C25k??

Options
So I've been making some pathetic attempts a running for some time now by myself, I can do about 2 and a half miles at a pathetically slow pace without stopping, and can do a mile in 12 mins. I'm really desperate to get my times down and my stamina up. I go to the gym 3 times plus per week so I'm not adverse to exercise and was wondering if having a go at the c25k might be good for building my speed up?

Replies

• PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So I've been making some pathetic attempts a running for some time now by myself, I can do about 2 and a half miles at a pathetically slow pace without stopping, and can do a mile in 12 mins. I'm really desperate to get my times down and my stamina up. I go to the gym 3 times plus per week so I'm not adverse to exercise and was wondering if having a go at the c25k might be good for building my speed up?

I think a C25K program could be very helpful in increasing your stamina and pace. I'd strongly suggest focusing on the stamina aspect of things and letting the gains in pace come as a result in increased stamina though. A lot of people who have the intent on improving both at the same time wind up with an injury. When you run at a 12:00 pace, is it difficult enough to where you would find it difficult to talk (I run alone and talk to myself at times to keep my pace in check.)? If you find it difficult slow down or do walk run intervals. I also imagine starting at the beginning of a C25K program would be a little on the non-challenging/boring side for you since you already have a start. I'd suggest starting somewhere in the middle of a C25K program. Keep at it, and don't worry about your pace. I started out at not even being able to walk a 5K and I can run a 5K in ~24:00 2 years later. Be patient and be kind to yourself.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I like PrairieRunner's advice. Since you can already run 2.5 miles without stopping, C25K might be too easy. If you do it, maybe start on week 5. On day 1 and day 2, focus on running a little faster during the running intervals, and on day 3, focus on running at a sustainable pace (slow enough that you can talk in complete sentences).

How long have you been running? Generally, most authorities recommend 6-12 months of running before you add in deliberate speedwork. You need to accustom your joints and muscles to the stresses of running. People who are already fit from other activities often get injured when running, because they have the cardiovascular fitness to run far and fast, but their tendons and ligaments aren't ready for the stresses they experience when running.
  • fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    First You run a mile in 12 minutes & 2.5 without walking, Great job!
    You've got some excellent advice here already and I'll second starting in the middle of the C25K program.
    Ignoring your speed for a while and concentrating on running for longer periods of time will not only build your stamina one day you'll go for 1 quick mile and discover you're measurably faster.
    If at all possible find a friend to run with. When you're running with someone else you're often conversing, so you're probably not pushing yourself too hard. The companionship distracts you from all those things about running that might annoy you. You may even discover you're capable of running a little longer or faster when you're running with a friend. That's only a plus if you don't injure yourself by trying to match someone else's ability too quickly.
    Happy running!