MFP Activity Level - Goal Setting & Calories

Options
Hey, everyone!

Wanted an opinion... I have a new role in my place of work, and I will be on my feet more than what I used to be, but not all day long. I would say maybe half of my workday on my feet and half sitting. The difference between sedentary and lightly active for me is 1,710 VS 2,030.

I do not want to commit to fully 'lightly active' because I don't think I'm on my feet enough. Want opinions as to whether I should reset my own goal to somewhere in between, or stick to the sedentary goal.

Replies

• crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would stay the same for about a month and check to see if you are still successful with your weight loss and then re-assess.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    For me a major ambition has been to eat as much as I possibly can while still losing weight at an appropriate rate. So I have always opted for the higher activity level and a 1-1.5 pounds/week rate of loss (well, at first when I had 100 to lose; I've revised it to just half a pound a week as my goal now). You'll still lose at the higher activity level, maybe not as fast, but you'll get to eat more! I'm a fan of that. If you go with Lightly Active, stick to it for 6 weeks no matter what (because at first you may see small gains but it should even out). If after the 6 weeks you have either maintained or gained, then you know to bump back down to Sedentary, but the reality is very few people actually fall into the Sedentary category even IF they have a desk job! Work is 8-10 hours of most people's days, sleep is realistically another 6-8 hours; unless you're vegging in front of the TV for those other 10+ hours, you probably need to be at Lightly Active in the first place.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Always better to go lower that way weight loss is easier. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

29509743.png

Rubbish. The weight loss may be FASTER but it is not necessarily going to be EASIER. "Always better to go lower" is a recipe for failure. For feeling deprived. For getting "hangry" and for binge eating. You need to eat enough to fuel your activity level and exercise. "Lower is Always Better" is bad advice.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

29509743.png

Rubbish. The weight loss may be FASTER but it is not necessarily going to be EASIER. "Always better to go lower" is a recipe for failure. For feeling deprived. For getting "hangry" and for binge eating. You need to eat enough to fuel your activity level and exercise. "Lower is Always Better" is bad advice.
    Either one as look at how much they each lost! NICE job guys!