My problem..

Options
Is sugar and sodium. They are just too comforting. How do I kick the habit?
I haven't had soda in my household for a couple of weeks now but I just replaced it by getting bottle tea drinks. I don't feel like I am making the situation any better.
=/
I need some support..

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling water. Has the fizz without the nasty diet soda aftertaste.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Try sparkling water. Has the fizz without the nasty diet soda aftertaste.

^ This is what I do too. You can also add a little squirt of lemon or lime juice to it as well if you want a bit of flavour for almost no calories.
  • crystallynnl
    crystallynnl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Is the sparkling water from Walmart o.k or store brands? I do like lemon water. Also I make sure to bring bottle water with me to work.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I see that you posted this in weight loss help. I feel it's necessary to point out that sugar and salt don't have a *direct* impact on weight, so if weight loss is your primary goal, your main focus should be calories. That said, recent studies have been showing that excessive sugar consumption contributes to many health issues, including obesity, so it is a good idea to reduce your sugar intake. Also, you will be able to use your calories to eat more filling and nutritious foods! I recommend going through the foods you normally eat and seeing if there are alternatives with less or no sugar. I've found that the fooducate app is helpful for this. As far as sodium is concerned, it shouldn't have an impact on weight, but it's a good idea to limit it for other health concerns. Also, you may retain more water and become bloated with too much sodium, which could lead to the scale showing a gain/no loss when you've maintained/lost. To limit sodium, you should also read nutrition labels and find lower- or no-sodium alternatives. Reducing your overall intake of processed foods and eating out less will reduce the amount of sodium (and sugar) you consume.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Is the sparkling water from Walmart o.k or store brands? I do like lemon water. Also I make sure to bring bottle water with me to work.

I have a soda stream maker.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I live on sparkling water with a squirt of lemon or lime juice. It's so refreshing and scratches that "fizzy drink" itch. I have a Soda Stream maker now, but used to just buy the bottles of club soda.
  • crystallynnl
    Options
    I see that you posted this in weight loss help. I feel it's necessary to point out that sugar and salt don't have a *direct* impact on weight, so if weight loss is your primary goal, your main focus should be calories. That said, recent studies have been showing that excessive sugar consumption contributes to many health issues, including obesity, so it is a good idea to reduce your sugar intake. Also, you will be able to use your calories to eat more filling and nutritious foods! I recommend going through the foods you normally eat and seeing if there are alternatives with less or no sugar. I've found that the fooducate app is helpful for this. As far as sodium is concerned, it shouldn't have an impact on weight, but it's a good idea to limit it for other health concerns. Also, you may retain more water and become bloated with too much sodium, which could lead to the scale showing a gain/no loss when you've maintained/lost. To limit sodium, you should also read nutrition labels and find lower- or no-sodium alternatives. Reducing your overall intake of processed foods and eating out less will reduce the amount of sodium (and sugar) you consume.
    I should probably define myself as obese right now. I just feel like I have over consumed in the past and still am of the sodium/salt.. I know I need to start exercising so I don't have to keep buying fat pants. It makes me feel like a failure at 22..I am the heaviest I have been.
    I am afraid of joining the gym and not affording it. Then not having time with my two jobs. I feel like I am making excuses for myself instead of answers..
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Try to think of what you can do, rather than your restrictions. For instance, can you go for a brisk walk? No need for a gym membership for that and you can start with whatever length of time best fits your schedule

And personally, I favor diet soda
  • Weightlosstips
    Weightlosstips Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Your quest for more healthy alternatives is commendable. Whatever you do try to stay away from Diet Drinks and food for that matter. Go for natural (real) food including fruits and vegies.
    Diet drinks especially all contain artificial synthetic ingredients/chemicals and have no nutritional value. eg Aspartame that is 180-200 times sweeter that sugar but is a known neurotoxin and reputed to be carcinogenic & linked to Alzheimers disease.
    eg. Phosphoric Acid (present in sodas) that depletes the body of calcium
    eg. Potassium benzoate can form the known carcinogen benzene when combined with vitamin C and sodium
    The list continues, but you get the picture.
    Hopefully you are equipped to make the right decisions for your health.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I am afraid of joining the gym and not affording it. Then not having time with my two jobs. I feel like I am making excuses for myself instead of answers..

