Has your success at MFP translated into other areas?

Today I was just thinking about how pleased I am that I've begun to really develop healthy, life-long habits when it comes to food - something I didn't think was possible! It got me thinking about other areas of my life that I've struggled with and if it's possible I can translate my success and the tools I've learned here and apply them there...

Not sure if I'm articulating this well, but I'd love to hear your thoughts/stories if you're tracking with me. After you've had some success here, have you felt empowered to do better in other areas of your life too? If so, I'd love to hear about that. ;)

Replies

• Really interesting topic, and something I hadn't thought about. I don't know if I've my success here has necessarily translated into greater success at work, marriage etc per se, but I am definitely a happier person so I hope that comes across in other areas of life.

Interested to see the responses to your question.
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    It's too soon to really see lasting impacts on other areas, but a few things have definitely translated. One, I'm much better at tracking my spending and saving money. I was working on it before starting MFP, but I use an app to enter in all my discretionary expenses, and I've been consistent since being on here. Plus, since I'm not eating out as much (not as healthy), and I'm cooking better things and eating less, I'm saving a lot of money.

Second, I am making more conscious decisions about how I spend my time. I'm not going out to eat as much and I want to go to the gym, so I prioritize that more and that means more nights in. If someone wants to hang out, I don't always say yes. That seems obvious, but I was spending 4/5 nights each week with plans, too busy to make good choices for myself. Focusing on MFP has helped me balance that a bit more.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    It's too soon to really see lasting impacts on other areas, but a few things have definitely translated. One, I'm much better at tracking my spending and saving money. I was working on it before starting MFP, but I use an app to enter in all my discretionary expenses, and I've been consistent since being on here. Plus, since I'm not eating out as much (not as healthy), and I'm cooking better things and eating less, I'm saving a lot of money.

Second, I am making more conscious decisions about how I spend my time. I'm not going out to eat as much and I want to go to the gym, so I prioritize that more and that means more nights in. If someone wants to hang out, I don't always say yes. That seems obvious, but I was spending 4/5 nights each week with plans, too busy to make good choices for myself. Focusing on MFP has helped me balance that a bit more.

Ummm...What is the app for your spending, may I ask?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I have more confidence now, in every way! I took a pretty big plunge and left a full time job to open an online shop, cycle solo, and generally believe I can do just about anything. Getting control over my eating makes me feel like I can get control over everything.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member

Yes, this is exactly the sort of thing I was alluding to. Super encouraging; thanks for sharing!
  • arussell134
    I have more confidence now, in every way! I took a pretty big plunge and left a full time job to open an online shop, cycle solo, and generally believe I can do just about anything. Getting control over my eating makes me feel like I can get control over everything.

YES!!! That's exactly how I feel right now. Like I've got enough motivation to continue the weight loss journey I'm on AND to conquer another area that needs more balance in my life (such as managing my home, finances, time, etc.).
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    More confidence here as well... and on a related note, i notice that i don't procrastinate nearly as much as i used to that i generally find the time for all the things i couldn't find the time for in the past.
  • arussell134
    Really interesting topic, and something I hadn't thought about. I don't know if I've my success here has necessarily translated into greater success at work, marriage etc per se, but I am definitely a happier person so I hope that comes across in other areas of life.

Yup; I'd totally agree with that. :)
  • lalepepper
    lalepepper Posts: 447 Member
    Yeah, it was actually quite a surprise. With the tools and mentality that has helped me lose weight, I was able to quit smoking in July. A few weeks ago, I broke my caffeine addiction. Being active gave me more energy and enthusiasm for every day life. Somewhat out of necessity, I ended up taking on a lead role in planning and implementing my agency's first fundraiser, which more than tripled our goals. I definitely feel more capable and confident to take on things or new situations, and am more assertive in general.
  • arussell134
    Yeah, it was actually quite a surprise. With the tools and mentality that has helped me lose weight, I was able to quit smoking in July. A few weeks ago, I broke my caffeine addiction. Being active gave me more energy and enthusiasm for every day life. Somewhat out of necessity, I ended up taking on a lead role in planning and implementing my agency's first fundraiser, which more than tripled our goals. I definitely feel more capable and confident to take on things or new situations, and am more assertive in general.

WOW!!! This is crazy awesome. Thanks for sharing!!
  • Jdigs88
    Jdigs88 Posts: 71 Member
    I use one called "spending tracker," but there are a bunch. This one is free, and I set it to "weekly budget" and put a cap on what I want to spend. You can enable a feature that lets you add money to the weekly budget if you get a refund or have extra one week. I enter each expense and categorize it, and I can see 1) how much I have left for the week, and 2) where my money is going. It's really impacted how I think about spending. I include fuel, food, and fun in my budget, so shopping, entertainment, spa days, groceries, gas for my car, pharmacy expenses all go in. This way, I don't have to monitor my checking account as closely as long as I'm not over the weekly number I gave myself (which is based on income/bills/timing and such).