Extra virgin olive oil - who uses it?

Options
Anybody use this for their salads and/or their chicken breast?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why would I put it on my chicken breast?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use it sparingly on salad and other veggies. Sometimes I use it in a marinade for chicken.
    I don't eat beef, but my husband likes to marinade steak with minced garlic and parsley and olive oil.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I use it to make mayonnaise which I then make a chipolte salad dressing with so yes, I use it on salad.
    No I don't use it on chicken breast. I don't put anything on my chicken.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Extra virgin olive oil tastes much better than regular olive oil, so yeah, wonderful on salads and marinating cold things. Great as a bread dip with garlic and a few hot pepper flakes.

Pardon if you already know this - the flavor of olive oil is wiped out by heating to cooking temperatures. Regular olive oil has the same good fats and is less expensive for cooking.

Extra virgin just means it is cold-pressed, never getting too warm. This is usually the first pressing, Subsequent pressings exert more pressure to extract more and raise the temperature. (High school physics.) Some people think it is throwing money away to cook with extra virgin 'cus the flavor is destroyed anyway. I find that to be true. I respect opposing opinions.
  • lovefreeliving11
    Options
    Hey! I have a really nice substitute for salad dressing that I use for my daily kale salad!
    --Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over your greens
    --squeeze 1/2 of a lemon
    --sprinkle sea salt and mix it all together

Delicious and good for you..olive oil is a healthy fat! =)

Adriana
    www.lovefreeliving.com
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use it for salads and a lot of things I ate without heating them. I also use a lot of flaxseed oil. Even more tho that olive oil, it's even more delicious! If I need to fry something I use rapeseed oil instead.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I also use it on my salad- equal parts extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar! Delicious!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I use high quality FRESH (only from the most recent harvest) evoo for salads and to make all of those good Leventine foods like hummus, ful, and baba ganush. Back when I could eat bread, I'd just take some fresh baked lebanese bread and dip it in olive oil mixed with thyme and sumac ZOMG.. Delish.

I use half regular(less expensive) olive oil and half butter for sauteeing.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

Extra virgin just means it is cold-pressed, never getting too warm. This is usually the first pressing, Subsequent pressings exert more pressure to extract more and raise the temperature.

Ummmm. Not exactly

http://www.oliveoiltimes.com/extra-virgin-olive-oil

Extra virgin is the highest quality and most expensive olive oil classification. It should have no defects and a flavor of fresh olives.
    In chemical terms extra virgin olive oil is described as having a free acidity, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.8 grams per 100 grams and a peroxide value of less than 20 milliequivalent O2. It must be produced entirely by mechanical means without the use of any solvents, and under temperatures that will not degrade the oil (less than 86°F, 30°C).

In order for an oil to qualify as “extra virgin” the oil must also pass both an official chemical test in a laboratory and a sensory evaluation by a trained tasting panel recognized by the International Olive Council. The olive oil must be found to be free from defects while exhibiting some fruitiness.

And since there is no labeling requirements to call a oil extra virgin in the USA many popular brands sold are NOT actually extra virgin even though they charge a premium.

http://oliveoil.ucdavis.edu/research/files/report041211finalreduced.pdf

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use it on my salads, my vegies, in marinades and sauces...