New here for the new year

Options
Hi everyone! I am a single mom with 3 wonderful kids. I'm one of the lucky ones (haha) that gains weight with stress. When I got pregnant with my first baby, I weighed 104lbs. At the end of the pregnancy I was 175! He was born with a congenital heart defect and had 3 heart surgeries and a spinal fusion by 5 years old. Talk about stress! He's 9 now and super healthy and constantly concerned about eating healthy to keep his heart well. My wonderful daughter is 7 and has celiac disease, adhd, and dyslexia. More stress...and healthy eating with all the gluten free food. My youngest boy is 4 and has a hearing problem and speech problem...and is completely fearless! He was jumping off the top bunk at 3 years old! More stress. Then my recent (May) seperation from a verbally abusive husband. Stress stress stress. I have yo-yo'd with my weight for several years but have finally decided it's a problem although my dr says I'm "fit fat" because my blood pressure and cholesterol and all that fun stuff are great. My sister posted a pic of me on facebook recently and I didn't recognize myself! I can't believe i've gotten that big! I'm hoping I can get alot of moral support here. I get alot at home already. My son helped my mother-in-law lose 100lbs over a year and a half and now he is being my drill sergeant and encouraging me to run and walk every day. I'm only 5'2" and at my heaviest was 183lbs a year ago. I am now 174lbs and stuck!

Replies

• angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    welcome, feel free to send me a friend request if you need support. This site is great!
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    Welcome!!! Sounds like you have your hands full...congrats to you for being a single mom!! I was raised by a single mom and have much respect for you.
    please feel free to add me, would love to lend some support!!!

Happy New Year!!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you've traveled a difficult road! This site is VERY supportive. It is an awesome tool in the quest of losing weight. You're going to do great!

Laura :)
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm new too but have found everyone to be very nice and supportive! I just sent you a friend request :happy:
  • borgi77
    borgi77 Posts: 61
    Options
    Good Luck, MFP is awesome , it has helped so many people and it is all free! I have list 66 pounds since End of May 2010 and still losing.

My tips would be
    Try and do at least 30 minutes a day of exercise I know it's hard but that really is all it takes

Log everything even if you have a bad day, I log even if I am over my calorie limit by more than 3000! Which happened over Christmas, as it lets you look for any trends, patterns.

Use the food diary and exercise notes as it also helps you look for patterns etc

Finally start today, don't start tomorrow as tomorrow never comes, and move forward do not beat yourself up about the past or if you have a bad day start fresh. We all have bad days but using this site is such a great tool! Also get any family friends on board too!
  • sweetiekayk
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome! I have a feeling this is going to be the year I finally take control and acheive my goals. Not just weight, but everything else. I work at home at my computer so I'm almost always free if anyone wants to chat.
  • isislc
    isislc Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome and sorry to hear of all the challenges with your little ones. I'm prone to being a stress eater also and wish I only had what you're trying to lose. Well, better late than never I say! There is a pretty good support group here but the hard part is making the change and sticking with it. I've fallen off the wagon a few times when I get busy but you just get back up here.