Bingo! No more excuses. Starting now.

Check out gyms in your area and find one that fits your budget and needs. I went with Planet Fitness because it has plenty of nice equipment, 24 hours a day, no contract and $10 a month. Every gym is different and you need to find the right fit for your situation. Make it a priority to interview gyms during your limited spare time (I work 60 hours a week so I get it when you have two jobs--it isn't easy.)

I got off of diet soda right away and that seemed to help lower my cravings for food. I drink unsweetened tea, Vitamin Water and ice water now.

Making your own foods from scratch lets you control the quality and ingredients. I highly recommend trying to eat fewer and fewer things from a box or can and more things fresh from the garden, meat case or dairy aisle. I'm in no way a "clean" eater but I do think simple and fresh when it comes to as many foods as possible in my diet.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Your quest for more healthy alternatives is commendable. Whatever you do try to stay away from Diet Drinks and food for that matter. Go for natural (real) food including fruits and vegies.
    Diet drinks especially all contain artificial synthetic ingredients/chemicals and have no nutritional value. eg Aspartame that is 180-200 times sweeter that sugar but is a known neurotoxin and reputed to be carcinogenic & linked to Alzheimers disease.
    eg. Potassium benzoate can form the known carcinogen benzene when combined with vitamin C and sodium

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

So... much... wrong...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I like water. If I'm feeling like pampering, some lemon is great. If I'm feeling extravagant, lemon and lime slices. Usually, plain old water. I used to drink diet pop all the time. I feel so much better with the water. :) I no longer miss the pop.

If you want to eat healthier, buy healthier food and eat it. That's easy. Exercise, after working two jobs...can't help there. But you can dance and do crunches and squats and all manner of things at home. You don't need to join a gym or pay anyone any money to lose weight. It can be done without spending anything. :) You'll have to find the time. If you really want to do it, you'll find the time.

Good luck!
  • crystallynnl
    Options

Bingo! No more excuses. Starting now.

Check out gyms in your area and find one that fits your budget and needs. I went with Planet Fitness because it has plenty of nice equipment, 24 hours a day, no contract and $10 a month. Every gym is different and you need to find the right fit for your situation. Make it a priority to interview gyms during your limited spare time (I work 60 hours a week so I get it when you have two jobs--it isn't easy.)

I got off of diet soda right away and that seemed to help lower my cravings for food. I drink unsweetened tea, Vitamin Water and ice water now.

Making your own foods from scratch lets you control the quality and ingredients. I highly recommend trying to eat fewer and fewer things from a box or can and more things fresh from the garden, meat case or dairy aisle. I'm in no way a "clean" eater but I do think simple and fresh when it comes to as many foods as possible in my diet.
    I have a Planet fitness 2 miles of my apartment then one close to my full-time 2nd shift job.. I am just afraid of the "hidden fees" at Planet Fitness if there is any. I know there's the yearly cost. Other than that is it a good place to join? How long have you been a memeber at Planet Fitness?
    Well I brought 3 bottles of water to work with me today and just two bottles of tea.. I should just limit myself 1 "cheat" drink a day. And the rest water I suppose.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Dosage in anything matters and the amount used in any diet drink is WELL BELOW what would make it toxic. Also what actual evidence is there that's PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDY?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Good read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary?hl=aspartame+peer+reviewed+clinical+studies&page=1

IDEA Fitness member
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Is sugar and sodium. They are just too comforting. How do I kick the habit?
    I haven't had soda in my household for a couple of weeks now but I just replaced it by getting bottle tea drinks. I don't feel like I am making the situation any better.
    =/
    I need some support..

I stopped drinking soda and started drinking a lot of water with lemon, water with Mio/Dasani/whatever brand you choose (there are so many flavors). I carry one in my purse all the time and add it to my water when I go to a restaurant or a bar too. Remember, it's a good idea to keep sodium and sugar to healthy levels, but neither one is 'the devil" to be avoided completely. They're okay at normal levels. Don't think of it as something to avoid altogether, just something to keep at a manageable level.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Fearmongering. You should stop doing that.