Men, WTF!

Options
I just got finished watching THE EXPENDABLES (greatest movie ever) again and a thought occurred to me. What happened to all the real men of the world? Now I am NOT talking about orientation, so don't go there. I served in the Marine Corps for 10 years with Marines who were gay and it did't matter to us, so save the diatribe. I am talking about the M-E-N. The men who used to be in movies, that had training montages and you saw them get beat by the bad guy but they went and worked out and trained and got better and later overcame the bad guy. The guys who fought impossible odds and never gave up, and were still able to overcome any obstacle.

Nowadays its all velcro muscle suits and wire work and mutant powers. We have lost the Rocky Balboas the Conans, the John MaClaines, the Bruce Lees, the Jackie Chans, the Linda Hamiltons (Terminator 2), the Demi Moores (GI Jane) the Stephen Langs (Col. Quaritch, Avatar). I served in the Marine Corps with women who could easily kick the crap out of the average college graduate and not break a sweat.

During the movie I saw the guys I idolized as a kid, still doing the same stuff well past 50 years old. These guys have built there bodies to the point that they resist the aging process. I mean, Stallone is in his mid 60s for goodness sake! I watched that movie with new found confidence of what I am going to be like in my 60s and beyond.

So here is my question folks, when you see a movie like THE EXPENDABLES (cue rock guitar), how does it make you feel? Are you like me, in awe of what can be accomplished by the human body? Or, are you the one who snidely comments, "eww they must be on steroids, or eww muscles are ugly, or eww i dont want to be bulky, or eww it's to hard"?

Replies

• carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I can't wait to see this movie!! As a woman, my goal is to be KICK *kitten* like Alice in Resident evil!!! LOL
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Usually when I see someone who is really ripped, and its usually a guy, I am just amazed at how very much time they must devote to that. Personally my perfect guy would have too many other interests to maintain that look, be healthy but it just seems obsessive. I do get what you mean about the older movies though, those men, heros, its a different time now(SIGH).
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    love the workout montages that depict their body transformations. I would love to have a body like Demi's in either GI Jane or Striptease. She works hard and it shows.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    everytime I see my husband I hear the music that accompanies those montages. luckily i married one! and yeah, that is also one of the reasons I love Avatar.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I agree with you! There aren't a lot of those leading men anymore that I would 'swoon' over : (
  • bsshaw1
    bsshaw1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm with you!

When I was in high school/college, my heroes were Arnold, Frank Zane and Franco Columbo.

I, like you, wish I had stayed in the spectacular shape I was in back then, but I let stuff get in the way.

Now I'm fighting to get back where I was and I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago. I'm feeling stronger and better every day.

Here here to all the studs of days gone by and those who are still out there.

Semper Fi
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • addman72
    addman72 Posts: 220
    Options
    Watched that movie last night for the first time , was impressed with how Sly looked ( dolf looked good too ) , and was impressed a man of his age can have that kind of muscle bulk. When he ran it looked weird , old age does look like it was hitting him there.

It would be easier for these types of guys ( women too ) to be able to train and have all the assistance needed to get into shape.
    They dont live an everyday life.

But guys like that in movies are few and far . Guys from the wrestling and UFC are creeping into movies these days like Rampage , The Rock , Steve Austin etc They are the new breed of Rocky
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    I think it's amazing that Steve Austin put Stallone in the hospital with a broken neck and he still finishes directing and filming. When I see those guys and the work they put in. I saw how the work that Stallone has put in for that and for several of his other movies and he's a ****ing BEAST! I love that ****. Did you know that everyone in the film did their own stunts? Did you know that during the filming of Rocky IV, Stallone told Dolph to punch him as hard as he could and that Dolph broke his ribs and he was hospitalised during filming? Like I said before BEAST!
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Stallone killed it in the new Rambo (plus Stallone having a semantics argument is priceless). Makes me wish I could afford HGH. That is not an insult nor does it lessen any of the hard work he has obviously put in.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I love all those guys - I think nowadays we're all a bit politically correct and *****foot around when we could be kicking *kitten*.
    Stallone, Dolph, Mickey Rourke - those guys all kick it - and it has to be said I have a real soft spot for Clint Eastwood.
    I think guys like Jason Statham in the Transporter movies & Gerard Butler (where have you been all my life?) in 300, are worthy contenders to the Crown.
    Steve Austin is a bit too soft and polite for my liking. I've met The Rock and he was bloomin' gorgeous in real life yum tee yum yum! I also love the guy who plays the Mummy in the Mummy movies. (the modern ones, not the Boris Karloff's :laugh: )
    Anyhow, I digress. My point was that I think people get sick of having things all smoothed out for them and being talked down to "the moral of the story is kids....". Sometimes it's good to take your brain out, leave it at the door and just watch some good, old fashioned kick butt.
    I'd take one of those guys (yes please) any day over yer Jude Laws and Brad Pitts. (Although Brad's missus is f i n e, and also kicks butt.)
  • BigGail
    Options
    Apparently I'm not allowed to say pu$$y
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I love all those guys - I think nowadays we're all a bit politically correct and *****foot around when we could be kicking *kitten*.
    Stallone, Dolph, Mickey Rourke - those guys all kick it - and it has to be said I have a real soft spot for Clint Eastwood.
    I think guys like Jason Statham in the Transporter movies & Gerard Butler (where have you been all my life?) in 300, are worthy contenders to the Crown.

