Low carbs fast meals

Options
with my job, a teacher, and my after school activities, coaching, I am finding it difficult to find a quick meal from the frozen section that is not filled with carbs. I can not take my lunch until almost 1 30 and I begin coaching at 3 30 and don't get home until 7 pm unless we have a game. I have felt like if I eat at 7 pm I don't get enough exercise in prior to eating and just sit around doing things for school or my coaching. I try to eat my dinner prior to practice so that is about 315. I buy a lot of lean cuisine meals and healthy choice meals but they are loaded with carbs. I have taken tuna and chicken a lot of days and mix it with veggies and fruit but need some ideas on other meals that are easy to pop in a microwave or fix. I don't have a lot of time as some nights I find myself cooking my chicken for the next day about 10 pm. Any suggestions???????????

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For lunch ? how about a burger and eat it with a salad or some vegetables.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Cook a low carb dish or two during the weekend and freeze it for during the week: chili, crustless quiche, pork chops, .
  • Am5481
    Options
    I have difficulty finding healthy meals at work, so do most of my cooking on the weekend and put in portioned containers and take them with me. Made a huge difference!
  • akshngrl
    akshngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the same problem. Try the slow cooker for low carb meals. My spouse and I like one called "unrolled cabbage rolls" we found online. If you search Low carb slow cooker you'll find lots of good ones. Try to have those going while you're not home and you'll be so glad when you walk into your delicious-smelling home with a hot meal ready and waiting for you. Pack some to take to work the next day.

Turkey slices, celery sticks and hummus, low fat string cheese are easy to grab. Also, I always think of eggs when I'm in a pinch because that is fast, easy and cheap. Cook whatever veggies you have and add eggs for a frittata. Some low carb people avoid beans but they are full of fiber and protein. I buy an S&W brand chili bean that is pinto beans in a tasty sauce. I often stir fry some greens and empty a can of the beans on top, add an egg or some cheese if you like.

I know your pain, I struggle to find the time to cook healthy food for myself too. Good luck! Take the time to prepare good food for yourself, you deserve it!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Me thinks your solution is going to be in taking your lunch to work and skipping the grocery store frozen meals.

Taking your lunch should give you nearly all the same options as eating at home.

Some meat for protein
    hard boiled eggs for fat & protein
    Avacado for fat
    Cheese for fat
    Spinich or kale and a some dressing for your veggy maybe some mushrooms and snow peas or whatever you like

No need to really cook much, quick and easy.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Make up some stir fried chicken dishes with brown rice and veggies .. you can freeze them too .. i do this at home for work n chuck em in the microwave for 2minutes and they're done.. that way you can add whatever carbs you like
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I don't have a microwave available (I'm the road all day). My favorite lo-carb lunches are generally cold, and can survive a few hours w/out refrigeration. Generally only a few carbs. Mixed and matched. I have a can opener in my glove box. And lunch must be easy to pack. I hate mornings, and just want to get out the door, asap.

A couple boiled eggs
    Sharp cheddar cheese
    Summer sausage
    Beef Jerky
    Spinach salad w/ cheese, bacon, boiled egg and Bleu Cheese Dressing
    A can of tuna with a packet of real mayo. (mixed in the can, no bowl req'd)
    Egg salad
    Cucumber
    Green pepper
    Chicken salad on bib or romaine lettuce
    Pork rinds
    bacon (when I make extra the night before)
    Almonds
    No sugar added Peanut butter and celery

Mostly mid 400's for calories. I'm not big on breakfast in the morning, so lunch is a biggy for me.

If I don't pack lunch, cuz I'm lazy or slept in, my grocery store go to are boiled eggs (at deli or a bag of them out of the egg case. Beef Jerky, cheese, cukes, green peppers, nuts. deli meat.... errr... actually the previous list applies.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    I don't have a microwave available (I'm the road all day). My favorite lo-carb lunches are generally cold, and can survive a few hours w/out refrigeration. Generally only a few carbs. Mixed and matched. I have a can opener in my glove box. And lunch must be easy to pack. I hate mornings, and just want to get out the door, asap.

A couple boiled eggs
    Sharp cheddar cheese
    Summer sausage
    Beef Jerky
    Egg salad
    Cucumber
    Green pepper
    Pork rinds
    Almonds

Mostly mid 400's for calories. I'm not big on breakfast in the morning, so lunch is a biggy for me.

If I don't pack lunch, cuz I'm lazy or slept in, my grocery store go to are boiled eggs (at deli or a bag of them out of the egg case. Beef Jerky, cheese, cukes, green peppers, nuts. deli meat.... errr... actually the previous list applies.

