Does the weight on your scale change depending on...

...how you shift your body? And if so, do you record the lower number?

Mine changes and I go with the lower number. :)

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Where have I heard this before ? LoL
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    My hubby moves its round the hallway until he gets the numbers he likes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Are you talking about leaning to one side?

And why not just stand straight up with parallel feet while looking forward?
  • I step on it three times, sometimes I move it a little to the right if I'm not happy with the number. This morning I wanted to throw it out the window as no matter what I did, it said I gained. Mother effing scale!!!

The best way to weigh yourself is to lie on your back, put your legs up and put the scale on your feet. :smokin:
  • Do you use a digital scale? I just stand still, looking straight ahead, until the number stabilizes.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    I always try to put my feet in the same place and stand upright. I have to get two consecutive readings for it to count.
  • corinic91
    corinic91 Posts: 148 Member
    I step on it three times, sometimes I move it a little to the right if I'm not happy with the number. This morning I wanted to throw it out the window as no matter what I did, it said I gained. Mother effing scale!!!

The best way to weigh yourself is to lie on your back, put your legs up and put the scale on your feet. :smokin:

:laugh: :drinker:
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Get 3 digital scales

Take 3 readings from each, average all 9 readings out. That should cut down on any variances.

Doh
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Are you talking about leaning to one side?

Shifting weight, however you might define it.

Mine changes depending on if I shirt my weight forward or back.

Looking forward doesn't work for me because I can't see the the numbers. My numbers register down by my feet. I have to look down. But whatever works for you!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I always try to put my feet in the same place and stand upright. I have to get two consecutive readings for it to count.

Same.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    I try to keep the scale in the same place, weigh 3 times, and whichever number came up twice is the number I record.
  • Are you talking about leaning to one side?

Shifting weight, however you might define it.

Mine changes depending on if I shirt my weight forward or back.

Looking forward doesn't work for me because I can't see the the numbers. My numbers register down by my feet. I have to look down. But whatever works for you!
    Of course you have to look down. But this shouldn't result in a shifting of weight by just tipping your head down. Just stand still, don't shift, until the number stops moving. Unless you have to crouch down to see the numbers, in which case I would suggest purchasing a new scale, or glasses.
  • KeeRae1989
    KeeRae1989 Posts: 38 Member

Same.

I do three times and average it out. It's usually about the same (plus/minus .7 to .8 either way). Plus every scale is going to weigh you differently.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    ...how you shift your body? And if so, do you record the lower number?

Mine changes and I go with the lower number. :)

I use the Wii FIT for all my weigh ins. It's accurate to .1lb. It won't let you manipulate it with leaning.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    You're looking in the wrong places for results! Scale isn't really your friend.

Put all that energy into getting your food weighing correct!

Then you'll see results.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Are all scales this wonky?

Mine doesn't change. Not whether I lean or move one foot 3 inches in front of the other or if I put my thumb on my nose.
    Maybe you need a new scale? Do you have it on hardwood or tile? Mine was very very very inconsistent and inaccurate when it was on carpet, even thin carpet.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    x3

Same.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    I step on it three times, sometimes I move it a little to the right if I'm not happy with the number. This morning I wanted to throw it out the window as no matter what I did, it said I gained. Mother effing scale!!!

LOL. That is a bad scale. :D
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Why don't you just put your scale under a door jamb or something, then you can pull up, hang on and be any weight you want?
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    The number on mine stays the same no matter how I stand or how many times I get off it and back on.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    The most accurate way to record your weight and know what you really weigh is to weigh daily at the same time of day. Then, average that weekly. In fact, I use an app called Happy Scales that does just that for me. Another app, Tactio also does it. Your weight fluctuates daily -- sometimes a pound or more. It depends on many things and will drive you mad if you let it. I suggest you keep a moving average of your weight.

People who tell you not to weigh are doing you an injustice. Of course you should weigh. Just don't live and die by the number. In fact, use the measuring tape and the body fat measurement far more seriously. Scale weight loss is mostly water and waste before you get to the fat loss.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    The number on mine stays the same no matter how I stand or how many times I get off it and back on.

I have a digital one, I get on it twice because I want to be sure that that's the actual number.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Sounds like something you should ask your doctor about.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I use an Omron scale that also measures body fat, etc. I only weigh in the evening (in the morning, I'm too dehydrated before showering and too hydrated afterward)... and I try to wait until 2 hours after eating. It has a hand-held screen that also adds 2 points to the sensors for fat, muscle, etc. It is pretty consistent and I feel it to be very accurate for weight and somewhat accurate for the bio-electrical impedence measurements. With that said, my weight varies slightly from day to day regardless of trying to be consistent. So I watch for trends over a larger period of time, and I use Excel for that.
  • sometimes mine changes. If I can get the lower number to show up 2-3 times I use the lower number. Doesn't really matter as I'll get there eventually anyway even if the lower number is wrong the first time.
  • There are a million ways you can manipulate the scale to get a number a few oz. or even maybe a lb. or two less than the weight you just took 10 seconds before. But did you REALLY lose that additional weight by getting on and off the scale, or leaning, or sticking your big toes off the side of scale, or touching the wall........? No. It's less frustrating just to get on the scale, record the weight, then move on with your day.