Am I Doing Enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    what results are you trying to see - increased fitness, weight loss or improved muscularity?

you don't mention how much protein is in the protein powder nor how much you are using as a serving. and that brings us back to getting a food scale. i use 2 kinds of whey protein powder, and while the container on one says a scoop is a serving of 33 grams, when i weighed a scoop, it wasn't even close to a full serving. the other is closer, but still not a full serving.

i keep reading on packages things like 12 asparagus stalks is a serving of 85 grams, yet 12 stalks is only 45 grams or can be as much as 105 grams depending on the stalks. or these chips i buy that say that 12 chips is an ounce, but it never is. and that's why i weigh rather than measure or count my food. i need to eat less than i burn to lose weight, but i need enough protein and calories for health, and it's easy to seriously over or undereat without weighing. undereating is something a lot of people who want to lose weight tend to do at first, but if you do you'll lose muscle, and that not only means your body will burn less calories but can be a health problem, as well.

btw, i'm a vegetarian, and there are lots of vegetarians on this board.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound harsh, but I looked at your food diary and yesterday you went over your calories by over 1800. You're certainly not going to lose weight going over by that much.

Definitly get a food scale, and use it for everything.
  • Journey0912
    Journey0912 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Usually I plug in the food(s) I'm thinking about eating just to see where my numbers are. Believe me, I've had so make some adjustments. If I see that a certain food is going to put me over my recommended allotment, I make another choice. Sometimes it means re-evaluating ,y emotions, asking myself if I'm truly hungry or if I just want to eat. I talk to myself alot! (LOL)

I am a vegan. The recommendation for protein for me on MFP is 60 g. I will most likely never hit that mark. However, it has been stated (in many arenas) that even the USRDA is way too high. I have my blood work run every 3 - 6 months and no deficiencies so I don't worry too much about that. I do the usual beans, legumes, nuts, nut butters and seeds, along with (only from time to time) Vega One protein powder usually in a berry smoothie or milkshake (made with unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk yogurt, or sometimes So Delicious coconut milk frozen dessert (ice cream) if I'm being really naughty - Ha !Ha!).

According to my MFP numbers I more often than not, do not consume enough calories. I've made a conscious effort to rectify this but I still try not to go too far over my recommendations. Some days are better then others.

My issue is exercise. I work a desk job 8-9 hours a day just the same as you. I've been getting up at 4:45AM, three - four days a week to fit in a little elliptical stationary bike riding and some other exercises before I head to work. One of my goals is to try to put in another session of exercise after my work day several times a week as well. Bad habits are hard to kick. I haven't made it a priority in my life to take care of ME because I was always taking care of everyone else. I'm learning to treat myself as an important priority.

Small, consistent changes will help change past bad habits and keep you headed in the right direction! Good Luck!