calorie deficit amount

Options
hi. I am new to this so this question might be stupid. how much should calorie deficit be a day? the more I work out the hungrier I am. I want to lose two pounds a week. I and 5 ft 8in and 186. if I workout more to lose the weight I get hungry again. tips?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    1 lb = 3500 cal
    (2 x 3500 cal)/7 days = 1000 cal/day deficit
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is going to be too aggressive at your weight. Choose a deficit of one pound and eat back half of your exercise calories.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks. does that mean if I eat 1500 a day that I have to workout until it was only 500? or it I am lowering my calorie intake from what I did eat before can I count that too?
  • myaminals
    Options
    thanks jemhh and malibu927
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    thanks. does that mean if I eat 1500 a day that I have to workout until it was only 500? or it I am lowering my calorie intake from what I did eat before can I count that too?

Your MFP goal is set without exercise. You want to meet it, including eating back what you burn through exercise. Generally MFP burns will be overestimated, so most people only eat half of those calories back. But you should not net under 1200 calories.

Read these threads:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you :smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think I'm the only person on MFP who doesn't sit around doing math and eat up or down to the magic number.

IMO, the correct calorie deficit is the one that allows you to lose weight without feeling weak, tired or ravenously hungry. That amount food will differ from person to person and from day to day.
  • myaminals
    Options
    if I don't add up and count down I give what I think is sensible and find out it is not..... still learning portion sizes no fun
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think Kalikel is saying 'pick an amount, eat it, adjust as needed.' It's much simpler. Most women can lose and be comfortable, including with exercise, around 1500. Much less math than trying to 'eat back' based on every day's activity.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I think Kalikel is saying 'pick an amount, eat it, adjust as needed.' It's much simpler. Most women can lose and be comfortable, including with exercise, around 1500. Much less math than trying to 'eat back' based on every day's activity.
    I'm saying I do that. I also go over and under on a routine basis.

BUT I am the oddball. Most people know what a TDEE is and their number. They do some math, find a number and stick with it. They log exercise calories and then eat an amount of food in addition to the TDEE (minus some percent) number - that amount is often half, but can be a number of different percentages.

If that many people do it and it works for all of them, there must be something to it.

I'm just saying what I do, how I look at it, but pointing out that there might be a better way. :)

Had I found MFP before I began losing, I might've jumped on the TDEE wagon. I considered investigating and finding out what it was, but decided (my apologies to Hues Corporation), not to rock my boat. :)