Artificial sweetners may contribute to obesity & diabetes.

Options
2»

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious how often saccharin is used currently.
    I saw a 30 year old bottle in my Granny's cupboard if you want some. :D

LOL

This is pretty much what I was getting at although I phrased in that way in case it's still widely used and I'm just not aware of it.
    It was recently unbanned in Canada. My folks used to bring it back from the US because it was the only sub they liked and it was banned here for years. Somehow, that just made it taste sweeter ;)

Cool anecdote:
    All my overweight saccharine swilling grandparents lived to over 100 years old. Maybe if they`d stayed off the saccharine they`d still be with us. My folks are in their late 80s and going strong. It`s probably the gardening, and maybe just possibly, their genes.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I think as long as you are not a mouse, then you are safe from artificial sweeteners.

Besides, I always thought rats were the preferred rodent testing medium anyway. What's with the mice?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Or they may not. Funny how that works.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Last time I had it was in a TAB when my grandmother was still alive and drinking it. She died of heart failure at 84 BTW.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Probably daily. I see it all over the place in little pink packets...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    For anyone who's still interested here's a link to a pdf of the research article published in Nature from Mark's Daily Apple:

Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota
    http://cdn.marksdailyapple.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Artificial-sweeteners-induce-glucose-intolerance-by-altering-the-gut-microbiota.pdf

And Mark Sisson's blog post:

Artificial Sweeteners May Leave You Absolutely Gutted
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/artificial-sweeteners-may-leave-you-absolutely-gutted/

And Slate's article:

"We may soon find out what, exactly, non-caloric sweeteners are doing to our microbiomes, and whether it affects our health. But for the time being, the conventional wisdom remains the same: To the extent that artificial sweeteners help us wean off sugared drinks, they’re a boon to public health."

Did America Get Fat by Drinking Diet Soda?
    http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/09/artificial_sweeteners_and_obesity_did_america_get_fat_by_drinking_diet_soda.html
  • baubisson
    baubisson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Saw a cousin's beard fall out from morbidly-extensive use of aspartame, pretty sure that'll keep me off the stuff way better than some iffy study about gut bacteria issues, which are practically a red herring considering our society's far bigger problems regarding caloric intake and macronutrient ratios.