What is your. . . . .?

What is your single best piece of advise for those trying to lose weight and become healthier?

Mine:
Find something that gets your mind off of food - stop thinking about it constantly, even if it is planning for healthy meals. Too much thinking leads to too much creativity, then too many calories!

Replies

• mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    What is your single best piece of advise for those trying to lose weight and become healthier?

Mine:
    Find something that gets your mind off of food - stop thinking about it constantly, even if it is planning for healthy meals. Too much thinking leads to too much creativity, then too many calories!
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Stay positive, never give up, and believe you deserve it!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Once I realized that I control food & not the other way around, eating became so much easier. :smile:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    1. This is forever.

Eating healthy isn't something you do until you lose the weight... it's something you have to change in your life. If you eat heatlhy and exercise for 6 months, lose 40 lbs and then stop eating healhty and exercising, I can guarantee you will gain the weight back.

2. Plan.

You have to plan ahead... if you're going out - go online and pick your meal before you get there, if you work in an office, bring a lunch ever day so you aren't tempted by fast food, if you're going somewhere and you dont' know the food, either eat ahead or bring your own food. Don't be embarassed to say NO THANKS, even if people ridicule you. Plan ahead, you'll be glad you did when the pounds fly off! :)
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    1. This is forever.

Eating healthy isn't something you do until you lose the weight... it's something you have to change in your life. If you eat heatlhy and exercise for 6 months, lose 40 lbs and then stop eating healhty and exercising, I can guarantee you will gain the weight back.

2. Plan.

You have to plan ahead... if you're going out - go online and pick your meal before you get there, if you work in an office, bring a lunch ever day so you aren't tempted by fast food, if you're going somewhere and you dont' know the food, either eat ahead or bring your own food. Don't be embarassed to say NO THANKS, even if people ridicule you. Plan ahead, you'll be glad you did when the pounds fly off! :)

3. Fun activities that get me off my butt! Golf, tennis, Cardio Strip Tease (don't knock it until you've tried it! And no, it's not raunchy!), and this site!! It's filled with support!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    #1 Don't give up!
    #2 Get excited about the little successes. Be proud of every little thing you do right.
    #3 Let yourself have a treat now and then, or you'll come to resent your new lifestyle.
    #4 Get moving :)
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    It's ok to make mistakes. One bad day isn't gonna ruin everything. Just start again the next day :smile:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    My advice would be, "get off your lazy butt and get moving!" Our bodies were designed to MOVE not sit there like a lump. People would be amazed (I was) that by getting up and doing something (folding clothes, taking a short stroll) does wonders for you as opposed to sitting in front of the TV. (I'm actually getting antsy sitting here in front of my computer...lol) Must....move....
    Just remember..BUTT + COUCH= LARGE *kitten*:laugh:

Gotta go move now! :smile:
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Love and let go of the past...live in THIS moment.

~
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    before you put something unhealthy in your mouth, even if it smells good and looks delicious, ask yourself, is it really worth it?

39174.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    The 90/10 rule. Eat the "right" things 90% of the time. And the naughtier things 10% of the time.

(If you try to totally deprive, you won't be able to stick with it.)

Oh, and make sure when you want a cookie, it's really a cookie you want (and not love, comfort, reward or anything else). . .
  • tesparza
    tesparza Posts: 3
    commit to a least 30 minutes of walking every single day no matter what , sometimes it changes my outlook on things and also I'm not so hungry anymore after my walk.
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    I think this is going to sound silly but what has helped me to become successful this time is that i have not anounced that i am changing my diet to everyone I know. I just did it.... and this way no one is involved, baking me cakes, making me spaghetti....offering to pick me up some McDonald's and bring it ito me while i am at work.!!! It never fails every time I anounce I am dieting all of a sudden everyone wants to feed me!!!:grumble:
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Always have hope that everything you've wanted for yourself will come true no matter how hard it is to see...
  • Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    It's ok to make mistakes. One bad day isn't gonna ruin everything. Just start again the next day :smile:

Amen!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    I think this is going to sound silly but what has helped me to become successful this time is that i have not anounced that i am changing my diet to everyone I know. I just did it.... and this way no one is involved, baking me cakes, making me spaghetti....offering to pick me up some McDonald's and bring it ito me while i am at work.!!! It never fails every time I anounce I am dieting all of a sudden everyone wants to feed me!!!:grumble:

Yes! My mother is the biggest offender off this! It's not like I'm starving myself, silly woman!! :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • Liana25
    Liana25 Posts: 31
    Spend at least a month tracking food and steps per day as well as writing down reasons for eating the food and fluctuations in energy level then work on the issues and make a plan that uses your strengths and lowers the risk of running into the triggers.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Learn to enjoy burning calories more than you enjoy consuming them.
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Get your *kitten* to the gym.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Do it for you.

:flowerforyou: