Frustrated with the scale!

Options
I really hope my bathroom scale just needs a new battery! :angry: I was under my calorie goal (of 1200/day) almost every day last week with my exercise added in, and this morning my scale says I have gained 1lb since last weigh in (on Sept 12). I have really been struggling with not giving into my cravings, which there have been a lot of, and this is just so discouraging.:grumble: I plan to get a new battery tomorrow and weigh myself on Wednesday morning, hopefully with better results.

Replies

• spiff1971
    spiff1971 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything you eat... with a scale?

How much water are you drinking?

You should be aiming to eat up to your caloric allowance... not below it...

Depending one the exercise, you may have experience muscle gain. Not the worst problem to have.

Be patient.. it will happen!

Chris
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You'll have weeks where to stay the same or go up due to water fluctuations.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I call time of the month incoming!

Could just be me though....
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You'll have weeks where to stay the same or go up due to water fluctuations.

^This.
    From day to day you can gain or lose several pounds of water weight. Don't lose too much sleep over week to week fluctuations, esp when you are so close to goal, just look for a downward trend!

Edited to correct my post-lunch coma spelling errors
  • mrsmcmo
    mrsmcmo Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for talking me down. ;) I am measuring everything with either measuring spoons/cups or a scale (which I actually just bought last week). Most of my exercise has been jogging, with an ab workout here and there. I'm thinking water weight is probably all it was. Scale is definitely mostly downward, it's just so frustrating to not see the results you are hoping for when you are working hard!
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Not to minimize it, but you only have 6 lbs to go, not a great amount. Try eating a bit more and shake things up. Surely the test will show you where you stand and not set you back. Try eating 1500 weekly and exercise and see what happens. 1200 sounds pretty low to me, AND you say you eat below even that. You should be at least eating that, not under it. Heck, try burning 400 calories and eat 1600, even.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Thanks, maybe I will try eating slightly more. MFP gave me a 1200 cal/day allowance when I set my weight loss goal to 1lb a week, and 1430 when I set it at .5lb. I can fairly easily do 1200/ day so that is what I have been going for. What I meant when I said that I was under 1200 with exercise is that on most days (although admittedly there were days that I didn't get to 1200 in food, but they are very minimal - maybe 1 or 2 in a 10 day stretch), I ate a minimum of 1200 cals, but then exercised and didn't eat back all my exercise calories.
  • mrsmcmo
    Options
    Just wanted to report back (in case anyone cares :tongue: ). I changed the battery in my scale, and it is saying today that I am down to 116lbs. :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Well if changing batteries is going to make me lose two pounds, I'm going to change mine!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    Stupid scale.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Also, don't use measuring cups or spoons, ever. They simply are not accurate. ALWAYS use the scale :)