Need Help GAINING WEIGHT!

Options
I've always been skinny, like really skinny. I hate being like this, it really makes me feel uncomfortable outside. I always ate normally but I never seem to gain any weight. I am 19 yrs. old, I am 5'11 and 132 pounds. I know I am well underweight, I am really looking to gain about 20 pounds by the end of this year. I am usually active, play a lot of basketball, sports, and sometimes workout. I really want to put on a little muscle too but mostly just want to feel normal. I have a high metabolism too. I'm not sure how or what to eat to get 3,500 calories a day. Can anyone help me out?

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I would say to first establish your baseline, and track your food intake here for a week or so, to get a better handle on the amount and the mix of macronutrients you're putting into your body for fuel. Secondly I would use one of the many online calculators to figure out how much you should be eating just to maintain your weight. Compare the two, and now you will have an idea of the gap you need to bridge first just to thread water and maintain your weight.

I would aim to meet your daily maintenance needs first if you are not, and would suggest doing this through planning meals, and have options for breakfast, lunch and dinner. In addition, plan pre and post workout mini-meals/ snacks, in addition to your three main meals.

Given you are quite active, a diet rich in carbs would also be recommended so you can fuel your body optimally for the activities you do. A typical athletes diet would suit you best I am imagining, where you would aim for plenty of complex carbohydrates and good sources of protein at each meal, letting fat fall where it may, and simply not being afraid to eat it also, just simply focussing on carbs and protein.

Good carb sources would be things like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, grains, with wholegrain & wholewheat versions generally preferred just from a slower energy release point of view.

Good sources of protein would be most meat sources, just maybe eating a little less of the fattier and saltier cuts. Fresh & canned fish is also a great source, as is dairy. In addition many of the carb sources in your diet will give a little protein too, especially grains, but if you're really struggling to hit protein with all these, a protein shake/ bar would be a good option, but also a last resort, as with where you're coming from, the focus should be on forming solid dietary habits rather than relying too much on quick fixes right now. If you need to supplement protein after you sort out all the nuts and bolts of your diet, that's fine, but personally I wouldn't be looking at it right now.

Of course it goes without saying, anytime you want to eat do so, although just make sure you don't miss any major meals, and treat snacking as supplemental to your main meals, as opposed to replacements for them. Eat desserts, eat sweets, drink milk with meals, eat bread with meals (although I would try keep the white stuff to a minimum), and anywhere else you can squeeze in additional calories. If you can get to the point where you are not losing or maintaining weight, and are simply adding a half or full pound every week in a controlled manner, I would say that would be a great outcome.

Oh, and re: meals, what works best for me, is knowing what I'm having for breakfast every day, so little thought goes into it. Likewise with dinner, where I will often make sure I eat either a piece of meat or fish with vegetables. In your case, you want to go for the starchier vegetables, and also try make a habit of having something for dessert every day just to get some additional calories. So, with breakfast and dinner sorted, I tend to only worry about lunch every day, and typically just have what I feel like.

The remainder then will be good snacks, and pre and post workout meals & snacks.

I hope this helps, and if you need to supplement what you're eating with a calorie-rich shake also (oats, a banana, some peanut butter and some protein powder, all mixed with milk tends to make a quick and easy 500/ 600/ 700 calories), I would do so, but just don't lose focus on the core aspects of your diet, and treat shakes as extra measures on top of what you're already doing.
  • DaleCreasey96
    Options
    Hey'

I'm having the same problem but i'm a ectomoprth which is understandable

i just track my food and eat more then my body needs and go try go to the gym several l times a week.

Good luck

Note: Drink water