Feel like giving up

Options
Not over eating. Counting every calorie I put in my mouth. working out 6 days a week, for 1.5 to 2 hours. burning and avg. of 600 to 900 calories each workout(per polar H/R monitor) . And not losing a pound nor inch!
Never been like this, I've always lost at least 2 pounds a week when not cheating. I don't understand how its possible to maintain a calorie deficit and not lose weight. Just doesn't make logical sense to me. How long can my body maintain a calorie deficit before it has to start losing?
And as far as how much I'm eating goes, I try to hit at least 1000 calories, some days I'm able to get more, some less.
I'm not hungry or tired. And I'm eating the amount recommended by my doctor (800-1000)

Replies

• JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    So you're eating 800-1000 calories and burning 600-900...

:noway:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this... i'd get another doctor if thats what they recommended doing...
  • amandabaskins
    amandabaskins Posts: 12 Member
    Options

this... i'd get another doctor if thats what they recommended doing...

She recommended the amount consumed, and to exercise. I just enjoy spending time in the gym working out, so that's the burn I get.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    For one thing, your sodium is really high. Secondly, you definitely aren't eating enough to fuel your body. You should be eating at least half or of your exercise calories.

Are you measuring and/or weighing everything? If you are just eyeing it, you could be off.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    that amount might be fine if you just sat on the couch all day but seriously? that's why. you're eating enough to sustain life, and then burning it all off. it's great that you enjoy activity-keep doing it. but feed yourself. unless your doc has some sound nutrition background (and isn't one of those weight loss clinic quacks) you're not eating enough.

and don't give the "I'm not hungry" thing. :) eat anyway.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    You are supposedly ingesting 1000 calories and burning 900 - you are saying you live on 100 calories a day?
    Give up, really - it is healthier or else have a word with your doctor.... is he actually aware of what you burn?
  • Tammy_1971
    Tammy_1971 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The minimum calorie intake for a woman is 1200 calories. You need to eat!!
  • JSE81
    JSE81 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'll be the jerk here then. You're overestimating calories burnt and under estimating calories eaten.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    you eat a lot of foods high in sodium which will retain water and hinder weight loss.

Sodium mask weight loss, it does not hinder it.

OP, Go see a nutritionist, you have no idea what you are doing.
  • amandabaskins
    Options
    Are you measuring and/or weighing everything? If you are just eyeing it, you could be off. From what I see, you eat a lot of foods high in sodium which will retain water and hinder weight loss.

I weigh everything. And I' know I'm not retaining water, because I take blood pressure medicine that is also a fluid pill.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    My weight didn't drop for a long while until I raised my calories to an amount that healthy for my body. I can almost guarantee you are eating too little, even without knowing your stats.

There is a group here, called 'Eat more to weigh less' as well as a bunch stories of men and women who raised their calories and the weight loss began :smile:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    If you are on blood pressure medicine, you really should be watching your sodium intake.
  • amandabaskins
    Options
    I'll be the jerk here then. You're overestimating calories burnt and under estimating calories eaten.

That's what I assumed also, but I weigh ALL my food. And the polar heart rate monitor is supposed to be very accurate.
    So, not sure how I can really be that far off.
  • DianeFrannie
    Options
    you are really trying too hard right now. create a menu for yourself for 1200 calories, and read your packaging if you like convenient foods over fresh, Wow the salt girl, way over. That will not only retain water, it's going to cause health problems down the road. If you like fish, I am going to suggest fresh salmon, you season as you like. I'm new to grilling but here to tell you grilled salmon is great. I do several pieces and freeze part of them. 6 days at the gym is a whole bunch. 3 would do and walk some of the other days. treat yourself to fresh meat, fruit and veggies that you really like. doesn't matter if you eat the same ones often. Relax and enjoy yourself. You are so committed that you can/will do this. keep looking for menus that you like. See you fit and thin soon.:smile:
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the typical thing you need is just too eat more.

I have been losing weight on 1200-1500 calories a day for the last 9 months.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Does your doctor know you're that active? How long ago did they give you that calorie limit? I ask that 2nd one becuase according to your ticker, you started out needing to lose a lot but it's pretty unrealistic to expect a 2 pound per week loss when yuo get closer to goal. I honestly have no idea how you can get through your workouts eating so little...I'd pass out!
  • Muffie22
    Muffie22 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    800-1000 a day?! sorry but your doctor is a moron.
  • p_emmel5
    p_emmel5 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor versed in nutrition? Many people (doctors, dietitians, people on forums etc...) seem to give by the book advice without adjusting for the patient's/ customer's specific requirements. Where are you measuring? If you aren't measuring a range of locations you might be missing locations where muscle is sneaking up on you :wink:

Personal opinion: body fat % is more indictative of overall results than inches/ pounds. Right now I am gaining weight but maintaining my BF%. If I were only measuring my belly I would think I was stuck in a rut. You might be in the same boat. Think about going to a nutritionist to get a plan designed specifically for you. Plus most of them have a scale that will tell you your BF%, viseral fat and a couple of other cool things.

Keep on the exercise / diet path and eventually good things will happen. We all hit the no progress wall once in a while :sad:
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

That's what I assumed also, but I weigh ALL my food. And the polar heart rate monitor is supposed to be very accurate.
    So, not sure how I can really be that far off.

Something is off, that is for sure. You're either not counting all your food or you are overcounting your exercise.
  • squatsanddeadlift
    squatsanddeadlift Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Why do american doctos suggest women eat 800-1000 calories? - its like most forum posts are about american doctors suggesting a stupidly low amount..
    Probably not just american doctors but whenever I speak to my doctor he points me towards 2000