Is snacking really needed?

Options
Should I have a snack in between meals or not? I know some people say you need to eat every three hours to keep the body going, etc etc...... However, if I am not hungry do I really HAVE to have a snack or will I still loose if I just eat my 3 meals a day?

Replies

• BooAndKitty
    Options
    Calories in vs Calories out - I personally don't think it matters when you eat or how much you eat, as long as you're eating at a calorie deficiency.
  • sunnydaysagainz
    Options
    Hi, I don't think that snacking is necessary if you are not hungry or have no cravings! If you just eat 3 meals a day, you will lose even faster!!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The key is to stay within your calorie goal. Meal/ snack timing is irrelevant. If you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's entirely up to. As long as you're hitting your calorie goal there's no reason to worry. :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't think that snacking is necessary if you are not hungry or have no cravings! If you just eat 3 meals a day, you will lose even faster!!
    If you have the same amount of calories with snacks as without it will make absolutely no difference to your rate of loss
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Everyone does not enjoy snacking but I do. If its not for you then do what is right for your goals. There is no rule that says you have to snack. I do it because I love snacks. Some people do it because if they only eat "clean food" its harder for them to hit their calories, other do it because they are tasty at the end of the day like everyone said do what works for you! Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No, snacking is not necessary. Set up your meal timing so that it gives you the best adherence.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    As above^^^^^^^^^^ it all depends on the person. If you eat enough at meals, snacking will probably not be necessary. I eat smaller meals and prefer a snack, because I just feel better. It might also have to do with how much you have to lose. I'm close to goal, have fewer calories, and so get hungry. As long as you hit your calorie goal, do what makes you happy. Best :smile:
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks everyone :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Should I have a snack in between meals or not? I know some people say you need to eat every three hours to keep the body going, etc etc...... However, if I am not hungry do I really HAVE to have a snack or will I still loose if I just eat my 3 meals a day?

eat when you're hungry...

personally my day is breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, pre workout snack, dinner... but thats when i am at work, on a weekend i usually just have 3 meals.

as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight, whether you have one meal a day or 20... just do what works for you.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    If you need a snack work them in your calories. Personally I need them before bed. I don't think it matters when you eat them.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    No, snacking is not necessary. Set up your meal timing so that it gives you the best adherence.

^this :D
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I snack because I'm hungry approximately 2 hours after my meals :/
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    No you don't have to snack. In fact, if you prefer not to snack, this is probably the best method for you. I snack because it is a preference. We are more likely to be successful is we eat in a way that is most enjoyable to us. So, don't snack!
  • jamesheller123
    Options
    Snacking in every 3 or 4 hours is not necessary but if you want to eat in every 3 hours then eat healthy food like fruits, salads, vegetables etc. Try something new for your snacks at innerfight.com/food.
  • baubisson
    baubisson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has been deemed overrated by most places I've read. Honestly, on my low calorie days I just suck it up when it comes to the hunger.
  • ingehooper
    ingehooper Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have a snack at around 8pm when I get the biggest snack cravings. It saves me from binge eating junk so thats good. I usually eat at 12,4,7pm then finish by 8pm. Its a good schedule for me and means I get 2 big meals and 2 smaller meals/snacks a day and I feel like its the best schedule for me and my being a stay at home mum and exercising 5 days a week. If you feel you are hungry then snack, if not then dont x