How to choose a foam roller?

Options
I need a foam roller. I started running and have read about all the benefits. I've tried googling tips on which ones to pick, and so far all I've figured out is not to buy the really cheap ones because they'll lose their shape, but that some other ones are more than I really need.
Any tips? Preferences from your experiences?

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Get a black one. They are studied than he other colours. They also hurt more, which means it's getting in deeper.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    i bought the cheapest... probably should have gotten a better one. I get better results using a rolling pin to be honest. google the stick... same idea as the rolling pin.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got a white one from my Chiropractor. Spent about $30 on it. I figured at that price it wasn't a huge hit. So far its holding its shape and does what it needs to do. It might not be a bad idea to get one of the softer one's until you get used to working with it. I absolutely did not like the nubby one's!
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I got this one: http://www.target.com/p/gaiam-restore-textured-foam-roller-12/-/A-14071609#prodSlot=medium_1_5&term=foam+roller and I love it. It is firm and textured enough to get into the muscle but not too firm. I tried some others first (on the floor in the store to the humiliation of my children lol) and the very firm ones were a little much for me. I've had this one a little over a year, use it regularly and it is holding up well.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I think an internet service such as Amazon might help, but definitely take it out for drinks a few times. Once you unwrap it and give it a thorough up and down, get down and dirty on the floor with it in numerous positions and make sure it's hard enough and can keep up.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Baseball against the wall works nicely for spot aches in my back. So once your done checking the hardness of your new friend, make sure to pair it with a couple of sturdy balls.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You don't pick a foam roller - the foam roller picks you
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Depends how tense you are. l started with the black smooth. But need the rumble roller for Calves and glutes already. I saw Casall recently selling a short orange with both knots and sleek surface, would possibly save you money buying two. I have two long easier to roll on, but cost more. Def not go for cheapest options. The roller is supposed to be able to handle almost your entire bodyweight. Cheap materials will probably soften/get damaged sooner.

I also use tennis and other balls lying on the back and butt. Possibly the cheapest massage I ever bought!
    I can't recommend foamrolling enough.
    It's very painful at start, but I get a lot of beta endorphins too, so it's all gooood:D

Indeed I even rolled an old damage on my left quad so much the dent is smaller.

Lots of vids on YouTube on how to roll. Recommend dr Peter Percuco and dr mark Cheng.
    Enjoy!