17lbs and no one notices?

Options
Okay, this might seem shallow, but I've lost 17 pounds. I can see it and feel it, but not a soul has said to me, "have you lost weight?" Maybe I'm more invisible than I thought. I don't HAVE TO have that affirmation, but it sure would be nice.

Replies

• pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it can suck. It took about 40lbs for people to notice for me. It's different for everyone.
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I know how that is. Chances are they did notice a bit but didn't say anything. How many times do people actually talk about a guy's weight? Only people that say things to me about my weight are my family and the people on here. Don't let it get you down. Just keep on keeping on!
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I know this is stereotypical but I never talk to the men I work with about their weight. I have 2 females I work with and only 1 of them will I talk to. Now muscle gain I'm more incline to notice....maybe I'm just like muscle so I notice lol. I'm sure people have notice though but have not said anything.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Have you lost weight??? WTG!!! :drinker:

I lost weight for myself, not the approval of others. Agreed it feels good when someone notices but don't let it stop your progress! :flowerforyou:
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It takes a lot of weight loss for people to notice. Also friends/family who haven't seen you in a while will be more likely to notice than people who see you every day.

Keep working at it and cheering yourself on. Your doing great!
  • Tingababoo
    Tingababoo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Many people feel it is inappropriate to say something. I went from a size 8 to a 4, 27 lb loss and many people never said a thing. But once someone else mentioned it then everyone chimed in and was like Yeah I noticed but was afraid to say anything! They felt it was rude because it may indicate they thought you were heavy to begin with. It doesn't make sense but that's how some people feel!

Congrats and Keep Going!
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I think people notice but dont know how to compliment....or are afraid that an intended compliment may come off as a slam. I also saw a meme somewhere and I really wish I could find it that says it takes like 4 weeks for you to see the change, 8 for family and 12 for friends...so just bear that in mind...and keep doing what your doing!! Soon enough people will notice, even if they dont always comment :flowerforyou:
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    It took about 30 pounds before anyone around me noticed. Don't worry about it. People see you every day so the little changes aren't really noticeable until it's a lot.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    People that see you every day don't usually notice unless it's a lot, like 40-50lbs. People that haven't seen you in a while will notice.
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Took me about 30lbs until anyone noticed it. Keep at it as it feels great when people do notice.
  • fluffycamel
    fluffycamel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    They say it can take 12 weeks for someone to notice any weight loss - if its people you see all the time they just get use to it until you're probably half the size lol.

Keep going!!!

You're doing this for you.
  • jill604
    jill604 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Lost 30 before people noticed
  • Bslim04
    Options
    Dont worry about it. You will be so fit and trim everyone has to take notice. Keep up the great work.
  • atac9806
    atac9806 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! Would be nice if people started noticing all my hard work! :)

Good job and keep it up!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    HI. The only people who have noticed my weight loss are people I see only occasionally. My husband has noticed. No-one else has commented, although that might be good manners, as it is rather personal to comment on someone's bodyweight.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do notice when people gain or lose weight, but tend not to say anything.

I once bumped into an ex-colleague and commented on how slender and well she was looking and she then huffily informed me that she'd been suffering from undiagnosed coeliacs for years - she'd been in pain and vomited herself thin. No longer she looked better, she complained, she was no longer malnourished.

So yeah, unless someone has actively told me they're trying to lose weight, I daren't comment on it anymore.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've had people get offended when I've asked if they lost weight. I guess it's like asking a strange woman when the baby is due. I'll only say something if I know they've been trying to lose weight.
  • DisneyBecca
    Options
    No one noticed until I had lost 35 pounds. My mother in law (that I see about once a week or every other week) didn't even notice when I had lost 55 pounds until someone pointed it out to her. But the look on her face when she did a double take was well worth the wait. :)

I try to be understanding because I am admittedly the worst at recognizing weight loss on other people (as well as myself). A few years back, my parents lost about 50 pounds each and I honestly couldn't tell despite knowing that they were trying until I looked at old pictures. The difference was dramatic, but I had adjusted to all the little changes along the way and didn't notice without that direct comparison.
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just hit the 17-lb mark too, which is halfway to my goal weight of 164. (Very similar numbers to yours. See my ticker.) My body is not that different from when I started. Maybe one inch smaller around the waist.

I know from prior experience that changes in body shape will lag behind weight loss on the scale -- possibly by as much as two or three months. Also, the first 10 - 15 lbs have a lot to do with water retention and not so much with actual fat loss.

Combining those factors, it means it will be a while longer before your losses (and mine) will be very noticeable. Just keep going!
  • JoseCastaneda
    JoseCastaneda Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I heard this once, and found it's true with my own experience. When you start losing weight, you will notice it the first week. Your spouse (or partner) will notice it after 4 weeks. Your friends and people out of your intimate circle may start to notice it after 12 weeks...