3500 cals =1lb so why a gain eating less than that?

Options
I know the mathematics of 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories. I don't quite understand how you can gain more than a lb a day when you eat well under 3500 calories total? I do understand about water weight and normal fluctuations such as not having regular BM and such-just wanting to hear (read) what others think about this or have experienced.

For instance, I am staying at 1800 calories per day the past week. Light exercise but don't 'eat back' anything. I'm morbidly obese so my bmr is much higher than 1800. In the past when I had lost right around 100 lbs I would have a high calorie day which seemed to help me drop weight again/faster after the first couple days of weight going up initially. Not really wanting to do this as I feel 1800 is high enough it should be keeping metabolism up and no need to have the higher cal days to 'bump' it so to speak.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi!

If you eat 3,500 over your TDEE you will gain weight. It does not happen overnight, so if that 3,500 over your TDEE is divided up over several days or weeks, you will eventually see the weight gain.

My guess is that you are not eating as few calories as you think you are. Do you weigh all your solids and measure your liquids? Are you logging everything you eat?

What about exercise? Do you log this? Where do you get your exercise estimates from?

You mention you don't want to eat more than 1800 calories. What is your base metabolic rate/ What is your TDEE? If you eat above your BMR and below your TDEE, all the while ensuring that your logging is accurate, you should lose weight.

Good luck!
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise, as I said I don't 'eat back' anything.

Yes everything is accounted for and logged daily, down to measuring condiments even. I pre plan my menu actually and check things off each day as its easier to stay on track and pre cook and portion certain things to save time. Also keep track of water intake (min 1 G per day)

And yes the point of my question is what others' experience with fluctuations in day to day weighing and also overall how weight can go up if eating well below BMR let alone the TDEE.

thanks
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If this is working for you, don't worry about what others are doing. I personally make sure to eat my estimated BMR on an average basis. It's incredibly important to me not to lose muscle mass along the way.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you understand water weight and normal fluctuation, why are you asking for an explanation of why one day's scale reading isn't a perfect reflection of the previous day's deficit? Water weight and normal fluctuation *is* the explanation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    As you said... water weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise, as I said I don't 'eat back' anything.

Yes everything is accounted for and logged daily, down to measuring condiments even. I pre plan my menu actually and check things off each day as its easier to stay on track and pre cook and portion certain things to save time. Also keep track of water intake (min 1 G per day)

And yes the point of my question is what others' experience with fluctuations in day to day weighing and also overall how weight can go up if eating well below BMR let alone the TDEE.

thanks

I misunderstood.

Yes, day to day fluctuations are normal.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    3500 calories over maintenance is roughly equal to a lb of stored fat. A gallon of water is equal to about 8 lbs of stored water. Both a pound of fat and a pound of water weigh a lb...

/thread
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I know the mathematics of 1 lb of fat is 3500 calories. I don't quite understand how you can gain more than a lb a day when you eat well under 3500 calories total?

Because your not gaining a lb of fat. What you weigh when you step on the scale has a bunch of factors.

As vismal stated, a gallon of water is roughly 8lbs. I personally drink enough water to equal 4-8lbs a day. If my body doesn't completely remove that water, I will see a gain on the scale.

I just stepped on the scale and I'm almost 1lb heavier than I was this morning. I haven't even had dinner yet.
  • DreamCatcherGirl
    DreamCatcherGirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was not able to see your diary. However I think that it's not only about how much calories you eat but where are the calories come from. You can eat 5 slices of pizza in a day and still stay under your calorie count or you can make more healthy choices such as fruits, veggie, whole grains, fiber and proteins. Also don't forget about the vitamins and minerals, they play a role in losing weight too.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was not able to see your diary. However I think that it's not only about how much calories you eat but where are the calories come from. You can eat 5 slices of pizza in a day and still stay under your calorie count or you can make more healthy choices such as fruits, veggie, whole grains, fiber and proteins. Also don't forget about the vitamins and minerals, they play a role in losing weight too.
    Eating your calories in pizza or "clean" foods won't make a difference in fat loss given the caloric value is the same. Eating that much pizza will probably make your sodium intake really high and can cause water weight gain and might make it difficult to meet your macro goals. I know that if I have more than one slice of pizza I have difficulty getting in enough protein without going over calories. But fat gain comes down to calories in/calories out--where those calories come from doesn't matter.
  • hortensehildegarde
    Options
    I would agree you don't need a "high calorie day" if you are eating at 1800 a day (or ever, really).

You might try setting your loss goal to something less aggressive for a bit though. What are you set at now- 2 lb per week? I know that is perfectly fine for your size but try maybe .5 or 1 lb loss goals for a week or 2 and see what happens? As you said you are eating under your BMR so you should be fine with a slightly higher intake.

Though really, that's just the thing I would suggest trying if you HAD to change something because of impatience or whatever. Your best bet (assuming you are correct that you are accurately logging as well as you say) is to keep at exactly what you are doing for a couple more weeks (or 4) and see what happens. I bet your average over time will not show any gain.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Try this.

weigh on scale.

Eat 1lb of broccoli (175 cals)

Weigh yourself again

See how you gained 1lb on the scale. That is definitely not fat gain.

