Taking action!!

Options
Not too sure what I am supposed to write in this "Introduce Yourself" but I will have a go at the basics.

I am looking to lose 25lbs as I have worked my way up to being quite overweight for my height. Although I am not exactly fit and healthy, I know I am physically able to work out and as a big lover of good food and cooking so that side of things shouldn't be too much of a challenge.

I know this will not be an overnight process, but my first goal is to lose some weight before I go on holiday in one month time.

The advice I need is -

Target weight loss in the one month time, as well as how long it will take me to lose the 25lbs.
What's the best way to lose fat, mainly stomach and thighs.
Are there things in my diet I should be cutting out completely?

If anyone could help me out, it would be much appreciated as I know this has to happen now before I lose confidence in myself and give up.

Thank you!!! :)

Replies

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am new too so I don't have much advice. I don't think there is any way to spot reduce but if you work those muscle groups you can tone up your stomach and thighs. I am not cutting anything completely out of my diet. good luck!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the answers, too
  • racronan
    Options
    Hello :).

I'm new to these boards as well. You need to run a weekly calorie deficit of 3500 calories to drop 1lb. Most people suggest aiming for a weight loss of 1-2lbs a week. At that rate it would take you anywhere from 25 weeks to 13 to drop the 25lbs you're hoping for.

As far as spot toning, this is really hard to do-actually impossible with just diet. You have to exercise. I would suggest something like pilates for the tummy area as this is known to really work on building up your core strength.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    WIth a goal of 25 pounds to lose you should be aiming for a loss of 1 pound per week. Here is a great site that can tell you how many calories a day you should be getting: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ At a pound per week it will take you 25 weeks to take all 25 pounds off (approximately) the closer you get to your goal the slower the weight will come off.

You cannot target specific areas using diet only, you need to exercise. Walking or jogging will help tone the muscles in your thighs. As for the stomach, crunches, crunches and more crunches. You will also need to do Cardio to burn the fat as well (walking or jogging will help with this as well). There are no shortcuts when it comes to toning up.

As for cutting foods out, I am not a believer in doing that. The key is portion control, and taking in LESS calories than you burn.