargic and had virtually no energy, I couldn't keep up in dance anymore so I had to quit. During my Senior year I began packing on weight very fast. From the time I started my Senior year in high school to the time I started my Freshman year in College I had gained 100 lbs. I couldn't believe it. None of my doctors could figure out what was wrong with me. Finally concerned about my weight coming on so quickly I asked my gyno to test me for diabetes but she also tested my thyroid. Luckily no diabetes but my thyroid levels were so level she told me that my thyroid was dead. It took me 2 years to get into an endocrinologist to find out I have hypothyroid disease. She also asked me if I had PCOS which at the time I had never heard of and then just brushed it off. Anyway I found out that I have insulin resistance and extremely irregular periods since going off bc but I have only had a cyst once and it was small and went away on its own. I also think that my hypothyroid disease and PCOS coincides with my precocious puberty from when I was younger. What do yall think? Can anyone relate? I don't anyone with any of these health problems and am worried for what my future holds...

P.S. I'm sorry my story was so long and rambly... thanks for listening :)

Don't ever apologize for telling your story or asking questions! That's what we're here for! I'm not a doctor, so I definitely can't tell you with any certainty, but I can tell you that it is absolutely possibly, and the PCOS absolutely. Precocious puberty would've been the correct diagnosis for me, had doctors back in the early 80's (in my area) known enough, or cared enough to look into things. I was wearing wearing a training bra in the first grade, and in the picture I've posted in my success story thread- I was 8 years old, I had to wear a bra daily. I was already a B cup. By age 13, I was a DD. I too, started my period at age 11, and they were horrible. The pain would at times be so bad that I couldn't go out and enjoy things with my friends. I had to wear those ungodly huge maxi-pads with wings that went from one end of your underwear to the other. I was so embarrassed. I was only a kid. I guess that's why now, I'd rather die than use a pad.

I do know that a lot of women who have PCOS do have thyroid issues as well, but they are not exclusive. I've never had any problems with my thyroid. I just had my yearly blood work about month ago, and my thyroid was one of the things that was checked. Everything came back fine. Living with PCOS/IR (and/or Thyroid issues) it is extremely important to have your yearly blood panel done- or more frequently if your doctor/endocrinologist requests. This will help to get you and keep you on the road to wellness.

The good news is, you don't have to be afraid! There are SO many treatments available out there for those of us living with PCOS/IR and Thyroid issues. Like you said, this is NOT a one size fits all disease, and there are many treatments available to help. You can do this, and you aren't alone! *hugs*

Here is my success story- if you like, you can read through it. I've never been thin in my life, until now, but, we do have some similarities with our PCOS issues:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454924/over-170lbs-gone-with-pcos/p1

• annuhtim
    annuhtim Posts: 3 Member
    I am so glad to see women with PCOS on here. Makes me feel like I am not alone.

I got diagnosed when I was 13 but my mother was so old school, she decided not to do anything about it (because that would mean putting me on birth control to regulate hormones/prevent cysts). I've always been chubby after that and slowly ballooned up to 180-185lbs and I just stayed in between that range. I tried dieting but I felt like nothing worked. I would stall at 179-176lbs and then gain it back again.

Luckily I found a husband who supports me, wants me to be healthier so I got on Metaformin, Spiro and began calorie counting. I am down only 8 lbs in a month so far but I am still proud of it because before I used to give up but seeing it go down slowly (but surely) makes me feel like I have a chance to live a "normal" life.

Reading all the stories are here inspirational and motiviational!
  • Miss_1999
    annuhtim wrote: »
    I am so glad to see women with PCOS on here. Makes me feel like I am not alone.

I got diagnosed when I was 13 but my mother was so old school, she decided not to do anything about it (because that would mean putting me on birth control to regulate hormones/prevent cysts). I've always been chubby after that and slowly ballooned up to 180-185lbs and I just stayed in between that range. I tried dieting but I felt like nothing worked. I would stall at 179-176lbs and then gain it back again.

Luckily I found a husband who supports me, wants me to be healthier so I got on Metaformin, Spiro and began calorie counting. I am down only 8 lbs in a month so far but I am still proud of it because before I used to give up but seeing it go down slowly (but surely) makes me feel like I have a chance to live a "normal" life.

Reading all the stories are here inspirational and motiviational!

8lbs in a month is AWESOME! Way to go on your loss! I'm so glad that your husband is supportive and cares about you and your health! It truly makes a difference when you have someone who believes in you, and wants the very best for you. I am glad that reading through this thread has been inspirational and motivational for you! Keep up the good work! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Keep us posted on how you're doing!

• texas_state11
    texas_state11 Posts: 18 Member
    Miss_1999 thank you so much for putting your link on here, I loved reading your story it gave me so much hope!!!
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    I think I might have PCOS. When I had an ultrasound a few years ago, the person doing it commented on how my ovaries appeared to have cysts in them. However, we didn't really follow up on it and now I'm afraid to go to an OB/GYN. If I just eat healthy and exercise, do you think I'll be fine?
  • Miss_1999
    HereLieWe wrote: »
    I think I might have PCOS. When I had an ultrasound a few years ago, the person doing it commented on how my ovaries appeared to have cysts in them. However, we didn't really follow up on it and now I'm afraid to go to an OB/GYN. If I just eat healthy and exercise, do you think I'll be fine?

Ok, you're going to get Christy's lecture. I saw on your profile you're 19. You need to be making yearly visits to your OB/GYN for well-woman exams- to have your cervical cancer screening as well as breast cancer screening (women under the age of 40 unless at risk usually have a manual exam given by their doctor checking for lumps.) This is SO very important. I cannot stress enough how important it is to go to have your yearly exam. These save lives!

Now, with this said, as far as simply eating healthy and exercising, unfortunately, I honestly cannot say? Both are VERY good things to do to help keep your body in general in good health, but as far as you having and/or treating PCOS, you would most definitely need to speak with an OB/GYN or endocrinologist for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. What I have listed on the initial post are some of the most common treatments that are available for those of us who are suffering with PCOS, and proper diet and exercise is certainly one of the treatments- however, it would be up to your doctor to determine if this is the right treatment for you.

Don't be afraid to go back! I know getting a diagnosis of PCOS can be confusing and scary, but there are a lot of us, and so much more information now about the disorder as well as the various treatments. You definitely aren't alone! Please keep us posted!

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 thank you so much for putting your link on here, I loved reading your story it gave me so much hope!!!

You are most welcome! I am so glad that I was able to give you hope! *BIG HUGS* :D