I absolutely agree.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    I can't wait to see this movie!! As a woman, my goal is to be KICK *kitten* like Alice in Resident evil!!! LOL

Alice rocks! Another good movie heroine!
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    Man, I'm with you!

When I was in high school/college, my heroes were Arnold, Frank Zane and Franco Columbo.

I, like you, wish I had stayed in the spectacular shape I was in back then, but I let stuff get in the way.

Now I'm fighting to get back where I was and I'm kicking myself for not doing it a long time ago. I'm feeling stronger and better every day.

Here here to all the studs of days gone by and those who are still out there.

Semper Fi

Just making the decision to be better puts you head and shoulders above the average Joes. Keep fighting. Don't quit.
  • exercisesucks
    Options
    So many views.....so few responses....hmmmmm
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. I think the problem is that instead of promoting how healthy and awesome these more mature and more buff actors are, the media is hyping the little boys, or at least the "men" who look like little boys. I keep wondering when vampires started sparkling, personally. I prefer a man to look like a man. And if he can squat more then I can, all the better. :laugh:

As for the comment about Steve Austin being too polite, I had to laugh. I actually knew Steve forever and a decade ago when I was in the wrestling business. He was best friends with my sons father. He's actually not as nice as he portrays himself in public. Thats part of why when I lost touch after breaking up with Brian that I never bothered to maintain contact with him or a few of the other guys. Dwayne, on the other hand, was a sweet as they come. He is one day older then me. Talk about some interesting birthday parties! I don't think I miss my wrestling days so much as I miss the parties. :drinker:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%. I think the problem is that instead of promoting how healthy and awesome these more mature and more buff actors are, the media is hyping the little boys, or at least the "men" who look like little boys. I keep wondering when vampires started sparkling, personally. I prefer a man to look like a man. And if he can squat more then I can, all the better. :laugh:

As for the comment about Steve Austin being too polite, I had to laugh. I actually knew Steve forever and a decade ago when I was in the wrestling business. He was best friends with my sons father. He's actually not as nice as he portrays himself in public. Thats part of why when I lost touch after breaking up with Brian that I never bothered to maintain contact with him or a few of the other guys. Dwayne, on the other hand, was a sweet as they come. He is one day older then me. Talk about some interesting birthday parties! I don't think I miss my wrestling days so much as I miss the parties. :drinker:

I agree on both points. :flowerforyou:

It has always irritated me that vampires are being reduced to high school age sissy boys that fall in love and sparkle when they are supposed to be undead men that are so gorgeously built that they attract all the women making them easy prey since vampires are evil killing monsters...but I digress.

And I, too, was a little confused as to the Stone Cold too nice comment. I may not have worked with him like you did, but just being around him and knowing how he is made me giggle a little there.

But back to the O/P's comments, I totally agree with you!!! I have been so annoyed with Hollywood putting out all this crap where the "hero" is someone who couldn't even possibly exist like a superhero or something, and they have gone away from real butt-kickin' men and women that they used to tell stories about. I really resent looking at movies where all the women are frail little stick figures who can't protect themselves, and the men who look like a strong breeze could blow them over....only to hear all about on the news and through word of mouth that all the girls are swooning over these little boys that are the same age as men because of their cute little baby faces and the men are drooling over these women that I could break by pushing hard in the line at the bank.

And I absolutely love that movie and me and my fiance got it for Christmas. I love watching movies with kick butt people who keep their bodies in shape because it motivates me to train harder to reach my goals! Even when the actress in Double Jeopardy started working out in prison to get stronger and leaner so she could make right when she got out...even that was enough to motivate me to get up and move! I wish they would go back to making more movies like Die Hard...but alas, we are stuck with cheesy love stories, unreal superhero movies, and Yogi Bear.
  • blazin_j
    Options
    Don't forget about Bruce Willis... A calm, cool, collected brother! But yeah, as a former 82nd Airborne Paratrooper, I hear ya. Like Gov Ed Rendell of PA said last week, we've become a nation of woosies. We've lost our sense of personal responsibility and expect everything to be handed to us rather than working hard and getting your own.
  • BigGail
    Options
    Just to clarify - I mean Steve Austin's characters in the movies are a bit too polite - not him personally.
    As for wrestlers, I used to like Sting! Don't know if he's still kicking about or not.