Kinect Sports or Your Shape?

Options
I'm getting a Kinect bundle and I'm decided on Dance Central, but I'm not sure whether to get it with Kinect Sports or Your Shape Fitness Evolved. I like games and get bored easily. I like the idea of the Your Shape having the measuring, giving calories and having calorie goals but I worry that I won't like the serious exercise part of it (though this may be what I want as I lose more weight?) and I'll get bored with the mini games. Are there a lot of Wii Fit type mini games with it?

I hear that Kinect Sports is a good work out with things like boxing, but then I worry that this isn't enough serious exercise and that I might get bored with this also...

Another quick question, is anyone having problems with space? I hear you need a lot of space for it to work properly.

Thanks in advance for your replies xox

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i`ve exercised with both the wii system and the xbox kinect and i prefer xbox anyday! i like that you dont have to mess around with a remote like the wii. i get super bored of games quickly too if they dont keep my interest. i really enjoy the dance central the most. or the boxing game was a killer workout. i got too frustrated with the sonic one. we dont have much for game options here in canada still lol
  • ashleyinthestars
    ashleyinthestars Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have a 360 w/Kinect and Kinect Sports is more of a fun/party/group game with a bunch of mini games. Your Shape looks to be more involved and serious (I don't have, and haven't played around with, that game). I DO have the Biggest Loser game and Zumba Fitness for the Kinect and I think the BL game is closer to Your Shape. I know it kicked my *kitten* the first time I did a 30 minute workout on there. I've done a few 20 minute sessions with the Zumba and that seems like it can be pretty effective if I stick to it.

Also, I'm not sure what size the space is that I use in my living room (maybe 7 or 8 feet wide (the length of a regular couch, because I stand in front of mine lol) and about 7 feet or so from the sensor...not really sure) and I do move my coffee table each time I play. Each game comes with a calibration card and you have re-calibrate every time you move the sensor so it can work properly based on how much room you have (i.e. when we took ours to my in-law's house over the holidays).
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Santa bright kids an xbox 360 w/ kinect and the sports. Wow. Volleyball is awesome...track and field great! Those two will provide great workouts. Hrm for sports up to 168 cals in an hr having fun for extra cal loss. That said I still want the fitness for a good workout on days I can't get to the gym. DC easy cal burn... love the dances and easy,med,hard levels!
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have both games and I just tried Your Shape out... it seems like there is a lot of possibility with it but so far I feel like I'm standing around too much... we'll see as I use it more.

Kinect Sports is soooooo much fun to play... but I don't think its a good long term workout game. I can see it getting boring if you are doing it everyday by yourself. It's more of a party game to do with other people.
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    We have the Kinect and the Your Shape game. We have Kinect Sports and Dance Central too, but I haven't personally used them. Never thought to use those for workouts, but I should! Might be a good thing to throw in now and then for variety!!

I just started using Your Shape, and I've only done 2 of the personal training sessions so far. It seems to have a lot of potential, but you do stand around a bit. I do like that it has the calorie counter, and it also gives you goals to try and maintain, like how wide your stance is, how low your squats are, etc. And you get a percentage score based on how well you do the moves, so you have something to try and improve on each time. The personal training will get boring after a while, though, I can already tell. So I'm not sure how much more info I can give you on the game itself. I plan to try the other options next to see how they are. I know it has fitness classes too, and those might be better. I'm not sure.

I will say that we had to rearrange our family room when we bought the Kinect. We have the sensor sitting down in front of the TV, which isn't ideal but we don't have any way of moving it up higher right now. It's on the list of things to buy! I just measured for you, and I have to stand about 7 feet back from the sensor for Your Shape.
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I actually was just doing Kinect Sports like 5 minutes ago. I watched a Youtube video that showed playing the boxing and the Track and Field, (combined time 15 mins.) you burn 120 calories. It is great to get in a small, fun workout 2-3 times a day. I thought it was quite a workout. My husband has been playing Kinect Sports and he has to play every other day, because he is sore from the workout. So, I thought I would give it a try. I totally agree with him! And we have a tiny living room, and don't have a problem with space. It was the greatest Christmas present for the whole family to enjoy and get excercise!! We love it!!