So don't worry about the fluctuation. Track the averages over time. (as well as other non scale measures)
  • QuillensMom
    Options

I don't a food diary here/online, much easier for me to keep track with pen and paper as I pre plan my menu to make sure eating the right amounts of things and check them off. Overall for weight loss I think calories matter more than what type of food. That being said however I try to eat very healthy ( especially now as I'm pregnant). I eat lean protein, lots of veggies, and not much processed foods or anything high in sat fats other than a lean 85/15 burger. I also take vitamins daily.

While I mentioned the day to day, I was more looking for feedback on those who have stuck with it and still don't lose. 2-3 weeks and no loss, or a gain. I do eat below my BMR but assumed 1800 was high enough. I had planned to up calories this week to 2300 (again, pregnancy related) but with gaining at a lower amount it didn't make much sense as if I'm not losing fat then doesn't make sense to up my daily calories. My BMR is 2300 and TDEE is 2700 which I set at sedentary although I am pretty busy with my two kids so not sure that is accurate but just did it to get the low side.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

I don't a food diary here/online, much easier for me to keep track with pen and paper as I pre plan my menu to make sure eating the right amounts of things and check them off. Overall for weight loss I think calories matter more than what type of food. That being said however I try to eat very healthy ( especially now as I'm pregnant). I eat lean protein, lots of veggies, and not much processed foods or anything high in sat fats other than a lean 85/15 burger. I also take vitamins daily.

While I mentioned the day to day, I was more looking for feedback on those who have stuck with it and still don't lose. 2-3 weeks and no loss, or a gain. I do eat below my BMR but assumed 1800 was high enough. I had planned to up calories this week to 2300 (again, pregnancy related) but with gaining at a lower amount it didn't make much sense as if I'm not losing fat then doesn't make sense to up my daily calories. My BMR is 2300 and TDEE is 2700 which I set at sedentary although I am pretty busy with my two kids so not sure that is accurate but just did it to get the low side.

You should really try tracking your calories here because it's way easier than trying to do it 'old school'. The food database is friggin' huge. And then at least you can track your fat, protein, carbs, sodium, etc.

Overall weightloss is generally about calories, but if you're eating foods packed with sodium, the scale will not be so kind to you.

Have you lost any weight at all since you started? How often do you weigh yourself?
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    You're in your third trimester. You are supposed to be gaining weight.

Have you discussed your calories, weight goals, etc with your OBGYN and a dietician who specializes in pregnancy nutrition? I understand that when you are overweight, they usually don't want you to gain much during the first two trimesters, but you really should be gaining during the third. And probably not eating below your BMR. You need to discuss this with your doctor.

ETA: Your profile says you are due on Nov 7. You probably should have mentioned the pregnancy in your OP. It definitely changes the advice that you would be given by posters.
  • kikisian
    Options
    You mentioned that you were pregnant. As long as you eat healthier and keep to your 1800 the baby is going to help you loose your weight as well, though you may not notice it as quickly.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

It might have been helpful and I am sure that people's responses would have been different if you had of mentioned that you were pregnant in your OP.

While it is possible to lose weight while you are pregnant common sense will tell you that as you lose...hopefully the baby is gaining.

I think...best advice...talk to your doctor or a dietician about how much you should be eating. The BMR calculators don't usually work for those that are pregnant unless they specifically say so.

I doubt of a scale or even a tape measure will give an accurate reading as to if you are losing weight.

Talk to the OBY/GYN...
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I eat at a pretty small deficit-about 250 cals a day, give or take 50 or so.

So often I don't even see loss from week to week because of water fluctuations, bathroom timing, etc.

I try to look at my trend over 1 month or more. That is one reason I weigh daily and log the weight daily. That way on any given day I can look back 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 weeks, etc. and compare. Sounds obsessive, but it helps me see the big picture.

Plus, I can compare what I was eating to what happens weight-wise.
  • QuillensMom
    Options
    I eat at a pretty small deficit-about 250 cals a day, give or take 50 or so.

So often I don't even see loss from week to week because of water fluctuations, bathroom timing, etc.

I try to look at my trend over 1 month or more. That is one reason I weigh daily and log the weight daily. That way on any given day I can look back 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 6 weeks, etc. and compare. Sounds obsessive, but it helps me see the big picture.

Plus, I can compare what I was eating to what happens weight-wise.

I weigh daily as well and keep track in a notebook. I don't think its obsessive at all, and just part of daily routine.
  • QuillensMom
    Options

You should really try tracking your calories here because it's way easier than trying to do it 'old school'. The food database is friggin' huge. And then at least you can track your fat, protein, carbs, sodium, etc.

Overall weightloss is generally about calories, but if you're eating foods packed with sodium, the scale will not be so kind to you.

Have you lost any weight at all since you started? How often do you weigh yourself?

I also keep track of protein fat and carbs, that is what I meant about pre planning my menu/meal plan.

My weight ticket should be showing(?) and yes am down 57 lbs, weigh daily and have an 'official' weigh in day one per week as well. If you meant recently, yes I have lost just around 30 lbs since June.