Mango's Peeling and Allergic reaction!

Options
I had no idea what I was about the do the other day. I bought some mangos, one of ripe so I was all in for it. I dove right in and ate it all up through out the day. I ate it right off the peel. I even ate off the pit! I had no idea that the "Chapped" feeling on my lips would get worse through out the next two days. I thought it was the weather changing and it wasn't. I woke up today with swollen, red, itchy, lips with little bumps on it. Knowing this isn't the herpes complex, I knew exactly what it was: Allergic reaction. I did some research and eventually discovered that Mango's peeling, leaves, and tree itself has the same type of oil (urushiol) as poison ivy and poison oak. This being the chemical that causes an allergic reaction!

Usually the hands are not bothered because you wash them, rub off the oil, and its tougher skin. But, with people who are extra sensitive to poison ivy and poison oak (like myself, my mom and I are HORRIBLY allergic) it can cause irritation on the neck, face, arms, etc anywhere you touch and even worse reactions to more sensitive skin (like my lips, which are in a lot of pain right now...)

The good news: If you have this issue, most likely you can still eat the mango fruit itself! Just have someone peel the fruit for you or where gloves while handling the fruit and wash your hands after.

I also learned that some people who have issues with latex (I don't but thought maybe some of you might need to know) may also react to mangos, kiwis, bananas and avocados.

Simple and fair warning: Be careful what you are eating. I had NO clue about this.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. Be careful. Allergies sometimes get worse with each exposure.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful that the peeled mango doesn't touch my lips when I eat it, too, or my lips blister. Frozen mango bothers me a lot less than fresh.
  • beth4326
    Options
    Please know that Mangos can also effect people with tree nut allergies. ( I am mot saying this to Lynn's situation. Just mentioning for others)

http://www.aaaai.org/ask-the-expert/mango-cross-reactivity-cashew-pistachio.aspx

I am new and would like friends, I am a 40yr old mom who is starting to lift
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to my stepdad if he comes in contact with mango skin. While he can eat the fruit safely if its completely peeled, he generally just avoids it and sticks to all other fruits, nuts etc which he has no problems with... a shame, cause mangoes are so much nomssss!
  • LynnModest
    LynnModest Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will continue to eat my favorite fruit, but I will avoid the peel at all costs! lol