FELLOW SPARTAN RACERS

Options
I just completed the Spartan Beast in Temecula CA. I finished before they started to shut down portions of the race. The race was deemed "The Beast From Hell." The temperature was 115 degrees, which made racing super difficult!

I'm looking forward to the Spartan Sprint in Malibu this December.

Just wondering who is a fellow Spartan! Aroo, Aroo

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Just did my first Spartan Sprint this Saturday. If I do another burpee again this week it will be a miracle! That said it was a fun race and pretty approachable despite all the hype around it. Maybe because it was a stadium one and there was no fire/water/mud obstacles ;)
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I know someone who just ran that race. He is actually in my challenge group. Spartan races are so addicting!
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I did a Spartan Sprint in DC this past July. Same as above poster, thought it was more manageable than hyped. Looking forward to signing up for a Super next year and/or a Tough Mudder.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here! I did my first Sprint in 2013, in terrible shape, and it honestly wasn't a positive experience, but it was all of my own making. My dad wants to do a Sprint with me next year, so we're training through the next year to actually be prepared and in decent shape. I'm excited and dreading it all at once :)
  • Dustinsteven22
    Options
    @ragegringer Good luck with your future race! Training is definitely required!

As far as the stadium races, if it's missing the mud, fire, water, and craziness, you are missing out! I suggest doing the Super or a Sprint not in the stadium.

I'm hoping to post some training tips on here!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 Tough Mudders, a Warrior Dash, and a Merrel Down and Dirty... I get plenty of mud! It was actually kind of nice not to have to wash my sneakers a thousand times, and the stadium was still a nice challenge.
  • T_Roc
    T_Roc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm working on doing a Spartan Sprint in Atlanta, GA, March of next year. Going to be my first doing anything like this. Can't wait.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i'm doing the sprint in Malibu as well, my very first!

Congrats on completing Temecula, I heard horror stories.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I've done a muddy Sprint (Amesbury, MA) and the Fenway Park Sprint in 2012. I thought the Amesbury one was tough for different reasons than the Fenway one... namely running straight up the side of a ski slope, but the Fenway one required a different kind of grit to get up and down flight after flight of stadium steps.

I now regularly run the Harvard Stadium stairs and so I'm looking forward to doing the Fenway Sprint again some day soon!

ETA: that reminds me, I have to register to volunteer at the Fenway Spartan so I can race for free this year.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I did my first Spartan race last July at Blue Mountain in PA and I loved it. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do one this year but I am definitely doing at least one next year.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Did my first race, a Sprint here in Calgary. The huge hills at the beginning killed me, but I knew that would be tough going in. We had a great group to run with so we only ended up doing... 90? burpees, and some of us are some bigger ladies :p

Made a pact to do the trifecta within two years. Definitely can be addicting!
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first one on Sunday, a Sprint in the UK. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in but I'm terrified. I'm sure I won't be able to climb anything :-S
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    @sazrina don't worry. Everyone running the race helps everyone out. Can't tell you how many times I helped push people over walls / up mud berms and how many times random strangers not running with me did the same. Everyone wants everyone to finish. There were only two obstacles I couldn't do (rope climb & my arms gave out trying to climb up a 45 degree wall covered in mud with a rope) but every other one I had even the slightest trouble with plenty of people jumped in to help and offer words of encouragement. Best of luck.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I did a Sprint in TX a couple years ago, then 2 more in Colo Springs, CO. I actually did this last one in the Elite Heat just to see how I could fare without the log jams that tend to happen at certain obstacles. Loved it! Want to do a Beast if I can find myself near one one of these days.
  • sazrina
    sazrina Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement :-). I think I need to remember that it's not just me and people will help each other like you say.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Options
    Anyone volunteer for any of the races? I just volunteered for the Beast. I think its totally worth it. I save me some money!