Advice on 10 days rest before a 10k

Options
Sorry if this has been done before, I had a little browse first,

I started running at the end of last year and worked my way up to 5k which I did in June twice.

Through July and august I was training for an open water swim so did short runs every now and again.

I decided to go for a 10k late September giving me late august and all of September to build up to 10k from 5k.

I'm happy now that I can jog about 7.5k without stopping and jog about 3 times a week.

My plan was to do as close to 10k as i could yesterday to get to know the distance, I'm not super competitive and don't mind having to stop and walk just wanted a feel for it.

However I've come down with a cough and cold over the weekend and whilst I feel okay in myself I don't think it's the best idea to run, I'd rather just give myself the best chance of recovery for my 10k on Sunday,

My last run was 7.5k done last Wednesday and I wanted to leave a few days for me to recover before Sunday which would make my final run this Wednesday but I can't see myself being fully recovered for then . If I don't run Wednesday I'll have had 10 rest days before the run.

Is 10 days rest going to kill me on race day?
Is it best to fully recover before the race?
Could I try running a mile or 2 with a cold?

Anyone any experience or advice with this?

Replies

• Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on getting this far with the running! :smile:

In my experience, you are better off resting. 10 days or so will only make a marginal difference on race day, but still having a lingering cold when you've overdone it will make you feel really bad. Even though you haven't run the full distance, you will find that the adrenaline of the day will push you through those last couple of miles.

Good luck!!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Take the rest days. You aren't going to lose the ability to run whilst resting, and you will do yourself the world of good by allowing that cold to go away. I didn't take my own advice recently and tried to run a race with a heavy cold - last place was mine, and I've probably extended the life of the cold by another week.
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ahh thanks for the reassurance,

I just worry that my legs will turn to jelly on the day if I leave it more than a few days!

That's really helped, think I'll rest up and look forward to the big day :) x
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10k yesterday the furthest I had run prior to the race was 8k so similar to you it was the week before. You will be fine for your race I only did one 3k run in the week before and a long walk.

I found between 6k and 7.5k the killer bit I thought I couldn't go any further but then after that I was fine.

Good luck.
  • annie_e12
    annie_e12 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I would just go by feel each day in the days leading up to the race. Sometimes I feel better when I can run a few easy miles each day to keep myself loose, but if you feel run down or weak, I'd rest. And it's fine to run with a cold, as long as it is in your head and not your chest.
  • rosie291289
    rosie291289 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ah thankyou Annie, I'll see how I feel, my cough is quite dry and chesty and tickly so don't want to push it. I think that's worrying me more than the cold trying to fight off both of them! X

Well done on your run Aneary, I find the first 5k the hardest once I get there I can keep up my pace! The thing is the route I do now is uphill 10 mins at the start, flat most of the way then downhill the end 10 mins so worried how I'll keep up momentum if it's uphill towards the end! X
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Ahh see I signed up for a flat race and my training was mainly flat expect for a few hills on a couple of my bigger runs, first 5k and first 6k.

I'm looking to do a half marathon in March next year and that is really hilly so I will have to fine some hills near me to run up!
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    At a minimum I would at least go out for a walk. I am training for marathon and the number 1 thing I keep reading is that a taper period doesn't equal sitting on your butt and doing nothing. Still gotta move somewhat. I would rest for a couple days and try to move at least once before race day.