Sugar

Options
What are your guys thought's on sugar? I am finding it hard to keep my consumption down, I am eating 150-200+ grams of it a day. Mostly from fruit, cereal (milk), protein shakes (milk), yogurts..

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I ignore it. Total carbs is what is important.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I try to limit sugar as it causes inflammation.
  • kynsie2
    kynsie2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Added sugar is the single worst ingredient in the modern diet.
    Sugar contains a lot of calories, with no essential nutrients. When repeatedly eating large amounts of sugar, this process can lead to fatty liver and all sorts of serious problems.
    Not to mention diabetes, obesity and some studies say links to heart disease.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What are your guys thought's on sugar? I am finding it hard to keep my consumption down, I am eating 150-200+ grams of it a day. Mostly from fruit, cereal (milk), protein shakes (milk), yogurts..

@ 387 calories / 100 grams..... sugar can probably be part of your total plan to gain weight.
  • Tashia_HH
    Tashia_HH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It causes inflammation for me so I try to stay away from it. The only sugar I eat comes from fruits and I try to keep that low based on the glycemic index.
  • beth4326
    Options
    I try to limit sugar as it causes inflammation.

bingo!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It helps make food tasty. I don't track it - its part of carbs - I track that.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sugar contains a lot of calories, with no essential nutrients. When repeatedly eating large amounts of sugar, this process can lead to fatty liver and all sorts of serious problems.

Read the OP.

And no, it is not the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. There is no single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Well, except pineapple as that shiz is evil.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    It helps make food tasty. I don't track it - its part of carbs - I track that.

^This

Read the OP.

And no, it is not the single worst ingredient in the modern diet. There is no single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Well, except pineapple as that shiz is evil.

^QFT, especially the pineapple bit. Bleh.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I ignore sugar from fruit or other natural sources. I pay attention to processed or added sugar. I try to keep that at or below 30g/day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Added Sugar is the reason why most of us are overweight!

I'm on the wagon again - i.e. off cookies - candy etc until Christmas - it's the only way I can do this.

Funny, but studies show otherwise. The increase in weight in the US on average tracks with the increased consumption of a combination of foods - and sugar is not the highest, based on government surveys of consumption and activity over the years.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

I'm on the wagon again - i.e. off cookies - candy etc until Christmas - it's the only way I can do this.
    No the reason most of us got over weight was eating too much food. Those calories came from Protein fats and carbs, so yes. I'm off to enjoy my cupcake now
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Pretty sure that eating at a calorie surplus is why most of us are overweight, not sugar.

Funny, but studies show otherwise. The increase in weight in the US on average tracks with the increased consumption of a combination of foods - and sugar is not the highest, based on government surveys of consumption and activity over the years.

I know that I overate/tend to overeat more with "regular foods" than sugary type ones.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My opinion on sugar is that it tastes amazing, but I have to limit it. Sadly I have blood sugar issues.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

Read the OP.

^^ yep this.

I never monitor my sugar, I wouldn't have a clue how much I eat - obviously it has completely prevented me from losing any weight....or something.

And pineapple - blurgh :sick:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

There is no single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Well, except pineapple as that shiz is evil.

Like we're supposed to believe you, Ed? :wink:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Eating sugar does NOT cause diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is caused by a combination of risk factors (those who develop it usually have at least 2 or 3) including genetics, long term use of certain medications like antidepressants and statins, age, obesity, if your mother had gestational diabetes when carrying you, and there is some correlation (but not a proven causation) to environmental factors such as herbicides, BPA's, arsenic, etc.

Yes, many who are T2D are overweight. Yes, most who are overweight are so because they ate too many calories which includes both simple (sugar) and complex (starch) carbohydrates. This does not mean that people develop T2D because they ate too many sugars.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid too many of the typically sugary foods (cookies, cakes, etc) although I certainly allow myself some from time to time. But I don't worry about the sugar that may come in breads, milk, etc. And DEFINITELY do not worry about the naturally occurring sugar in fruit.
  • LibertyBelle_75
    LibertyBelle_75 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I'm an "all or nothing" type of person when it comes to added sugar. It is truly an addiction. By no means am I saying that it's addictive for everyone, but it is for me and I do best if I stay away from it. Refined and processed carbs are my nemesis.

I highly suggest watching the documentary "Fed Up" for anyone who has issues with food, particularly sugar.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find the problem with sugar is that it triggers an insulin response, making you more hungry. Keeping to my diet has been relatively easy since giving up sugar.