How often do you slip up?

Options
I apologize if that subject line comes off as negative. I wish that once I said I am starting a diet, I could stick with it until the end, but the truth is I always slip up. It has been one week since I decided to be a dedicated logger, and I just went far over my calories tonight (knowingly, but not caring). It was a mistake, but the difference this time is that I am here, and I'm looking to head in the right direction tomorrow.

Is it terrible that I've already lost focus after only a week? I have heard people say "oh, it happens to us all!", but what exactly does that mean? Every couple weeks? Months?

Replies

• strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I slip up constantly. usually within a day or two. :(
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If your definition of slip up is knowingly overeating but not caring , then never. Sure I have eaten a few incidental calories over my goal but never just blatantly piged out on purpose. That would be counter productive to my ambition and goal.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is based off of averages, so as long as your average is within your goals, you're okay!

It does happen to everyone. Some people every week, some people only once a month, some people less. It all depends on WHY we're 'slipping' up and the ways we're eating and the total calories consumed.

For example, someone on a very strict 1200 calorie diet with a lot of food elimination is more likely to slip up more often than someone eating at 1800 calories without eliminating anything. Someone with a problem bingeing is going to struggle more than someone who doesn't.

Don't think of this as a diet - because it can't be a diet. Your previous eating habits are what got you here. By thinking "diet" you are putting the notion in your head that it's temporary. If you go back to your old ways of eating, you will end up back here again. Think of it as a lifestyle change leading to a better you.
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    first, i dont diet. i eat whatever i want in moderation within my calorie range. so then if i "crave" something i can have it.. but then i need to have less calories later. if you are too restrictive, then thats why you "slip up". also make sure you are actually getting enough calories in. (if you use myfitnesspal calorie goals you are supposed to be eating exercise calories). you can also use www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator or www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator to get a better idea.

having said that, every 3 weeksish i usually have a few days of needing a few extra calories (like 200 more a day).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Almost never. This is not to say I don't have days where I eat over my calorie goal, or days where I don't log at all and just eat what I want. I do. But they are ALWAYS planned ahead for. Sometimes I reduce calories throughout the week to compensate for one of these days. In this case there really is no slip up to speak of, it's just calorie manipulation. Other times I don't do anything to compensate, but because I do it with premeditation I do not consider it a "slip up". If your overall plan doesn't involve flexibility then it's doomed for failure. Life happens, but if you plan ahead you tend not to get into the guilt driven binge/restrict cycles. So many people remain extremely strict, then binge, then either go back to extremely strict or eventually give up all together. I feel like a more moderate approach simply works better.

I also think most people need a free day every now and then too. Again making it pre-planned helps reduce guilt and anxiety associated with it. You just can't make it a regular thing. In a calendar year I probably have 10 free days or less. That's a little less then 3% of the time. I save those for birthdays, holidays, and special occasions. Other instances like going out with friends or family dinners I simply steal calories from the rest of the week.

The slip ups are not even really what matters, it's what you do after they occur that counts. If you do your best to attempt to figure out what caused you to deviate from your plan, then make corrections to hopefully avoid doing it again, the whole experience can actually be a positive because you are learning how to make your plan work better for you. If instead you let guilt take over or you become so discouraged that you quit, then your doomed to keep repeating that process over and over.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Once a week, at most.

You're concerned so that's a good thing but I'd say try to relax. It's not that you're "losing" focus, I think your focusing on the wrong thing. It's kind of like driving a car and focusing on the hood ornament to keep the car exactly in the middle of the lane at all times. You can do it but you're constantly making adjustments resulting in a herky jerky, unpleasant drive. But when you shift your focus down the road to where you are going, adjustments are smoother and the drive is much more pleasant. Your goal when driving is to get where you are going, not necessarily to stay exactly between the lines at all times, right? And isn't the goal here to manage weight rather than eat exactly to plan?

1. Put eating plan on paper.
    2. Log food intake in Food Diary (detailed, reasonably accurate, judgement-free recording only)
    3. Weigh yourself once a week.
    4. Compare current weight to previous week's weight.
    5. Evaluate whether eating plan accomplished weight change goal.
    6. Adjust eating plan if necessary, as necessary.
    7. Rinse and repeat.

And, on weigh-in day, be sure to celebrate yet another week of successful "stick-to-itiveness"!!!!

Good luck :)

BTW, how does one add the smileys? *quizzical look on face
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    My first two months, almost never. After getting to my second goal...a bit. Never enough to gain wait but definitely don't reach my one pound a week goal anymore.
  • FletcherSymons
    Options
    I truly believe that it doesn't matter how much you slip up, as long as you continue eating better the next day. In my experience the reason most people give up on dieting is because they eat rubbish and then think "whats the point" and continue to eat rubbish the next day and the next.

