Minimum Calories

tatwood106
tatwood106 Posts: 23
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have a question on exercise and BMR. Should my caloric intake ever be less than my Basal Metabolic Rate? My exercise subtracts from the daily intake, Do I need to eat more to bring this back up to Basal Metabolic Rate?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,342 Member
    Don't go below your BMR. Eat the calories earned by exercise until you are at least at your BMR. I always ate all my exercise cals when I was actively exercising. YMMV.
  • Some people on here say to eat your exercise calories, and others will tell you not to. do what you feel is best. I always try to keep my exercise calories, in case I get snackish later in the day/evening. or incase I over indulge.
  • cmriverside
    Some people on here say to eat your exercise calories, and others will tell you not to. do what you feel is best. I always try to keep my exercise calories, in case I get snackish later in the day/evening. or incase I over indulge.

But the question was, do you go below your BMR. I don't think anyone would say "Yes" to that. Eating exercise cals when you are over your BMR is a gray area that is sometimes open for interpretation and wiggle room.
  • cmriverside
    Some people on here say to eat your exercise calories, and others will tell you not to. do what you feel is best. I always try to keep my exercise calories, in case I get snackish later in the day/evening. or incase I over indulge.

But the question was, do you go below your BMR. I don't think anyone would say "Yes" to that. Eating exercise cals when you are over your BMR is a gray area that is sometimes open for interpretation and wiggle room.

....and to further elaborate, if he has just a few pounds to lose - it makes a BIG difference if he goes below his BMR. Ronny, you have a lot of weight to lose, and it is argued that it is better to get the fat off quickly, and you can have a larger deficit when you have so much to lose.

You don't know what the situation is for the OP, he didn't say. I would never recommend going below BMR. Just make sure you have all his facts before you recommend that.
This discussion has been closed.