corset waist trainer......

Options
So one of the girls in my office has been telling me about corset waist trainers.....it sounds like the best thing in the world BUT it sounds far to good to be true?

Can you really drop a dress size? Has anyone ever used one and if so what were your results?

Thanks
Lianne x

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's just another fad that won't provide any results. If it sounds too good, it is.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's just another fad that won't provide any results. If it sounds too good, it is.

+1
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you do serious corset training your waist size will probably decrease. However, your body fat won't be any lower, you won't be any fitter, and you risk damaging your internal organs if you aren't careful. It takes a long time and is a serious thing, not just something people do on a whim.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    My organs like where they're located right now, I'll keep them there.
  • lh1990
    lh1990 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My organs like where they're located right now, I'll keep them there.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    squeezing your body means squeezing your internal organs and also making it harder to breathe. there's a reason women in the victorian and previous times who wore corsets used to faint all the time.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    It's not only your organs that risk shifting. Your ribs can shift curvature.

I know some people are going to look at this (and the other warnings) and go, "Eh, everything has risks," but this is not one worth the time unless you've already lost the weight and want that Masuimi Max cinched waist look.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit
    time
    patience
    consistency

That will be your best corset waist trainer. :wink:
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    and to lose additonal weight.....need to wear stilleto heels and workout on the stripper pole.
  • Mackneeds2losew8
    Options
    Caloric deficit
    time
    patience
    consistency

That will be your best corset waist trainer. :wink:
  • yethica
    Options
    geoiggs, your comment makes no sense. Some women are strippers. Some women wear stilletos. Not all women who wear stilletos are strippers.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    geoiggs, your comment makes no sense. Some women are strippers. Some women wear stilletos. Not all women who wear stilletos are strippers.

They aren't???? :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

I don't think I like that very much
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    come on just kidding!!....women who do where stilettos are actually exercising great calves...this was an absurd posting
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    So one of the girls in my office has been telling me about corset waist trainers.... it sounds like the best thing in the world BUT it sounds far to good to be true?
    Can you really drop a dress size? Has anyone ever used one and if so what were your results?
    Sure, you can squish what's normally around your waist so it's above or below, but it's a temporary fix and changes function in the organs affected.
    Not healthy, esp. not for long-term.
    Can cause permanent disfigurement of the ribs & organs.

They are used to help recovery in spinal cord injuries, and sometimes to correct scoliosis, and for that they are beneficial, but I suspect the design is quite different from the fashion or fetish ones your co-worker is talking about.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15729102
    Corsets reduce lung capacity, so respirations increase.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4093227
    Long-term corset wear causes increased intrabdominal pressure & liver abnormality.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1999.tb08105.x/full
    Long-term corset wear causes increased intrabdominal pressure, liver abnormality, and may contribute to endometriosis.

http://media.johnwiley.com.au/product_data/excerpt/95/14051348/1405134895-68.pdf
    Page 4, bottom of column 1, top of column 2
    Long-term corset wear causes deformation of the liver.

http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-04519-6_1#page-1
    Bottom of page 2, column 2
    Long-term corset wear causes deformation of the liver.

Here are some xray images of what you're referring to
    https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1024&bih=509&q=corset+waist+training&oq=corset+waist+training&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1237.4070.0.5346.21.12.0.3.3.0.360.1528.0j6j0j2.8.0....0...1ac.1.53.img..10.11.1583.d49wl2utJM4#tbm=isch&q=corset+waist+training+rib+xrays
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options

I do believe you missed the joke. Why so serious?
  • agriffi1
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this...don't believe the hype...I can't imagine how an undergarment regardless of how tightly you zip it can actually invoke any fat loss...body shapers like Spanx...do help you look more slim in nice formal wear but death to those ridiculous corsets and dumb body fat creams. ugh.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It won't make you lose weight. It just shoves the fat up and down.

Corsets sucked. That's why better things were invented and embraced.

Just get some Spanx. :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find a good core workout. It will train your waist much better and I have seen some free apps no$$$$ spent.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Corset waist training is misunderstood and often misused. It's not meant for weightloss, first of all. With a properly adjusted corset, you literally cannot eat very much because all your organs are squished together. It can also cause problems with blood flow and even cause fainting. It CAN make you drop inches in your waistline over time if the corset is TIGHT because it REARRANGES YOUR ORGAN LOCATION. You're not losing fat, you're just forcing it - and your organs - to be elsewhere.

Read that again. You are basically forcing a new shape on your body by wearing a garment so tightly and for so long it shifts to adjust. Similar to how in China they used to do foot binding the force an unnatural shape on the foot which eventually becomes permanent.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^^yup.

wearing a corset =/= tight lacing or waist training.

I wear a corset occasionally- and gladly.

but I would never consider tight lacing- it's a long term body manipulation technique to physically force a new shape on to your body- which does bad things to bones and internal organs.

is bad.

just wear corsets for the Renn Faire and fun times with your SO. Otherwise - diet and exercise.