How many calories

Options
What's a good amount of calories for someone who is 58 and 5'3"? I usually go to the gym twice a week and do some stairs and stretches the rest of the week. I can't seem to find the right amount to lose and I need to lose at least 20 lbs Also, anyone have good advise on how not to snack at night? That seems to be my downfall.

:mad:

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. You have to find what works for you. With only 20 lbs to lose, you probably should aim for 1/2 lb per week weight loss goal.

That being said, I'm 5'3" and 50. When I first started here, my goal was 1200 calories. I ate back exercise calories, so I exercised a lot. (6 days a week) After a while, I upped the calories gradually and was still losing.

I am currently maintaining my weight (134ish) at almost 1700 calories. (I still eat back some of my exercise calories.)

As for snacking at night, I am no help. I ALWAYS have a snack just before bedtime. I just make sure that I have calories left for it and I choose low calorie snacks like fiber one brownies or weight watcher's ice cream.

When people ask me the secret to losing all the weight, I tell them, "Eat less and move more."

Just make sure you are absolutely honest about what you are eating. Log everything. Be careful that you are not over estimating the calorie burn of exercise.

Good luck!
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Here is a great site that can help you find out what your calorie needs should be: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • FemWeight
    Options
    What's a good amount of calories for someone who is 58 and 5'3"? I usually go to the gym twice a week and do some stairs and stretches the rest of the week. I can't seem to find the right amount to lose and I need to lose at least 20 lbs Also, anyone have good advise on how not to snack at night? That seems to be my downfall.

:mad:

I find if you can stop before 8pm at night its helpful . However, I don't get my work out done till 8pm and if my calories for the day have taken a major hit with my exercise burn I get a dream bar -blue bunny-about 70calories , ocean spray craisins (greek yogurt) about 140 calories for 1/4cup or a few cashews. Something to bring my body out of the starving stage lol. I think I read women need no less than 1200 calories a day and men 1500.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with snacking at night. If you know you are going to want to do it, just save some of your calories. I always eat something at night because I take an iron supplement at night, so I save about 150 calories for that every day. Hasn't hindered my weight loss.