Sounds like you are ok with a cold lunch as am I , however I do have a 12 volt lunch box that will heat up food to 300* I use on road trips. Worth the 35 bucks for a hot road meal.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cooking-Lunch-Stove-Cooker/dp/B0037A3Y58

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge at work? If so, take a salad....chicken, ham, egg, cottage cheese, cheese, tuna etc. You could add a handful of almonds.

I'm also a teacher, and that's what I usually do. I'm on maternity leave right now, but when I go back to work, I'll be doing the same again.
  • northbanu
    Options

A couple boiled eggs
    Sharp cheddar cheese
    Summer sausage
    Beef Jerky
    Egg salad
    Cucumber
    Green pepper
    Pork rinds
    Almonds

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-11792-Pocket-Rocket-Stove/dp/B000A8C5QE/
    Sounds like you are ok with a cold lunch as am I , however I do have a 12 volt lunch box that will heat up food to 300* I use on road trips. Worth the 35 bucks for a hot road meal.

Heck yeah. Good one. In the winter I carry this around w/ my backpacking cook kit:
    quick to boil water, or fry up some chops. it's my multi-day backpacking cook kit, so it's light, packs small, and fuel is cheep.
    That lunchbox would make it a complete kitchen, and fit very nicely in the truckbox. Way cool.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options

Brilliant!!! Thanks for sharing.
  • Camo_xxx
    Options

A couple boiled eggs
    Sharp cheddar cheese
    Summer sausage
    Beef Jerky
    Egg salad
    Cucumber
    Green pepper
    Pork rinds
    Almonds

Heck yeah. Good one. In the winter I carry this around w/ my backpacking cook kit:
    quick to boil water, or fry up some chops. it's my multi-day backpacking cook kit, so it's light, packs small, and fuel is cheep.
    That lunchbox would make it a complete kitchen, and fit very nicely in the truckbox. Way cool.

fuel canister stoves rock. I always keep mine in my truck. Don't leave home without it.

I use the jet boil setup. Similar to the MSR stove part but the cup and available pan have a unique heat sink on it that makes heating up or boiling water extremely fast. I also have the coffee press attachment.

The whole stove fits inside of the cup. And has a automatic igniter. Kinda speedy but very well engineered.

Quick hot meal anywhere you find yourself in the world. ( I spend a good deal of the time out in the wild )

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Personal-Cooking-System-Carbon/dp/B002N18PHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411358593&sr=8-1&keywords=Jet+boil
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    I don't have a lot of time as some nights I find myself cooking my chicken for the next day about 10 pm. Any suggestions???????????

Using a George Forman type counter top grill I cook up 10 pounds of chicken breas at a time. cut them into 4 oz hunks and refrigerate. I use them the whole week in all my meals.

A quick meal example would be I would take 2 cups of spinach, avocado and a chicken breast with me. Cube up the chicken breast with kitchen scissors. Next instead of mayo I use the avocado and mash it up with the chicken. Wha la , delicious chicken salad. Server over your spinach and you have a super quick lunch.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Hah, seems we have much common! :-) Considered the Jetboil, it's a good system, decided on the pocket rocket for the price and weight savings (6oz vs nearly a pound if I remember). Add 7oz for a full fuel caister. When you're lugging your camp and 4 or 5 days worth of food, every ounce counts. Not so much in the truck of course, so I carry a decent saute pan as part of my kit.

Every ounce counts, just another reason I want to shed theses extra pounds.

I now return you to our regularly sheduled topic. Sorry for the hijack. :flowerforyou:
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am not as busy as you but am lazy so here are my lunches

protein - rotisserie chicken, buy one on sunday, cut and put into 4 separate ziplocs or use hard boiled eggs, or boca burger
    vegetable - broccoli, asparagus or carrots, wash them, put into ziplocs
    at lunch put both on a plate and heat/steam the food.
    in the meantime, cut up a raw vegetable - cucumber, tomato, carrots or snow peas
    cut up one fruit

this takes me about 15 minutes prep time on weekends and 5 minutes to heat, cut up stuff on eating day.
    coworkers are always envious of my healthy delicious lunches.
  • northbanu
    Options
    Easy to pack, especially if they're last nights leftovers:

Pre-cooked hamburger patties and boneless pork chops mirowave pretty well. Honestly, I'd just eat the pork chops cold. And a side of broccoli.

Thin sliced medium rare steak on a bed of baby spinach, with cucumbers and 2 or 3 cherry tomatoes, topped with a full fat dressing like blue cheese or ranch (bleh).

Smoked sausage or ham cut up and microwaved in some seasoned collard or turnip greens.

A taco salad of seasoned ground beef, shredded cheese, avocado, a couple tablespoons of salsa, and a couple tablespoons of full fat sour cream all on a bed of romaine lettuce.

Shrimp salad (small shrimp, mayo, bay seasoning, celery etc.) on spring greens.

I'm sure I'll think of more... :happy: