Why do YOU diet?

Options
I haven't tried many diets as I can never stick to them so I decided to eat what I want as long as it is in my calorie allowance. I still get to eat everything I want - which is always good :)

I have scraped Pepsi Max and chocolate completely out of my diet for now as I know I go over the top with them and can't stop but mainly to help health wise :)

So what diets have you done? Have you stuck to them? If you didn't, why did it not work? Why have you done them?

:)

Replies

• markjacobs1987
    markjacobs1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't like the term diet for one main reason. Diets have a start point and an end point and never last forever. If you truly want to lose weight and keep it off you need to have a nutrition plan you can sustain long term for life. Diets can't be sustained for life. Eating healthy and having a total lifestyle change can. That's how I have been able to lose weight and been able to keep it off and how I advise everyone with losing weight.
  • marthalgutierrez92
    Options
    "Diets"

I tried all of them

HCG
    HERBALIFE
    ACUPUNCTURE
    PILLS
    JUICE FAST
    PINEAPPLE DIET
    WATERMELON DIET
    MILITARY DIET
    WEIGHT WATCHERS.

And after failure after failure...

I gave up on "diets"

They're temporary.....

My new lifestyle however... is awesome.

Healthy food, snacks, if I have enough cals I splurge on a few pieces of dark chocolate
    and the best part is i'm loosing weight and can totally stick to this forever.

Please don't diet, find something you enjoy and will do long term.
  • dizy17
    dizy17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I cant say I "diet" because I don't think diets work. Eating healthier and exercising regularly is what has helped me lose 81 lbs
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Your "diet" is what ever food you are eating.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I want to be healthier and lose weight.

I never did any fad diets. I did try adjusting portions and exercise, but until I got my medical issue fixed, I never lost weight.

I have to credit most of my success to swallowing a pill. I work hard!!! But it's the pill that lets me lose.

I never forget that there are others struggling and not losing because they have an undiagnosed medical issue. I hope they all get fixed and have successful weight loss, too.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I tried nutrisystem and got too hungry
    I lost 25 lbs cutting down on carbs. I stopped because my cholesterol went up. I probably could have modified that if I knew what I was doing, but in didn't and slowly gained the weight back +

Now I have a calorie and protein goal. I am still figuring things out. I am not cutting anything out forever.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers.

Atkins was in HS, and it worked, but then I got tired of the restrictions and stopped. I gained some of the weight back, not all.

Jenny Craig was in college. I ate the food they gave and then I ended up just sticking to the idea of eating less and exercising more. Then I went home, and completely lost my self control and gained everything back +10.

Weight Watchers was to help me get my eating under control and I segwayed into MFP in my last month of WW. I'm still going strong.

Now, I eat less and exercise more, which is basically what JC & WW are, but free.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I eat what I want and keep it within my calorie budget. Much easier to follow.
  • linedawg
    Options
    For me, my diet is not a temporary thing. It is more of a life style change in my eating habits. The current “diet” I am on right now is something I plan on sticking with and adjust as needed to maintain the weight and feeling I want. When I hear the term diet I think of a quick temporary change and this is where I drew the line and took my diet to become a life style change.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't like the term diet for one main reason. Diets have a start point and an end point and never last forever. If you truly want to lose weight and keep it off you need to have a nutrition plan you can sustain long term for life. Diets can't be sustained for life. Eating healthy and having a total lifestyle change can. That's how I have been able to lose weight and been able to keep it off and how I advise everyone with losing weight.
    +1
  • KristyAnn81
    KristyAnn81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't "diet". Every time I would "diet" and restrict too much, I would crash and burn. I finally decided my diet is too restricting as it is (between food allergies and medical issues) and I just eat smarter and make a life style change. I set my calories and carbs, if I want something I have it, but I'm smart about it and don't overdo it. I try to stick by lots of veggies, lots of water and protein to fill you up.

Edit: As for why I do it, it's because I want to be healthier on the inside and comfortable in my own skin on the outside.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No diet e either - every time I try that I fail because I start to immediately crave whatever it is I tell myself I can't have, & when I fall off that wagon I fall off BIG time. I started exercising (loads of swimming) & lost 24 lbs., then I discovered MFP & lost another 44 after learning a bit more about what I'm eating. Logging has taught me more about what, how often & how much food I'm eating & it's made a big difference. I don't deprive myself of anything, I just try to work it into my day by pre-planning a little bit & I, ironically, do not crave anything - including the things I used to eat all the time & no longer have very much, if at all. I'm not so concerned with weight loss that I'm weighing everything & being super strict - I think that would lead me to some of the same problems as the "diet" mentality. I did it to improve my health & it's worked big time, so I'm really happy. The weight loss has been a nice side benefit & I'd be thrilled if I lost about 30 more lbs., but if I don't I'm ok with that too........
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I don't diet and never have. I had unhealthy habits. Now I am developing better habits for a lifetime.

Diets are WORK. (Ptha, foo!) Habits are effortless once established.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. I eat and lift, as I'll continue to do for as long as I am able.

I've done 1200 calorie diets and I even did Atkins for a few months in the past. Never again.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    As Camo stated, diet is by definition, what you eat whether you like the term or not. You can change your diet. Some people could benefit from that.
    Fad diets are where people get into trouble.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have never been on a structured or named diet, though I have dieted many times. I usually just try to cut back on portions and up my exercise.

Eat less, move more.

I still yo-yo.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I don't diet.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the obsession on this site with the word diet. If you are restricting calories with the desire to lose weight, you are on a diet. Is calling it something else helpful?
  • ASH2038602
    ASH2038602 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    This is my first real go at dieting. Before I tried like twice for a couple weeks each time. My problem was that I was super restrictive and only ate a bagel for breakfast and salad for lunch and dinner because I didnt know what to eat. Now I eat what I want with moderation and try to eat fruit or/and vegetables at every meal. I dont have a problem saying diet. I know it's a lifestyle change, but I dont feel the need to correct people when they call it a diet.
  • AuroraD82
    AuroraD82 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I changed my diet because I ran into an old friend and she looked so much lighter after losing a bunch of weight. I wanted that feeling of pride and accomplishment that seemed to just pour out of her. I want to lose weight, and stop gaining weight. I want to buy clothes off the front of the rack and the top of the stack. I want my daughter's to have an exemplary example in me for being healthy and happy. I want my son to know the same when he's old enough to notice.
    Why do you diet OP?