When do I begin weight training....

Options
Hello all -

I'm 50 years old and have about 10-15 lbs to lose to hit my goal. I've lost a total of 15 lbs so far and can see my body changing. I'm currently walking 5-6 miles a day, 6 days a week. I also do 45 minutes of yoga 1 or 2 times a week and a 2-4 mile bike ride twice a week.
I want to add some weight training/resistance band exercises for my arms and core, but don't want to end up with "fat muscle". Is it too early to add these components? How often should I be doing it? And does anyone have a short routine (15-20 minutes) that I can do before work in the morning?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com.

That's all you need.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You could have started it right away on your weight loss journey. Starting now is better than later! I'm not sure what "fat muscle" is but I don't think you have to worry.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What is fat muscle? Do you mean get bulky? it's never too late to add weight training. Not only will it help with muscle retention and maintains metabolic functions, it can also prevent osteoporosis.

Also keep in mind, heavy weight = stronger. Women will not gain loads of muscle, let alone do it on a deficit. And even if you do it while eating at maintenance, your body will just get leaner and tighter.
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My definition of fat muscle is when you have that layer of fat over a nice muscle....I've seen it on some people - I guess it's when you stop working out and start gaining fat back.
  • suzy0317
    suzy0317 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back! I'll start today! :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You should start weight training yesterday and stop never.
    It can only do good for you if you keep good form.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    My definition of fat muscle is when you have that layer of fat over a nice muscle....I've seen it on some people - I guess it's when you stop working out and start gaining fat back.

Yes it does happen to people that start doing too much weight training too early. You are close enough to your goal you should be good. Just keep up with what you are doing.
    Good Luck

29509743.png
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Don't worry about that! If you're still losing and lifting on a bit of a deficit, you're only going to lose inches. Plus you'll burn more calories in your daily life.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Just keep in mind, your muscle size won't really grow while in a deficit. So if you stop and gain back, it's just fat fat. :laugh: