Front Squats vs back squats (StrongLifts)

Hey! I've been doing Stronglifts for the past 2 months pretty consistently, but have been talking it over with a teammate who insists front squats are better for the overall core. Is there a way to incorporate front squats into a Stronglifts workout routine? Any recommendations on how to do it? I'm pretty happy with the routine I'm in now so I'm nervous about mixing it up. Thoughts?

As well, I comfortably, with solid form, did 65lb deep front squats yesterday - my back squats are comfortably at 140 lbs. If I were to start say, replacing one of the swuats with front squats a week, would that be an ok weight to start with?

(Off days are either running, horseback riding, or both; I do core supersets after weight days).

TIA.

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Depends on how much extra time you have. If you have a lot of extra time, you could do front squats (8-12 rep range) after the core lifts as an accessory. If you don't have additional time, I'd just swap out every other squat for a front squat as you're squatting 3x/week as it is. You won't progress as quickly on your back squat, but if you're cool with that, I see no reason why you can't do that.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Do you feel that it is necessary to do this only for core work? I would say that doing some ab work on your off days would get you some core work without the additional strain of adding another compound movement to you workout just to help build your core.

PwrLftr82's response gives you a good option as well if you are willing to sacrifice the gains on back squats by substituting front squats in every other session. Front squats hit your legs in a different way than back squats, but there is some carryover from one to the other.

I see you mentioned a teammate in your post. I don't know what sport or activity you participate in, but some sources say that front squats are better for athletes. I can see why they would say this in most cases. If you do things that involve Olympic lifts, the front squat will help there also.

My stance on adding to a program that is pretty set in stone though is to only do so after you have milked all the gains you can from it. After you have done that with a program like Stronglifts, you are better off finding a new program that meets you specific needs. Stronglifts is a beginner program. It isn't meant to be run forever.
  • PwrLftr82
    Do you feel that it is necessary to do this only for core work? I would say that doing some ab work on your off days would get you some core work without the additional strain of adding another compound movement to you workout just to help build your core.

My stance on adding to a program that is pretty set in stone though is to only do so after you have milked all the gains you can from it. After you have done that with a program like Stronglifts, you are better off finding a new program that meets you specific needs. Stronglifts is a beginner program. It isn't meant to be run forever.

Two great points.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Thank you both for the input and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'm not intending to get my core work from the front squats, that was just the only major difference she stated when explaining it to me (she was really not impressed that I just don't do front squats). Usually I add core work for about 10-15 minutes to every second workout. Should be more, but that is one area I know I struggle in.

We play tackle football (center in particular for me), and although group conditioning starts in October for more specialized training, I will not be starting that until January. I've lifted previously but never really consistently until the season ended in July, which is why I started Stronglifts to start "from scratch" and get my form down, and I pulled/tore my pectoral muscle in my left shoulder in May, so just working on building strength/confidence in that shoulder.

I'll probably start alternating the squats and just not expect as consistent gains in the front, and start to look into different programs in a month or so.
  • PwrLftr82
    I'll probably start alternating the squats and just not expect as consistent gains in the front, and start to look into different programs in a month or so.

Not sure how many days/week you have to lift, but if you can squeeze in 4 days, you might want to look into Wendler 531 or an upper/lower split program. You could have front squats as an accessory lift in that.

That said, you don't NEED to do front squats if you don't want to (I happen to do them as an accessory lift on my lower body #2 day).
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Thank you both for the input and suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I'm not intending to get my core work from the front squats, that was just the only major difference she stated when explaining it to me (she was really not impressed that I just don't do front squats). Usually I add core work for about 10-15 minutes to every second workout. Should be more, but that is one area I know I struggle in.

We play tackle football (center in particular for me), and although group conditioning starts in October for more specialized training, I will not be starting that until January. I've lifted previously but never really consistently until the season ended in July, which is why I started Stronglifts to start "from scratch" and get my form down, and I pulled/tore my pectoral muscle in my left shoulder in May, so just working on building strength/confidence in that shoulder.

I'm not a doctor, but if you actually tore your pec in May, it may be a little soon to throw front squats into your workout. There is a lot of flexibility involved with the set up for front squat, especially if you do it with a clean grip. Even the cross armed grip may cause you some problems as you start to go heavier. If you are able to bench though, you should probably be fine.

Another word of advice, if you are training specifically for sport, be sure to follow a program that helps you for that sport. While general strength will help you excel at most sports, don't neglect the other work that is necessary to be good at your sport. In other words, don't workout like a baseball player in order to play football. I think a lot of strength and conditioning coaches try to make up programs that will help everyone and never pay attention to the needs of the individual. Thank about what is best for your sport and your position when you start your next program.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Unfortunately I didn't get it checked early enough to figure out what actually happened. I find it is fine as long as I consciously use the muscle (ie during a bench at 100 lbs/front squat). If doing burpees, etc, and I kind of leave the arm "loose" that is when I will start to feel it.

I hear you on the flexibility doing them with a clean grip, that will definitely be a challenge getting used to. The football specific training starts in October (lots of cardio + strength), but my schedule just doesn't line up so I won't be starting that until January unfortunately. So I'm just trying to find the best program to get me to a good point for then. I could probably squeeze in 4 days, my work gym is pretty dead at lunch I've found; I will look into those!

Thanks again for the tips, it sounds like it definitely couldn't hurt to mix things up. I definitely want to get those most out of the workouts, whatever that entails.