I slip up once or twice a week (Always evenings) but im right back on it the day after.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I find my slip ups happen less and less! But they aren't as big! My stomach just feels too full now if I really overeat. I don't buy my trigger foods, I've never been the sort of girl who can eat a moderate amount of chocolate, one piece sets my cravings going so I try to avoid it! When I do slip up I just log it and move on! Like others i try to plan in for occasions when i know i'll eat more and generally look at the bigger picture. my odd slip-up used to be my regular daily food intake!
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i schedule my slip ups

1 drink once every other friday,and the last two days of the month i cheat and eat whatever i want (2 meals a day max).

sometimes, very rarely ill be too tired to go to the gym, almost happened today but i hung in there and went
  • sino19
    sino19 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I slip up constantly. usually within a day or two. :(

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If your definition of slip up is knowingly overeating but not caring , then never. Sure I have eaten a few incidental calories over my goal but never just blatantly piged out on purpose. That would be counter productive to my ambition and goal.

^ what he said ^
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um, since I'm not dieting I have nothing to slip off of. How often do I go over calories?? It's not happened yet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I apologize if that subject line comes off as negative. I wish that once I said I am starting a diet, I could stick with it until the end, but the truth is I always slip up. It has been one week since I decided to be a dedicated logger, and I just went far over my calories tonight (knowingly, but not caring). It was a mistake, but the difference this time is that I am here, and I'm looking to head in the right direction tomorrow.

Is it terrible that I've already lost focus after only a week? I have heard people say "oh, it happens to us all!", but what exactly does that mean? Every couple weeks? Months?

I think you're doing this exactly right. This is a strategy that Ive seen described once or twice but may not be adopted by many - that when you start up to focus exclusively on just logging, learning the skill and building the habit for the first two to three weeks. Go over? Who cares. Just log it. Then after that you have all this data in front of you and can make realizations like, well I would have enjoyed this salad just fine with only one tablespoon of ranch, etc etc. And of course, the less aggressive of a goal you have, the easier it'll be to make small modifications and voila! You're coming in under

I used to "slip up" all the time until I realized that slipping up was my plan. The app shows a weekly summary of calories where I can see how many calories I have left for the week. My target is now 1460 and some days may be 2400 due to wanting a burger at the last minute (I can't get into logging in advance - I just can't), and some days may even be negative due to a lot of exercise. So long as at the end of the week I'm under cslories, I know I'll lose weight.
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get it wrong. Most weekends!!! Meals out, wine etc. I look at it long term. I'm always playing with the same 10lb. I drop it go on holiday and it comes back.
    I log my meals/drink and forget about it. Half a pound a week? 26lb A year, happy days!! Look long term and don't worry. Refocus and plan what you want for 1 or 2 meals. Then do the next one. Baby steps! And no pressure.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I don't slip up. That's not to say I don't go over calories I know that consistency is the key the majority of the time I am within calories but I know that at times I will be over but that's life. The idea is not to make myself suffer or feel guilty but live in a way I can for the rest of my life. So there will be days I eat a wee bit over the same way there will be days when I have a ton of exercise calories left at the end of the day I don't mark these down as bad or good days I just keep going. it all evens out. It's looking at the big picture. Micro managing is fine but the whole is the sum of it's part. I know in my mind if the reason I've gone over is the start of a trend so I don't lie to myself if that happens. My goal is to live and be healthy and part of being healthy is addressing the whole thing not just one day, or one minute
  • schle009
    schle009 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do usually once every couple weeks and it generally depends on the time of the month (you know...). It also really depends on my mood. I've been better at keeping up since being on anti-depressants. Generally if my weight gets to a level I don't like, it kickstarts me back up. Thankfully the weight I don't like decreases every few weeks so it's not like I'm gaining twenty, losing twenty, gaining twenty, losing twenty, etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good." Vince Lombardi

What does that mean to you? Nothing is perfect. To pursue perfection is a a worthy goal, and you might have some perfect days, but most days you'll fall short of perfection.

Allow yourself to be perfectly imperfect.
  • thessdayton
    thessdayton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well said....
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't think of this as slipping up. I don't do it very often but I think of it as living my life. To have a day that I have gone over and then getting back on track immediately is something I have put in my habits now. That mindset takes time to establish. I did that here.
    Life will go on, I believe the key for me is to understand that and adjust my calories and exercise accordingly.

I only mention the exercise here because I will earn lots of calories exercising if I know I am going to have a calorie heavy dinner, lunch, party etc.

My friends and I laugh because we refer to this as " wiggle" room.

Good luck to you